Spanish civil war

Notifications
Clear all

Spanish civil war

Moss
 Moss
(@moss)
Prominent Member

Anyone here with an interest in the Spanish civil war and reenacting the conflict?

Recently bought an Adrian helmet and a Spanish leather belt equipment set and am going to be building a few impressions up over the next year, was just wondering if there was anyone on here with any similar interest?

Cheers,
Dejan.

Topic starter Posted : 29/01/2017 9:27 pm
MartinR
(@martinr)
Famed Member

The SCW is something I've wargamed for years, but as far as dressing up goes, no.

I'd only need a boiler suit and an enormous Basque beret though. No pasaran!

Cheers
Martin

"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2017 11:45 am
CHThree
(@chthree)
Noble Member

Quite, I'd only need a blue boiler suit.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 31/01/2017 8:56 pm
Moss
 Moss
(@moss)
Prominent Member

I'm going to be talking with some Spanish reenactors about repro uniforms soon, so I'll see where that takes me but I believe there are cheap and widely available German surplus blue overalls on ebay if anyone wants to go down the CNT/FAI route. A nice pair of white espadrilles would top it all off nicely.

POUM (Marxist militia George Orwell fought in) is easy enough too; period civilian shirt, corduroy trousers, long puttees, a leather jacket and some sort of SCW typical headgear, like a Pasamontana or a black beret.

I'll post pictures in this thread once I've sorted my impressions out. I'm planning to do quite a few as there's just so many different factions.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 31/01/2017 9:41 pm
Moss
 Moss
(@moss)
Prominent Member

Thought I'd post this up incase anyone was interested. Just a snap of my Spanish belt equipment and my Adrian helmet that I converted to Spanish spec in December by filling in the holes at the front and painting it the appropriate colour. The breadbag is a Bulgarian one and the water bottle is a Swedish one, they are just cheap stand-ins for the time being. I have a lead on uniforms too so I will be updating this soon.-- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/03/2018 10:51 pm
(@evilmonkee)
Estimable Member

I am massively interested in the SCW, got a bookshelf full of books on it and wargame it at 28mm with my Maj Attlee Battalion based off the British Battalion just before Jarama. Doubt we could ever get enough interest for a SCW airsoft game however....

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/03/2018 11:43 pm
Moss
 Moss
(@moss)
Prominent Member

Yeah it'd be a challenge to get numbers for an SCW airsoft game, though there is interest in reenacting it. I'm actually getting kit together for my impression of the British Battalion at Jarama. I found a source for the correct uniform and already have some usable bits I've got from charity shops. I'd like to see some of your 28mm figures if you have any pics?

Thinking about it kit for both sides could be quite easy, as the nationalist uniform was pretty much just a light olive shirt, olive green breeches or trousers with or without puttees in the case of the breeches, an olive green wool jacket on some fronts and an isabellino side cap with tassle. Or could go down the route of Moroccan regulares which is again pretty easy and cheap, basically just khaki, loose fitting trouser and a khaki shirt, a light khaki turban-like headdress and a wool blanket poncho in the cold. Webbing can be any old leather pouches really as the proper SCW stuff can be quite difficult to get, even repros.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 11/03/2018 12:09 pm
(@evilmonkee)
Estimable Member

Who is reenacting it? Any groups on FB? I wrote to the IWM enquiring about what they are planning to do for the anniversary a few years back ans shamefully they were doing nothing. Disgusts me that the British contribution to the SCW has been largely forgotten. Not sure how to attach pics here of my figures will look when I get home. I use Empress Miniatures SCW, got loads of Republicans done and painted...no nationalists yet - just cant bring myself to paint them LOL. I play them in Bolt Action as Soviets.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 13/03/2018 10:39 am
Moss
 Moss
(@moss)
Prominent Member

https://m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1 ... ent_filter

La Columna are the only active group in the UK doing SCW. They seem to mainly do various militia impressions but there's some great info on their page about all of the Republican forces and links to Spanish reenactors too.

They don't seem to do many events but their page is a good place to find people with similar interests. There seems to be a contingent of Brits who go over to Spain and reenact the British Battalion.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/03/2018 2:17 pm
Moss
 Moss
(@moss)
Prominent Member

It is utterly shameful the way British volunteers have been forgotten about, especially when you look at the amount of men who actually went. I hope more will be done for their memory in the future, there's a memorial in my local town hall but it's hidden away and has possibly been removed as they're carrying out works on the building. Hopefully they'll replace it if that's the case.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 13/03/2018 2:35 pm
Share: