willys jeep hood

Notifications
Clear all

willys jeep hood

Page 1 / 2

e-company
(@e-company)
Estimable Member

Hi all, just wonder is there different sizes in length of hoods on the willys jeeps,some are flush with the grill and i have seen some over hang.
cheers.

(REF) GUNMAN AIRSOFT
CO Easy Company,506th PIR,101st Airborne

Topic starter Posted : 04/09/2009 6:18 pm
(@no1_sonuk)
Noble Member

Could it be a difference between the Ford and Willys made jeeps?

ReplyQuote
Posted : 04/09/2009 6:34 pm
e-company
(@e-company)
Estimable Member

Just wanted to know if they done different lengths,mine is 33 1/4 inchs,i like the overhang look on some of the pics of MB's,so wanted to know if jeep owners out there were all the same size.

(REF) GUNMAN AIRSOFT

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/09/2009 11:15 pm
Ramsay00105
(@ramsay00105)
Honorable Member

Yes there are differences between the Bantam/Ford/Willys/Hotchkiss production on many details. What model is your jeep from it's dataplate and then I can find out and advise further on what it should have.

15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2009 10:24 am
e-company
(@e-company)
Estimable Member

Sadly i havern't got real willys,mine is a replica on a suzuki sj410 chassis 80 inch wheel base,with a complete repro tub etc,every thing (ie; measurements etc)are based on the 1943 MB,just need to find the bonnet roughly 44 inches ,so i can get it finished sprayed in light olive green :) .

cheers all

(REF) GUNMAN AIRSOFT

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 07/09/2009 7:35 pm
Steve.D
(@steve-d)
Noble Member

Contact Oddball, he knows of a supplier I think that can make custom jeep tops, he has a SJ410 lookalike jeep himself,

Steve.D

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2009 10:27 pm
oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I got mine made at a local tent maker in Southport. It is just the basic top and back with window cost about £100 I think.
They like to take the measurements themselves though!

You can try John and Mary Worthing http://www.milweb.net/dealers.php cant see them listed though.

or http://www.milweb.net/go/alliedforces/

Watch Vid
Free speech is expensive these days!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 07/09/2009 10:45 pm
Aitch
(@aitch)
Trusted Member

Hi, I was going to measure up the bonnet of the Majors jeep for you yesterday but..... Next time I am at the workshop I'll try to remember, failling that contact him on the DogCo boards...

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2009 8:03 am
(@no1_sonuk)
Noble Member

Contact Oddball, he knows of a supplier I think that can make custom jeep tops, he has a SJ410 lookalike jeep himself,

By "hood", he means the bonnet, not the canvas roof/doors. Though he might need those too.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2009 8:28 am
oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

By "hood", he means the bonnet, not the canvas roof/doors. Though he might need those too.

:P OK I thought he was using a standard Jeep Parts body tub hence my confusion :D

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2009 11:34 am
e-company
(@e-company)
Estimable Member

oh well,looks like i will have to make one and order the brackets to strengthen it,cheers all

(REF) GUNMAN AIRSOFT

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/09/2009 6:09 pm
oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I have a fibreglass jeep bonnet melded off a real jeep in my garage do you want some pics and dimensions to play with?

The bonnet on my jeep can not be much off spec as I could fit the real jeep grill I have if I wanted as the size is near the same.

So have you made the tub or got it from Jeep parts UK?

I would think you should be able to make one if you make a wooden ply former to fold it over.

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/09/2009 7:58 pm
e-company
(@e-company)
Estimable Member

cheers oddball,i got all the bits from jeep parts uk,but having problems with the radiator and fan,i have 2 choices,1. make my own fenders and bonnet , 2. try and fit the fan close as possible to the pully wheel and find the thiniest radiator i can get then i can use the repro fenders and use the old bonnet,after doing alot of thinking and measureing i need a radiator about 1 1/4 inchs thick.
And all so do you know if i have to get it re registered because change of body,the chassis,engine,and all the running gear is still the suzuki sj410.

cheers

couple of old pics-- attachment is not available --

(REF) GUNMAN AIRSOFT

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/09/2009 6:21 pm
oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I suspect a re-register may be on the cards for you as the bulk head (panel behind the engine is different from original). However I have been told it may not be such a big problem to pass SVA test.
My jeep has the original bulkhead as well as the chassis running & engine so slipped through the net so to speak.

That looks like a nice job, I take it the wheel / axle positions have lined up with the arches ok without chassis mods.
Maybe 2 bike rads could be used plumbed together.
Or how about original rad and electric fan or 2 fans 1 each side

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/09/2009 10:08 pm
e-company
(@e-company)
Estimable Member

Every thing fell in to align,just had to trim 24mm off the rear of the chassis,i am well happy with it so far,its not an easy job to do,spent most of my time with a measure tape.
i will look into electric fans,cheers oddball

(REF) GUNMAN AIRSOFT

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 09/09/2009 10:26 pm
oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

With some ingenuity you may be able to work a thermostat in to turn the fans on and off saving fuel.

EDIT
http://cgi.ebay.com/ELECTRIC-COOLING-FA ... .m63.l1177

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2009 6:19 am
(@no1_sonuk)
Noble Member

And don't forget to not go above 3rd gear to get the sound right!

ReplyQuote
Posted : 10/09/2009 8:04 am
oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

I was just having a look for a new rear diff for my jeep and saw these & thought of you!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Suzuki-LJ-SJ-16-s ... 286.c0.m14

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Posted : 11/09/2009 1:00 pm
oddball
(@oddball)
Famed Member

Maybe this will help I just found it.

Watch Vid

ReplyQuote
Posted : 12/09/2009 6:52 am
e-company
(@e-company)
Estimable Member

Great find there,wish i had that 6 months ago,would of save me alot of time,but i will keep that and do a few changes to it,ie where to cut off certain bits and add bits,just in case someone wants to build one.

cheers oddball.

(REF) GUNMAN AIRSOFT

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 12/09/2009 11:27 pm
Page 1 / 2
Share: