Boots falling to pi...

Notifications
Clear all

Boots falling to pieces

Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

I donned a pair of assault boots to walk to work on the ice today. Dunno how old they are, but not that old - and I've just realised that the black bits which are falling off are not lumps of dirt, but rubber! They're falling to bits! Can any ex-mob tell me if this a known problem with them ? Are BCH any harder wearing ?

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

Topic starter Posted : 07/01/2010 1:38 pm
Forester
(@forester)
Noble Member

can you remember the headlines a few years ago.........boots melting in the desert heat ? i have seen a few boots start to disintegrate for no apparent reason, perhaps something not right during construction/moulding the soles ?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 3:10 pm
Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

"Made by the cheapest bidder" is a phrase you should know Andy. Never had this problem with the old BCH's though. I wear assault boots for work and they've been ok so far (touch wood) but I prefer BCH.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 3:29 pm
(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

I've given up trying to wear my assault boots for walking any kind of distance. They just seem to tear my feet to bits no matter what, so I only wear them for chopping wood now. They keep loosing eyelets as well, something they're apparently notorious for.

I love my BCH however, but they're no longer as waterproof as they were thanks to an old metal fence post.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 5:52 pm
Ramsay00105
(@ramsay00105)
Honorable Member

My assault boot soles also fell to pieces after a bit of hard work.
I do remember the BCH I used in the TA as being harder wearing. However I also remember that the pattern of the sole was awful and collected Mud and Snow until you were walking on very slippery platform shoes.

15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 6:09 pm
fremsley
(@fremsley)
Prominent Member

I've had a second hand pair of assualt boots for over a year. I think they're great - comfy with good grip - maybe I've got a rogue pair?

Whats BCH? No relation to DMS or NI boots?

I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 6:53 pm
Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

BCH = Boots, Combat High.

They replaced DMS and preceded the assault boots.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 6:54 pm
McVickers
(@mcvickers)
Famed Member

However I also remember that the pattern of the sole was awful and collected Mud and Snow until you were walking on very slippery platform shoes.

I can certainly concur! Currently wearing a pair of current production BCH (usually intended for cadets, etc...) and I'm not impressed with them at all. I loved my original pair of BCH - I got them second-hand and they lasted me 2.5 years! I've been using current production Assault Boots which last just over a year at a time on my feet, but my local supplier has run out of my size ('13L' if anyone knows where I can get some ). I've gone back to wearing BCH, but this pair I've got are awful - they outer leather layer tore and scuffed easily, they leak and the insides have fully fallen apart!

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 6:55 pm
Joseph Porta
(@joseph-porta)
Famed Member

my assault boot sole disintergrated

id left em in the cubard for a year and put em on, no problems, soon as i started running the soles dropped off in tiny peices leaving the inner sole exposed and like bog paper for soaking up water

it may be the rubber perishes if left in storage and not kept supple

"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 8:38 pm
slick63
(@slick63)
Noble Member

Oddly enough not a dissimilar episode to Steiners here. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?p=623071#post623071

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 8:43 pm
HeadShot
(@headshot)
Illustrious Member

I've been wearing a very nice pair of Raichle boots with Vibram soles. They work perfectly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 9:23 pm
Gadge
(@gadge)
Illustrious Member

I had no issues with BCH when i was soldiering, as soon as assault boots were available I deliberately 'distressed' my field pair with a hammer so the colour would swap em.. regretted that as they were not as good IMO. All right but not brilliant.

Ended up 'acquiring' a pair of issue pro boots which lasted beautifully for about six years then fell apart on the sole as the OP described.

I was surprised as my BCH had been worn smooth on the sole they had that much use before they went but the pro boots just fell to bits in chunks.

These days I use matterhorns with goretex lining and they seem to be holding up well and as comfy as the pro boots.

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/01/2010 9:29 pm
TARPEY
(@tarpey)
Reputable Member

My UGG boots are fine

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/01/2010 9:26 am
CHThree
(@chthree)
Noble Member

I had some Pro boots for a good few years but I hardly wore them before I started airsofting, then it took about three years, playing maybe once a month on average before they split across the sole. :( That's only about 30 - 40 days actual use. I think the rubber only has a limited lifespan before it starts to break down

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2010 6:58 pm
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

In addition to the heels falling to bits, I noticed the sole had split right across - similarly to Porta, mine had been inside for a while, but not worn. I checked out my BCH soles, which similarly have not been worn for a while, but they seem to be a lot tougher, like DMS soles - hopefully will be ok.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/01/2010 7:48 pm
(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

Those of you who insist on deviating from leather and iron when it comes to footwear only have yourselves to blame.

If it were good enough for the Kaiser and King George it's good enough for you.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2010 9:57 pm
Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

I dunno, judging by Andys' posts, the British Army have gone all green on us, they've got the worlds' first biodegradable boots!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2010 10:11 pm
fremsley
(@fremsley)
Prominent Member

Speaking of which. How do Ammo Boots cope in the current icy conditions? I'm too chicken to test mine, as my I assume they would act like skates!

I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/01/2010 10:20 pm
(@pimms)
Reputable Member

I used to work in an army surplus, and I can testify that in a batch of 100 assult boots, only about 10-20 of them were up to standard, and the others were brought back by customers with very similar complaints. also, what looks like black leather, is actually a plastic coating over very crap rough leather. If you can buy older versions of the boot you will be better off. But if you ever have the impulse to want to buy them coz they are cheap, do yourself a favour and don't.

Regards

Pimms

Hang on! (x) of you, (y) of me, dont mind playing Airsoft, I make that Pimms O’clock

ReplyQuote
Posted : 15/01/2010 9:37 pm
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Thanks for the info, Pimms. BCH for the win, then. :)

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 16/01/2010 10:38 am
Share: