Notifications
Clear all

Airsoft Daimler Dingo

Page 2 / 3

Gadge
(@gadge)
Illustrious Member

Are real Dingos still about 20k?

Just a wild one but you could flog the mock up jeep and tank and get a real Dingo?

You'd then have something that will only appreciate in value, pretty indestructable (as in you can let people shoot at it in airsoft) and be road legal?

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2011 8:10 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I could have bought a real Dingo about 13 years ago for £3500 and they are still under £10,000 I think but drink fuel like on ones business with a weight of 3 metric tonnes and only a 55hp engine. I would think about 7 miles to the gallon if lucky maybe.

I could make a full-scale rep and tow it faster behind a car and it would cost a fraction on the fuel cost.

I also like the challenge of building stuff compared to buying, if I wasn't doing this I would probably be building something else :giggle:

I am thinking it could weigh about the same as the tank and trailer do near 1000kg. I was able to tow them to Birmingham and back on one tank of diesel at 60mph about £70.
Liverpool to Birmingham and back 160miles that would be about 22 gallons in a Dingo I think so about £140 or more not sure of prices at the moment.

A real Dingo can do 55mph at full speed but not sure if I would like to do it for long and on a motorway.

All this is just an idea at the moment and don’t want to buy parts unless I can see how it can all work.

Watch Vid
Free speech is expensive these days!

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/08/2011 9:44 pm

Joseph Porta
(@joseph-porta)
Famed Member

anything over the weight of the towing car is illegal.

a real dingo and trailer would weigh more than a v8 landrover or 4.0 jeep or pajero, so you would need to have it transported to site, which would cost hundreds if not thousands per event.

the only reason ive not plunged in to tracks is because of the transport costs.

also, anything towed over 2.2 tonnes , and the towing car/truck needs a tachograph fitting, which is another grand, then costs of admin for it.
99% of the time, you would probably get away with it, but i can assure you all, VOSA are clamping down big time on trailers and towing at the moment, even non-commercal users, like caravans and car/bike transporting. i know as i was dealing with the North West area VOSA inspector last month.

so unless you own a site and store a real steel AFV on it, tracks/AFV`s are for rich people only

"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/08/2011 9:51 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I have seen custom wheel rims made for kit car owners that may be an answer or look at front wheel drive Transit suspension and power units but try and narow the track to look right.

EDIT
I just found this place that makes custom rims.
http://www.wide-wheels.co.uk/

Anyway I just thought I would look a Mondeo over in the car park to see what space is above the standard wheel between the rubber and the base of the strut spring and there isn't much maybe 2.5 - 3" so that would be an other problem if it had large profile tyres on the wheels.
However the offset of the wheel could be moved if custom rims were made, and the tyre may then clear the strut.

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/08/2011 10:14 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

Last week I nearly bought a set of 4 struts and hubs from a Landrover Freelander as they all had drive shafts and looked easy to work with.
I was told I could have the lot for £100 if I collected from Stafford :shock:

Anyway it all comes back to the wheel rims in the end, I think the Freelander uses 15" and not compatible with the tyres I want to fit also the steel rims look nothing like a basic WW2 style.

So I keep going back to Ford for this idea as I think Transit hubs and struts would be man enough for the job.
I think it would be Transit front hubs from a front wheel drive for the rear and rear wheel drive Transit front hubs for the front.

Now what I don't know is compatibility with the drive shafts gearboxes and engines across the ford range.
If using a narrower track than a transit which is about 1.8m wide and reducing to 1.7 Mondeo sort of width would I be able to fit a Mondeo engine and gearbox and have drive shafts that are short to connect to a transit hub?

Maybe the Transit box is geared better for this purpose than a Mondeo box so would a smaller 1.8 engine fit on a Transit gearbox :?

I think in terms of the wheel rims it could be that custom mods to the rims would be the way to go, the transit struts and hubs look strong enough and the right dimensions to look right for the job. Freelander and Mondeo hubs have too small a PCD and hence the wheel bearings are probably not up to large diameter wheels.

PS
Porta is spot on in what says hence why I keep my stuff light compared to the tow vehicle.
Aluminium has to be used for the body and weight has to be kept down where ever possible.

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/09/2011 8:20 am

cdfw
 cdfw
(@cdfw)
Reputable Member

Although not ideal, have you thought about adaptor plates. You could then virtually fit any type of wheel to any running gear.. As I said not ideal because it puts extra strain on the running gear, but heh your hardly going to be rallying in it.. There is the extra cost envolved of having them made but you could then choose the cheapest and simplest option for building your chassis making life a little easier.. Just a thought..
Regards Chris.

'Non adepto demens. Adepto etiam'
War does not show who is right, only who is left..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2011 8:34 am

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

Although not ideal, have you thought about adaptor plates. You could then virtually fit any type of wheel to any running gear.. As I said not ideal because it puts extra strain on the running gear, but heh your hardly going to be rallying in it.. There is the extra cost envolved of having them made but you could then choose the cheapest and simplest option for building your chassis making life a little easier.. Just a thought..
Regards Chris.

Yes I know what you mean mate.
I am looking at the Transit struts as I think the springs will clear a large diameter wheel also the PCD is close 5x160 on a Transit and 5x165 on a Landrover so a conversion plate may work well with that setup.

Look at the price :o
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROVER-RA ... 2558b2b2ca

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/09/2011 8:54 am

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I know I said I was giving up on the Mondeo as the wheels and hubs didn't look good, but I have been looking around and found these 2 items.
PCD list here http://www.carlsalter.com/wheel_fitments.html

16" Fords rims for a Transit connect that have the same PCD as a Mondeo
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit- ... 53db9c8acf

And these 205/80R16 tyres that may fit them.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x4-205-80R16- ... 0264262222

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 19/09/2011 3:02 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

This is a nice picture find as it shows the idea I had for the chassis is similar to the real one.

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/09/2011 7:54 am

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I have decided to have a play with the Mondeo idea after all as I have spoken to the guy selling the tyres above 205/80R16 and he says they should fit the Mondeo / Transit Connect rims ok and not peel off.
The wheels should have and OD of about 29" which is about 1" more than a WW2 jeep wheel and tyre OD.

Also I think the 108mm PCD may be ok as I had a look at the PCD on modern US jeeps and they are only 114mm so only 6mm difference in the mounting circle through the wheel nuts.

So I am ordering 2 full struts with hubs, discs and callipers, may also buy the engine subframe 2x wishbones and steering rack that will help sort out the geometry for engine and gearbox mounting.

Doing it this way will give me standard drive shaft lengths and no problem having to shorten them as I would with a Transit suspension and drive system.
The low weight I intend for the vehicle should help reduce any stress on the wheel bearings from the larger tyres I hope. :D

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 20/09/2011 2:27 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

Here is a good photo of the Mondeo parts.
-- attachment is not available --

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 26/09/2011 12:09 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I got wheels and an engine :good:

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/10/2011 9:34 am

cdfw
 cdfw
(@cdfw)
Reputable Member

From little acorns...

'Non adepto demens. Adepto etiam'
War does not show who is right, only who is left..

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2011 1:28 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I have started to play with the struts.
I now have 3 ideas on how to modify them but not sure on the best option.
Just used a new Samsung digital camcorder for this and the sound isn't good on a windy day so sorry. :cry:

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 28/12/2011 5:25 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

A update on the MONDINGO as I am now calling it :giggle:

I have modified 2 of the 2000cc Mondeo struts but it now looks like I have to buy 2 more struts and an other 2000cc subframe to match. :x

[youtube2]zWUAA5OrdWs[/youtube2]

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 03/01/2012 10:25 am

McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

MONDINGO as I am now calling it :giggle:

'Polish Rob', a fellow electronic test engineer of mine (so called, to distinguish him from 'Southern Rob' as I am now known :roll: ) owns an old Mondeo, and at first he couldn't say "Mondeo" and so called it "Mondingo"! Weird coincidence, eh? Especially as he lives in South Nottingham, around the area where the dingos were built! Even weirder...

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 03/01/2012 10:38 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

:rofl: Thanks for that mate.

Anyway I got 2 more struts to mod just just need an other subframe now and some good weather that is :wink:

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 04/01/2012 8:02 am

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I started to try and work out how the chassis should look so put a few bits together to see how the function with the big wheels.

I was trying to think out how to make both ends of the chassis the same but due to wheel movement and engine position they will have to be made different. As the rear is to have the steering locked the chassis can run closer to the wheels and as there isn't an engine in the front the chassis can be moved away from the wheels.

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/01/2012 12:41 pm

(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

My offer still stands to make a chassis for you Nige! Would be hugely stronger and the body then isn't structural!
I have made lots of hot rods/ drag car chassis in the past, I have 2 more jeeps to modify/ build ,but a chassis isn't all that difficult then you have nice strong leaf springs :good:

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2012 11:18 pm

oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

My offer still stands to make a chassis for you Nige! Would be hugely stronger and the body then isn't structural!
I have made lots of hot rods/ drag car chassis in the past, I have 2 more jeeps to modify/ build ,but a chassis isn't all that difficult then you have nice strong leaf springs :good:

Coils will look good and more accurate, if I went to laves it would be a total change of all my parts I now have.
Thanks though :D

Lightness is what I need here if I can get it.

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 01/02/2012 6:56 am

Page 2 / 3

Share: