Any Japanese Unit
37%

Total votes: 140
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: So - Who WON'T You Portray?

Postby MartinR » Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:53 pm

As a sandal wearing muesli eating Guardian reader I can't quite bring myself to do SS, but Heer & Luftwaffe are OK. Sovs and Brits, hurrah! No interest in US, same as modern airsoft and wargaming. No doubt some vague resentment at living in Airstrip One.

Japanese, no I don't think so. My grandfather died in a Japanese POW camp and I wouldn't be able to look my Dad in the eye again.

I know they are are only games and we are just dressing up, but....

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:50 pm

there's nothing wrong with having strong feelings against doing a particular impression,war is bound to have a verry personal affect on people but neither is the person who does do that impresion a card carrying member of that political regime.our little hobby would come to an end if somebody didnt be the bad guy.neither should we as brits think of ourselves as white as snow,we didnt have a massive empire by poilitley asking other countries if they would like to become subjects of the british empire.if you look far enough into the past nearly all countries have a few nasty war atrosities in their closet,i think the reason that the german ethnick clensing of the jews and the japanese death labour camps are so poinient is that we were at the birth of the global film news age where we now get to see at home what only soldiers saw before.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
che
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby che » Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:38 am

Only german for me because I like my floppy hat .there you go that's my stong views on the subject :rofl:
theres nowt so Permanent as temporary

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
slick63
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby slick63 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:51 am

I definately wouldn`t portray a jap, and I have misgivings about portraying a russian. I picked my old impression as an FJ because they had a fairly honourable wartime history. If I did another impression I`d do Heer or Brit line infantry but only when some manufacturer comes out with a half decent springer bolt action rifle, and when I`ve got enough money coming in to actually have a chance of making it to a game.. :roll:
Komrade
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Komrade » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:28 pm

I won't portay SS as there's already enough people who do, and also it looks a bit l33ty to me. I play ww2 a bit to get away from the elitism in modern airsoft, so SS doesn't intrest me in that way. (not that I dislkie SS players) I would't really do jap as has already been said, no sites to do it, and the way they fought is just completly alien to me. I'm disintersted in American kit also (not that I'll never to an american loadout), so I think I'll stick with Russian, British and possibly German heer/ luftwaffe/ FJ
ImageImageImageImageImage
Will make you a free signature banner. Pm me!
greedo1980
Veteran
Veteran

Postby greedo1980 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 6:47 pm

Not interested in the pacific theatre personally.

I usually attempt a generic SS panzer grenadier, Heer infantry, British infantry and Us infantry. I try to be as generic as possible, especially with the SS stuff. As it's very easy to get carried away with the cam :lol:

Just waiting on a suitable northern game to pop the CIA cherry.
AGM MP40 - AGM STG44 - CYMA Thompson M1A1 - WE P08 4 inch - Marushin M1 Carbine GBB - AGM Sten MkII
HeadShot
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby HeadShot » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:18 pm

greedo1980 wrote:
Just waiting on a suitable northern game to pop the CIA cherry.

There are plenty of northerners who I'm sure would happily offer a lift to you.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hänschen klein

Postby Hänschen klein » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:02 pm

I am finding that the Americans are the real bad guys in WW2 airsofting that is a suprise for me. I thought there would be plenty of supporters??? There are at normal open days especially when there are a plentiful supply of WW2 guns for them Thompson Bolt actions M14`s and the fever over the last years of Band of Brothers etc.
ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage
Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image ImageImageImage
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
richardschulze1944
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby richardschulze1944 » Thu Aug 25, 2011 1:06 am

Interesting thread :wink:

Without wishing to sound too much like Eurovision, my vote went to.....the Japanese! Nothing whatsoever to do with the politics, everything to do with the fact that I'm 6 foot, white and European, and I simply couldn't pull off the look! :oops:

As many of you know, I only do German at the moment. I would certainly do, and am seriously considering getting kit for it, a British para impression, largely because my dad was one - post war - and I would certainly do Russian, in recognition of their titanic struggle against the Germans and the tremendous losses they experienced. As others have said, acquiring and then storing kit is problematic and necessarily limiting. I, too, find it easier to tweak things and add to what I have already to make different German impressions rather than trying to create totally new ones right now :(
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:21 am

Blobski wrote:Hey a very interesting topic and really about being able to detach from reality (past) and I'd have to admit to be unable to play a german for the very same reason a couple of the guys mention re the japs. My grandparents would turn in their graves if they saw me in a German uniform, but even though I see the soviets as the worst in a historic perspective I think I could play as a soviet. ..so, actually a bit strange...

I find it strange too, but I suspect this comes out of recent media portrayals of Americans and perhaps the perception of those choosing to do American impressions being more into the glory of portraying a person played on film, rather than choosing to portray a faction with historical accuracy in mind. (I say this as someone who owns only American paratrooper kit - which I bought over 6 years ago!)

This stance is of course, a deeply flawed one and in most cases very inaccurate; but like Bedsnherts said, this isn't the thread to criticise people's decisions, just one for expressing one's choice.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:34 am

Heh, to counter the US film impression tendency, you have the Doughboys who portray a US infantry unit that (to my knowledge) has no films about it at all. ;)

But, yes I think you're right HS.

BTW, having read a bit about the japs from their perspective, I actually don't demonize them quite as much as many people seem to. I do get the 6ft western european trying to be a short far eastern chap thing though... but then I do PAVN as well, lol. (oh, quick advert, anyone want a full PAVN loadout or know a good place I can sell one?)

So my "never portrays" went to German and SS... one of the reasons being that I would feel wrong in their uniforms. Plus, "Yith in German uniform!!", I'd never live it down. ;)
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:42 am

Yith wrote:"Yith in German uniform!!", I'd never live it down. ;)

You are right there, that wouldn't be right at all. :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BedsnHerts

Postby BedsnHerts » Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:54 am

Oh I don't know. That black wool Panzer clobber can be rather fetching. Remember the old adage: "Once you've done black, you never go back" :giggle:

Interesting that Yank is currently only marginally more acceptable than SS.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:18 am

BedsnHerts wrote:

Oh I don't know. That black wool Panzer clobber can be rather fetching. Remember the old adage: "Once you've done black, you never go back" :giggle:

And interestingly the only photo of me in existence wearing any german kit, I have Gadge's panzer wrap on... I was drinking... No idea where that pic went!
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Gadge

Postby Gadge » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:25 am

I think it's on my old PC, i can dig it out if you like?

:)
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."

Return to “General WW2 Airsoft Discussion”