Candlestick Maker

Notifications
Clear all

Candlestick Maker

(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

Is anybody going to this? Has put a base line as alpine troops for the German crew players so be yet another opportunity for the GJ styling.
Its only a tenner a head for crew too.
I am going as cant make Candleston due to the expense but looking forward to this one, going to have full communication area set up to run for the event.
Thinking its an opportunity that if we spoke with Josh we could use as a bit of training time etc. I can out this forward to him if you like. plus we can get a proper camp set up done and all that too.
Thoughts?

Topic starter Posted : 20/10/2014 12:28 pm
TheChef
(@thechef)
Honorable Member

What exactly is meant by "crew" ?

German

Russian

British

Japanese

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2014 1:02 pm
(@bigkie)
Prominent Member

What exactly is meant by "crew" ?

I think the best way to describe it would be, and I am using a gaming term here, a Non Player Character. But may be put into better context by someone else but that's the best explanation that I can come up with.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/10/2014 3:16 pm
Hänschen klein
(@hanschen-klein)
Famed Member

I must say I don`t get what is supposed to be happening???

I certainly won`t be doing £55 to play games with role play. I think that is what it is unless someone can tell em different.

Crew??? I cannot see what their role is??

Agree would be more than happy to setup a camp training type thing etc but nothing is clear. "Give me the tools and I will do the job"

Not sure what sort of support these LARP games get??

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2014 3:24 pm
(@prideofengland)
Noble Member

I quite fancy this one, but as with the Longest Day its an awkward time of year for money. At least with the crew option it would not be so expensive. To be honest will have to see how the next few weeks go at work before I commit but yes I would fancy the idea of getting on my winter Gebirgs kit

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2014 3:52 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member

NPC is pretty much spot on.

Crew are there to provide the opposition to players. They play for free(er) and get to experience the thing but will be controlled as an opposition, as opposed to free playing opponents. If that makes sense.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2014 4:33 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

In the world of wargaming, they might be referred to as player umpires. Or NPCs as above.

It actually sounds like a lot of fun, wandering around Eversley dressed up in a story making role. But, as I'm going to Candlestan and I've got something on in Sheffield on the Friday, I'll be passing on this one.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2014 6:39 pm
(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

I plan to be at this one. I much prefer the role play side of things these days anyway as it is far more in depth and involved than your typical shooty airsoft.
Crewing is good fun, some of the best events I've done are in crew type role. You have to follow direction and stick to the 'plan' to make sure the story develops properly rather than choosing your own fate but I've never found it detracts from my enjoyment. I'd recommend giving it a go anyway.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 20/10/2014 7:48 pm
Hänschen klein
(@hanschen-klein)
Famed Member

Ok so I now have some idea about the crewing side

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2014 5:44 pm
TheChef
(@thechef)
Honorable Member

So is this just LARP or airsoft or what, I don't know if I'm missing something but there doesn't seem to be any proper information anywhere :? If they're wanting people to attend they need to provide more info :|

German

Russian

British

Japanese

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2014 8:40 pm
cjw957
(@cjw957)
Famed Member

think it larp with a little tad of airsoft from what i read

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2014 8:46 pm
Allenby
(@allenby)
Noble Member

In traditional sword and sorcery LARP it's called monstering.

In that context, you're basically there to get a few shades knocked out of you by latex swords whilst dressed as a tree spirit. At these you often do it for free, in exchange for getting money off your next event. Depends on the site.

I'd imagine this is similar in that you're scripted opposition. You're assigned a role, like the strutting SS Officer, told the scenario, for example, you're commanding the check point and you're not permitted to let anyone pass, then the 'playing' characters may come up in disguise and try and talk their way through, or start shooting, whatever they decide.

If you like really hamming it up at an event and getting into character, you'll most likely enjoy it and I'd recommend giving it a go at least once to try it if the idea does float your boat.

The biggest plus for this is that you're probably safe from LARP swords and axes; that was its biggest undoing and without that you erase the main source of potential friction, though like anything else it's dependent on not having any ball bags involved. I went with my other half to a local LARP site and we basically spent the day getting pulverised by these things, which culminated in her more or less getting punched in the face, which lit the Hell light and caused all sorts of shit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ReplyQuote
Posted : 21/10/2014 10:10 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

I'm actually very tempted by this, just need to think about the logistics. I don't want to make myself ill again like I did in the summer.

Cheers
Martin

Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2014 11:46 am
(@wladek)
Famed Member

I'm on a maybe maybe maybe considering perhaps level.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2014 1:22 pm
dadio
(@dadio)
Famed Member

i quite fancy this , a less shooty ,sneaky role , just being at a checkpoint checking papers ,arresting people or hunting down the players sound's fun , i'll pay at the end of the month.

armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2014 2:12 pm
Hänschen klein
(@hanschen-klein)
Famed Member

I just need to know more details something a bit more informative might get a response from more people.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2014 4:32 pm
BootedFeet
(@bootedfeet)
Honorable Member

I just need to know more details something a bit more informative might get a response from more people.

Likewise, I don't mind doing a bit of OpFor for a day, price seems reasonable I just want to know more before I book on incase there's something I don't like.

I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 22/10/2014 6:32 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

Hmm, I've been looking at this and I just don't think I can do this and Candlestan, got too many other things on at the time of year. Shame as it looks interesting.

Cheers
Martin

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/10/2014 12:16 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member

decided to give it a shot, should be fun.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/11/2014 8:11 pm
Share: