Civilian Staff.

50 Posts
19 Users
0 Likes
(@wladek)
Famed Member
Topic starter

Go Team! :ghey:

This is a place wear we can discuss our battle plans, but we aren't trained in army stuff so the enemy can just read it. :giggle:

no, really what I wanted to say was today I ordered myself a lab coat, brown 3 piece and burgundy bow tie, so if anyone was thinking of wearing that - you can't now, for under the law of bagsie it is mine. :whistle:

SO, firstly, what is everyone wearing?

And secondly, should I get a brown fedora? I have a trilby but it is black and would surely clash with the suit... hmmmm, decisions decisions.

Posted : 06/01/2010 1:52 pm
(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

Definitely the Fedora. A Trilby will make you look like Doktor Ska - head of the 1980's 2-Tone Department.

Posted : 06/01/2010 2:18 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I agree, although I do like the name Doktor Ska.

Posted : 06/01/2010 2:20 pm
dieselmonkey
(@dieselmonkey)
Noble Member

hats are all well and good, but it's dashed bad etiquette to wear them indoors. :D

As for outfits, if you can get a labcoat, that'd be great, but any period/period-looking/non military clothing will be fine.

Posted : 06/01/2010 2:36 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member
Topic starter

hats are all well and good, but it's dashed bad etiquette to wear them indoors. :D

And what do you propose I do between the car and the entrance? Look like some kind of hatless scoundrel? :shock:

Posted : 06/01/2010 2:58 pm
dieselmonkey
(@dieselmonkey)
Noble Member

And what do you propose I do between the car and the entrance? Look like some kind of hatless scoundrel? :shock:

Lord no. Of course, the fedora would be idea for that situation.

Posted : 06/01/2010 3:33 pm
Seanebabes
(@seanebabes)
Reputable Member

As for outfits, if you can get a labcoat, that'd be great, but any period/period-looking/non military clothing will be fine.

Ahhh, the thorny subject of hat etiquette. Splendid. About time we talked about important things on this forum.
It is not always necessary for gentlemen to remove their hats simply because they are no longer under God's excellent blue skies. Many enclosed areas are considered to be 'outdoors' for the purpose of hat wearing. A general rule of thumb is the issue of seating. If seating is available to the gentleman then the area is considered 'indoors' and hats should be removed. If seating is not available then we may consider this to be 'outdoors' for the purpose of hat wearing. For our particular scenario I would tentatively suggest that draughty corridors are 'outdoors' but whilst busily working on splitting the atom in our laboratories hats should be removed by gentlemen as this is clearly 'indoors'.
As an aside there are areas which may fall into both categories simultaneously. The most striking example perhaps is when travelling on the omnibus. If standing the gentleman is outdoors, if seated he is indoors. A purely academic point of course, as what self respecting gentleman would be on a bus? Surely he would be safely ensconced within an enclosed sedan chair?
As for hat doffing, I refer you to the excellent work done by 'The Chap' magazine on the subject. However do bear in mind that we are portraying the 1940's so no modern doffs please.

Posted : 06/01/2010 4:44 pm
(@scaleyback)
Famed Member

might i make an observation?

homberg. the chosen headwear of royalty circa 1940's churchil wore one, king george wore one, i believe in his early political years, hitler wore one. ( and i saw a pic of my grandad harry wearing one, planting spuds on his allotment during ww2)

Posted : 06/01/2010 5:28 pm
Barrie and Anne
(@barrie-and-anne)
Noble Member

Thanks for the info Seanebabes, very interesting. No really.

We will be sporting labcoats with generic (and probably slightly farby (why break the habit of a liftetime)) 40's civilian garb underneath. Since Wladek has already bagsied the brown suit, I shall go for a black suit. Anne is as yet undecided.

But what are we badging up as?

Can I be a rocket scientist please? I know it's a heavy water plant but I hate chemisty and the bomb's going to need a delivery system surely...

Regarding tactics, I suggest we bore everyone with incessant mathematics, or failing that, throw blackboard rubbers at them. We're not bringing any guns to this airsoft event so we've got to be creative.

Posted : 06/01/2010 5:55 pm
Sgt.Heide
(@sgt-heide)
Illustrious Member

You could always scrape your fingernails down a blackboard, that'll make even the bravest run for it!

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!

Posted : 06/01/2010 6:07 pm
(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

Try any of that blackboard stuff with us engineers and you'll feel the heavy end of my wrench! :wife:

Posted : 06/01/2010 6:23 pm
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Rich, that is a picture of a wench, not a wrench. :wink:

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

Posted : 06/01/2010 6:24 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member
Topic starter

And you know there are no wenches allowed on site. :waggle: Gadge 'll have your head if he finds her, quick put her in the broom closet. :whistle:

Posted : 06/01/2010 6:30 pm
(@lardassmonkey)
Famed Member

Rich, that is a picture of a wench, not a wrench.

Ah, so thats where I've been going wrong. All this time you lot have been complaining I was wondering why you didn't just buy a new tool kit. :slap:

And you know there are no wenches allowed on site. :waggle: Gadge 'll have your head if he finds her, quick put her in the broom closet.

We'll have to smuggle her in under your lab coat.

Posted : 06/01/2010 7:04 pm
Joseph Porta
(@joseph-porta)
Famed Member

im quite a fan of the top hat myself :D

"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

Posted : 07/01/2010 9:42 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member
Topic starter

well I find it personally amazing how 'dark blue' can look distinctly like 'dark brown' in a photograph. :whistle:

Well I shall now be sporting an sombre dark blue number, and all my hopes of looking like the evil Professor Jones Junior have evaporated like so much warm lemonade. At least I have learnt how to tie a bow tie, well nearly, and my trilby now goes with the suit most fittingly.

Posted : 16/01/2010 5:31 pm
Barrie and Anne
(@barrie-and-anne)
Noble Member

Wladek, I've just realised, we're going to need slide rules.

Here's a nice period one, if we order now it should make it in time from the States - http://www.rose-vintage-instruments.com ... de%20Rules

I think I can dig up some log tables so no need to worry on that score.

Posted : 19/01/2010 8:29 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member
Topic starter

I may have to charge upon you with with the Yorkshire war-cry there!!

I am going to be one of those scientists that doesn't use a slide rule...

Posted : 21/01/2010 1:50 pm
webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

Free-hand for the old school!

Posted : 21/01/2010 1:52 pm
 stof
(@stof)
Prominent Member

Argh ! slide rule kills ! or being noiselessly smothered by log tables !

Posted : 21/01/2010 3:10 pm
Page 1 / 3
Share: