Info needed on Brit...

Notifications
Clear all

Info needed on British GPMG

Pete_59
(@pete_59)
Noble Member

I've posted this on other sites but got no response so I thought I'd try here even though this isn't WW2 related;

I've just got a crossfire replica GPMG that I'm intending to convert into an airsoft weapon, there's a few things I need to know;

First was the carrying handle in a fixed position, it is on the replica and most pictures that I've seen but some seem to be fitted with a movable handle.

Next does the bipod allow for any rotation as the replica one doesn't.

Finally, I found references to a 58 pattern pouch being used as a magazine, the picture below, which was taken in the Falklands, shows one in use, does anyone know what type of pouch was used and how it would be attached to the GPMG.-- attachment is not available --

Topic starter Posted : 25/05/2015 8:16 am

Wildwilly
(@wildwilly)
Trusted Member

Carry handle is fixed,

Bipod allows some movement when deployed (raking fire)

pouch is normally a waterbottle pouch fastened under the feed tray

ReplyQuote
Posted : 25/05/2015 9:03 am

Pete_59
(@pete_59)
Noble Member

Carry handle is fixed,

Bipod allows some movement when deployed (raking fire)

pouch is normally a waterbottle pouch fastened under the feed tray

Thanks for the info and the quick response :good:

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 25/05/2015 9:32 am

MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

Fascinating, the guy on the left seems to have some 95 pattern features on his smock (chest rank tab and big button next to the safety pin on his left chest pocket flap). Maybe its a Para thing.

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2015 1:29 pm

Moss
 Moss
(@moss)
Prominent Member

I think he might have the arctic smock on, they were fairly common in the Falklands.
[EDIT] They also have large buttons, they're easier to grip through thick gloves I suppose.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/05/2015 3:51 pm

Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

The carrying handle isn't fixed on a real Gimpy. It locks to the side and, when you pull on it, it releases to the vertical position for carriage. It's also part of the barrel release system, along with a latch on the side (you hold the catch whilst pulling the handle). Most of the movement in the bipod is front to back (any soldier will tell you that you "rock" the gun on the bipod when getting into position) but, there is limited horizontal travel.

Pretty sure the pouch is a 7.62 bandolier, you can see the press studs on them.

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 28/05/2015 5:51 pm

Share: