Notifications
Clear all

operation freshman - What do you need to bring/do/avoid...?

85 Posts
25 Users
0 Likes
Gadge
(@gadge)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Operation Freshman

What you need to bring and pre – battle activity.

As PBI need some time to set the battle arena up before the opening of hostilities on Sunday morning we’d request that you do not arrive at the site until 6pm on the Saturday evening. In addition to avoid, props, pyro or surprises being disturbed prematurely the tunnels past the safe area themselves are out of bounds to all players until the missions begin on Sunday morning.

If you arrive early and find yourself at a loose end there is plenty ot do of a military nature in Portsmouth including:

Royal Armouries
D-Day Museum
Various historic ships to visit in the dockyards including Nelsons flagship Victory and a submarine you can go inside.
Sabre Sales army surplus shop (a veritable treasure trove)
USMC military store (for more modern kit, MREs and earplugs!)

Traditionally players tend to get to Sabre Sales first to rummage through their stock and look around Portsmouth in the afternoon before the event. For those wanting some no frills simple food, the ‘greasy spoon’ café near the amusement arcade across from Sabre is cheap, functional and relatively pleasant food. Similarly the pub round the corner from Sabre Sales with the large beer garden is also quite pleasant.

For sleeping on the Saturday night.

Sleeping Bag
You’ll need a decent sleeping bag as the tunnels get cold, a camp bed or inflatable bed to raise you off the concrete floor is advisable – at the very least bring a roll mat.
Earplugs
The equation of older airsofter + alcohol + small sleeping area = Excessive Snoring means that EARPLUGS are advisable.
Torch
We’ll be enforcing ‘lights out’ and noise curfew from 1am and you may require a torch to light your way if you plan any nocturnal bathroom visits 
For in game use your torch should be 1940s in appearance and of a reasonable power (no maglites, head torches or weapon mounted lights etc)

For the Combat Missions

Eye Protection
First and foremost, remember to pack your eye protection. PBI will bring a couple of spare pairs but obviously these will be limited and really there in case of breakage or loss on the day. While it can detract from the look, full face protection is a good idea for those worried about the close combat element of this battle.

Your Uniform/Civilian Attire
Pretty obvious really, again bare in mind it can be chilly in there and wet on the floor, while we assume most players will arrive in modern civilian dress and change for the battle, if you’re planning on driving to and from the event in your kit remember you could potentially be wet and dirty so a change of clothes is recommended!

Your personal weapon/AEG
Again, a bit of a no brainer. Given the nature of the UCAP site a pistol is often as much use as a SMG. Remember UCAP have a strict 330fps limit with a .20g BB and all guns will be chronoed. If you bring a hot gun them you’ll be running around unarmed! If you have a back up weapon (again period guns only please) do bring it but bear in mind that you will not be allowed to run around carrying a plethora of firearms and will have to choose *one* with which to equip yourself. A change of weapon is permitted should your primary choice fail.

Knife/spanner/screwdriver kills etc are not only permitted but encouraged and all weapons of a ‘hand to hand’ nature must be safe and approved by UCAP and PBI before use.

Pyro and Grenades

Smoke grenades and thermo baric grenades are not permitted for player use. .22 BFGs are recommended but 9mm is acceptable for those without adapters. All other pyro must be bought by UCAP as they have certain brands they prefer/allow. No pea grenades or home made pyro allowed and in the case of ‘heath robinson’ devices – asked to leave.

General Notes

Food and Drink

Lunch is provided as part of your day fee on the Sunday, as is tea and coffee in the safe area throughout the day. You will need to bring your own food (and a means of cooking it) if you are staying with us on Saturday.

It is also recommended to keep a few ‘energy bar’ type snacks on your personal kit to top yourself up with during the battle. Period snacks and food are encouraged but we wont through you out for munching on a tracker bar during a break.

All players are encouraged to carry water with them to avoid de hydration via exertion (civilian staff are exempt form this as water will be provided)

Facilities
Free tea & coffee is available all night/day
Water is available in the safezone
Hot water urn is on all the time
Portaloo is available in the safezone Battery charging available on-site
Chrono available on-site
Burger van is nearby for breakfast
Indian takeaway will deliver to the tunnels on Sat night!

Drugs and Alcohol

Any player found in the possession (or using) illegal (or questionably legal) non prescription drugs will be asked to give the organisers some… no actually they’ll be asked to leave and barred from any future PBI events – not only is it naughty and illegal but mind altering chemicals and high velocity pellet guns are not a winning combination.

Those players taking prescription medicines are asked to inform PBI and UCAP of the nature of any specific illnesses so that in the event of an emergency we can get you the correct care as quickly as possible (diabetic etc).

On a lighter note we’ll be having a pre game ‘social’ in the safe area on the Saturday night that all players are invited to attend. While we want you to have fun please drink moderately as it not only wrecks your day if you’re suffering from a hangover in a fire fight but impacts on your fellow players as well. To that end we ask all player to respect a 1am curfew on drinking, noise and light to provide all players with a decent chance to sleep (again you’ll not regret taking ear plugs).

Smoking

Smoking is not permitted inside the facility

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."

Posted : 01/02/2010 11:32 am
panzerfaust joust
(@panzerfaust-joust)
Reputable Member

Just a quick question, (and please forgive me if it sounds a bit pedantic) but would it be possible to unload our gear and weapons somewhere before six pm? As I would be a bit concerned about parking my car somewhere in town with my RIF's in the boot.

.-..-. .- --. .- .. -. / .-- .. - .... / - .... . / -. . --. .- - .. ...- . / .-- .- ...- . ... --..-- / -- --- .-. .. .- .-. - -.-- .-.-.- .-..-.

Posted : 01/02/2010 12:52 pm
Gadge
(@gadge)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

I'll have to check but I dont think its usually done, they usually have a game on the saturday day and a full car park.

Posted : 01/02/2010 12:55 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Sorry for the stupid question but what does 'chronoed' mean? Cause I don't think I have it if its a piece of equipment having never done airsofting.

Posted : 01/02/2010 12:57 pm
Gadge
(@gadge)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

A chronograph measures the velocity of your AEG.

If your gun fires at over 330 foot per second using .20g ammunition it wont be allowed.

Posted : 01/02/2010 1:05 pm
(@bedsnherts)
Famed Member

You don't need to have one. Your gun will be tested on the organizer's chrono to ensure it's not firing above 330fps

Posted : 01/02/2010 1:07 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Ah okay thanks.

Posted : 01/02/2010 1:09 pm
JD7
 JD7
(@jd7)
Illustrious Member

Drugs and Alcohol

Any player found in the possession (or using) non prescription drugs will be asked to give the organisers some… no actually they’ll be asked to leave and barred from any future PBI events – not only is it naughty and illegal....

Not quite true. You can quite legally buy, possess and use non prescription drugs, for example paracetamol, ibuprofen etc.

I think your meaning controlled substances as per the The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 and later amendments?

Posted : 01/02/2010 2:28 pm
 Yith
(@yith)
Illustrious Member

I'm sure he does Del... yes. :)

Well spotted... both me and Evo did proof read that before he posted!

Posted : 01/02/2010 2:28 pm
marsha
(@marsha)
Noble Member

any one up for a takeway saturday night?

Posted : 01/02/2010 2:30 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Take away sounds good! :D

Posted : 01/02/2010 2:38 pm
Wraith666
(@wraith666)
Honorable Member

Sorry for the stupid question but what does 'chronoed' mean? Cause I don't think I have it if its a piece of equipment having never done airsofting.

If you are using the Dboys K98 like you said in your hello note then I don't think that you will have a problem, you could throw the bb faster! I will have mine with me also for a laugh

"Will you stop talking about the war!!"
"What, you started it!"
"We did NOT start it!"
"Yes you did, you invaded Poland..."

Posted : 01/02/2010 6:31 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

If you are using the Dboys K98 like you said in your hello note then I don't think that you will have a problem, you could throw the bb faster! I will have mine with me also for a laugh

Ha ha ha yeah I've heard bad about it to be honest. Might upgrade to a Gas or try a conversion but I don't fancy my chances much on a conversion :P

I will also have my GBB Luger with me as a side arm...assuming my refills of gas arrive before the allotted time. :P Next Day Delivery my butt XD

Posted : 01/02/2010 7:47 pm
Poacher
(@poacher)
Noble Member

I have 60 of the pretend bullets for the D-boys I can bring along. I think I have the stripper clips for all though there might be one short.

aka Stigroadie

AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

Posted : 01/02/2010 9:04 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

I have 60 of the pretend bullets for the D-boys I can bring along. I think I have the stripper clips for all though there might be one short.

Oooh. If I could have some of those it would be great! Just enough to fill my pouches would be great if you wouldn't mind. :3

Posted : 01/02/2010 9:07 pm
slick63
(@slick63)
Noble Member

Good luck finding the shells after they`ve dropped on that tunnel floor 8)

Posted : 01/02/2010 10:03 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Good luck finding the shells after they`ve dropped on that tunnel floor 8)

Have a hard enough time finding them online! :P

Posted : 01/02/2010 10:24 pm
Wraith666
(@wraith666)
Honorable Member

Try www.xsiteairsoftshop.co.uk
I need to get some more myself but not this month as I have spent way too much already

"Will you stop talking about the war!!"
"What, you started it!"
"We did NOT start it!"
"Yes you did, you invaded Poland..."

Posted : 02/02/2010 8:55 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member

Try http://www.xsiteairsoftshop.co.uk
I need to get some more myself but not this month as I have spent way too much already

Out of stock :(

Posted : 02/02/2010 9:26 am
webby
(@webby)
Famed Member

Speak to Gunman, he usually has a few packs knocking about.

Posted : 02/02/2010 9:30 am
Page 1 / 5
Share: