(@chthree)
Noble Member

Empire of the Sun. Forget Spielberg.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 26/04/2013 10:02 pm
Raffles
(@raffles)
Noble Member

Pegasus Bridge: D-Day - the Daring British Airborne Raid by Stephen Ambrose.
Not bad but its not very well written, the subject matter is all that makes it readable.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2013 2:27 am
Bazooka Joe
(@bazooka-joe)
Estimable Member

Pegasus Bridge: D-Day - the Daring British Airborne Raid by Stephen Ambrose.
Not bad but its not very well written, the subject matter is all that makes it readable.

That was my opinion too. I was quite surprised at it, as I'd enjoyed reading Band of Brothers.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/06/2013 8:09 am
Gorgeo5
(@gorgeo5)
Estimable Member

Was given a big box of stuff from my Nan. Found this Gem owned by my dad in 1977....-- attachment is not available --

ReplyQuote
Posted : 02/08/2013 8:44 pm
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

Ha! Ha! I had that one too! I got Warlord comic from issue 2 right until the end, and probably had most of the annuals.

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 05/08/2013 3:49 pm
Tarnish
(@tarnish)
Estimable Member

Yep I had that 1977 Warlord too, bits in there about the Queen's Silver Jubilee I recall. I had three or four others from the early 80s too, all gone now sadly.

As far as books are concerned not a recent read but a good one is "Thunder Below" by Eugene Flucky the commander of the submarine USS Barb during 1944 to 45. A great read especially if you have an interest in the US sub campaign against Japan.

-Marc-

4th Wilts LHG

WW2 armoury: WA M1911A1 SCW, TM M1A1 TSMG, AGM STEN Mk2, AGM MP40, S&S M1 Garand.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 09/08/2013 1:06 pm
(@wladek)
Famed Member

Decided to read one of the Alan Furst Novels - the Spies of Warsaw TV program being pretty good - and am now on a third one.

Good books, well written - which is certainly rare when it comes to historical fiction, especially WWII historical fiction - They capture they capture the feeling, the 'essence', or pre-war/early war Europe rather brilliantly.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 05/10/2013 9:07 am
Steiner
(@steiner_1609088194)
Illustrious Member

The Origins of the Second World War in Europe, by P.M.H. Bell (3rd edition).

A superb book, which looks at all the various factors in detail, not just churning out the same one-line reasons that so many books do. Economies, ideologies, foreign policies, treaties, alliances, raw materials, armaments policies, etc.

Highly recommended, if you're into European history.

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : 08/08/2014 2:21 pm
Poacher
(@poacher)
Noble Member

The MKb42, MP43, MP44 and the Sturmgewehr44. G,de Vries & B.J.Martens, Propaganda Photo Series Vol.IV
A simple volume full of glorious shots of the apple of my eye.
German Automatic Rifles 1941-45, Chris McNab, Osprey weapons 24
A little bit of waffle to add depth to the previous volume.
I should invest in Sturmgerwehr by Hans-Diete Handrich but I cant find it for less than around £300.

aka Stigroadie

AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

ReplyQuote
Posted : 08/08/2014 4:02 pm
(@lord-elpus)
Noble Member

A good book on airmen escapee's titled "Boldness be my friend" a Sterling pilot's escapades, amazing book.

ReplyQuote
Posted : 23/09/2016 11:14 pm
Page 10 / 10
Share: