Spoiled for choice

For general discussions.
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Spoiled for choice

Postby dadio » Thu May 09, 2013 2:52 pm

a few years ago i remember at the beginning of my ww2 airsoft days being frustrated that i could not get time off for the 2-3 ww2 events per year that were arranged , now it seems that there is a game on most months in the good weather season and a fair few to keep us warmed up in the winter and we literally are spoiled for choice. i know for myself that i have a fairly tight budget to spread between games and kit and for that reason only tend to book up for two games in advance at most even if i'm planning on a third or more later in the year.what i was wondering was is this the case for anybody else or do you find the money for games 4-5 months in advance if it's one you fancy ?
i only bring this up because there have been a few games cancelled this year due to lack of interest and a couple of them i was planning to book nearer the time, this is by no mean's a criticism of the organizers as they have to be sure it's economically feasible and are not clairvoyant .
i also know that a thread for interest without payment can lead to people not paying and booking and all the problems that causes.
so what am i asking? is there a scope for a partial deposit in advance ? or a notice that a game needs X many players booked by a certain date to make it feasible ? or do i just have to find the money sooner ?
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
paperpirate
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Spoiled for choice

Postby paperpirate » Thu May 09, 2013 3:14 pm

i left airsoft for about 9 months all together, local skirmishes and ww2 (admitedly ive only done two events so far) but i left because of money and a sudden lack of traveling ability. getting back on the band waggon and hoping to find another game this year and keep up to one or two a year, but thats about all i can afford being a "poor student" and all that
ImageImage
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Thu May 09, 2013 3:15 pm

I do think there are, to put it simply, too many games. A very small 'community' spread throughout all the "choices" means more games become just not viable.

You also get cycles - so you have a year full of, say, Russian games - where the few Russian players are forced to choose between them, and then a year where there are no Russian games, leaving Russian players dejected and at a loose end.

I could pontificate on the subject indefinitely, but to be honest I just don't feel the motivation to.

marsha
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby marsha » Thu May 09, 2013 3:23 pm

Well this is the only second time I had to cancel going to games
Due to money issues now and I have decided to cut out the amount of games going now

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Nurglitch
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Nurglitch » Thu May 09, 2013 3:36 pm

I'd gladly do one game every two months or something like that, but I have some practical constraints. It will take me some time to add enough gear to be able to cover multiple British impressions. I don't really have much interest in the Americans, I could never put on a German or a Soviet uniform and this serves as a natural limiter.

Maybe it would be easier for some people to attend if more games concentrated on resistance/guerilla warfare? Putting together a resistance "uniform" from captured scraps should be fairly easy.
Kitwhore files: S&S Lee Enfield No. 4, AGM Sten Mk. II, Tanaka Kar 98k, WE Luger P08
Wishlist: AGM Stg44, possible LE No. 4 gas project

Cadaceus
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cadaceus » Thu May 09, 2013 3:52 pm

I would love to come to a WW2 game but as most(if not all) local games would mean leaving my 15 year old son at home due to age limits we just go to open days

Cad
Impressions:
U.S. 35th Inf Tech Sargeant
British Royal Artillery Gunner
Generic SS Mann
Weapons:
Cyma M1A1
ASG Sten MK2
ASG MP40
TM M1911A1
WE Browning High Power
HFC Mauser C96
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Thu May 09, 2013 3:55 pm

Always been a three game a year for me on average for money/family reasons and only do another if a) its close enough to be viable to travel rather than cost of staying over and or a single day game and b) if i have done all the household chores and be really nice to the wife to give me some more pocket money :giggle:
ImageImageImage
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Thu May 09, 2013 4:01 pm

Money is clearly a major issue for many of us at the moment. Im certainly having to cut down on the number of events I attend and like yourself I am less likely to pay too far in advance. Im sure this is a factor in many game organisers cancelling it must sometimes seem that there is no interest when in reality too many of us just dont have the spare cash to book up months in advance when your wondering how to pay the bills at the end of the month. Its a tricky one....roll on those green shoots of recovery
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Thu May 09, 2013 4:11 pm

On a side note too this is probably a good guideline for me. As some of you maybe aware I am in plans for organising my first event so some of the points this discussion will bring up will help calm my nerves of no one booking on as soon as I have announced the game :giggle:
Have don the registering interset thread though just to get an idea that its something people are interested in and have in the back of my head the timeline where things need to be looked at regarding numbers, but like i said no i know that people have to wait till they have the available funds then it makes it a bit better.
ImageImageImage
Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Thu May 09, 2013 4:25 pm

Hmm, ah well there you go; not enough games for my liking. I don't like regular airsoft and although I've never attended one I don't think open days would really be my thing. So I am reliant on WW2 airsoft to get my fix and use my kit.

Realistically money is not the problem, I have spent too much on this hobby already and am contemplating the Garand and/or some short mags for the Thompson. The cost of those makes the actual cost of an event even with travel pale into insignificance and the more so when I can at least then mentally justify the kit I have already bought as it is at least being used.

My big problem is other commitments and sod's law as far as the weekends events are organised, particularly this year. I see Josh has just pulled the game on 6th July - Unfortunately I have something on that evening but was thinking as it was local I would pop along but that I may have to leave mid afternoon - because of that uncertainty I had not booked. Unfortunately the game in August falls the weekend I come back off holiday and even if I have made it back to the country it is too far away to be sure of making it and the one in September clashes with Goodwood Revival.

If I know I can make a game I will book on immediately, I'd rather register my interest as soon as possible to support the organisers but that probably leads to more disappointment in the end as I'm still upset at Chariot and Foxley having to be pulled (not blaming the organisers).

Cheers

Charlie
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
oddball

Postby oddball » Thu May 09, 2013 4:43 pm

In terms of running a game I prefer people to register interest and show support as soon as they can it helps get some idea if what we are doing is the right thing and what people want. In terms of the money I prefer to only ask for it about 1 month before the event, that way there is less problems with people having to sell their place if life gets in the way as it tends to.
Watch VidImage
Free speech is expensive these days!
dieselmonkey
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby dieselmonkey » Thu May 09, 2013 5:09 pm

Nurglitch wrote:Maybe it would be easier for some people to attend if more games concentrated on resistance/guerilla warfare? Putting together a resistance "uniform" from captured scraps should be fairly easy.

Certainly for myself, it's the 'uniformity' for want of a better word, that interests me in ww2. Seeing two sides in a cohesive uniform, in units, makes for the event. Having one side turn up in a mish-mash of random kit, even if it is 40's era, just makes me think 'open day' and would instantly put me off. Just a personal view, though.

For me, my lack of attendance at events is down to 2 things: Time, and health. I do Ww2, Cold War, 'Nam, Western and Post Apocalypse airsoft. That adds up to a lot of weekends, usually 1-2 a month in summer, add into that the odd re-en show, and wargames stuff, and I'm pretty much booked up just with the Gunman stuff I help out at.

My health also dictates that spending large sums on events where I'm not in a position to command, means that it'd effectively be a waste of money as I'd have to not engage in most of the running around and sit at the back/in the safezone for half of it.

As much as I'd love to go to everyone's games, it's just not feasible.
cjw957

Postby cjw957 » Thu May 09, 2013 5:14 pm

can be so many factors that can affect folks , for us mainly can we come 1 day , can we play usa though we may drift a little into russian , and i am happy to wait around for those games , we just dont have any interest in playing British.

we also mix it up by doing a few open days but in our ww2 kit, or trying to get a few local sites to run ww2 theme games every now and again so we get to play at the open days but we get to wear our kit to add to it , like few weeks ago 10 of us in Usa infantry placed at stormforce was a cracking day , yes its not going to be as good as say gothic was but we had fun working as a unit :)

we will always try our best to get to any games that have Usa we can do 1 day and not really over 2 hour drive.

but all games can't please everyone , kit , time , cash , larpy , non larpy take your pick
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Thu May 09, 2013 11:10 pm

I don't know from week to week if Ill be home. That makes booking games even trickier.
Originally I wast around for this weekend so I didn't book for Crete. Now I am.
A little more flexibility on booking practice would give me more chance to play.
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
dadio

Postby dadio » Fri May 10, 2013 1:07 am

it would seem we all have our own reason's for how and when we book onto a game :slap: i was just wondering if any of the games that were cancelled due to lack of interest would have filled up nearer the date but it seem's to be the nature of the beast rather than a question that can be answered .
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImage

Return to “General WW2 Airsoft Discussion”