Military watches magazine

For general discussions.
slick63
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Military watches magazine

Postby slick63 » Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:31 pm

I saw this on the television, first issue is £3.99 then £9.99 thereafter. The collection is supposed to span from the early 1900`s to the present day, although the only one of interest in the first five issues is no.2 which is a 1940`s Luftwaffe watch, the rest are post war. Might be worth keeping an eye open at the newsagents for later issues, in case one fits in with your impression.
http://www.military-watches-collection.com/
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Re: Military watches magazine

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:44 pm

My first reaction was "Huh? A magazine series about watches?" but had a look and switched to "Cool! A magazine series about watches!" Think might have a punt and see what they are like as I have a thing about watches (currently wearing my Grandfather's Longines Admiral but often sport a 1940's military Elgin) but doubt whether I'd get to 80 issues - that's one hell of a pile of cheap watches. Well, £800 worth of cheap watches :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wattsy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Wattsy » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:48 pm

Hmm a nam GI watch in that first issue. Might have to grab that one and just be selective for any other relevant ones that come up
Current ww2 armoury
King arms Thompson, ICS M1 Garand, ACM ZB28, ICS M3 Grease gun, ACM M1918 BAR, Kjw M1911, 2x WE Highpowers, Kwa Tokarev, Webley VI, PPS Bazooka, AGM STG44, Custom M1919 .30cal
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
cjw957
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby cjw957 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:53 am

they are not to bad for the cash, end of a day its a rrp £10 watch , but great for airsoft :)

can also get mail order for a £1 extra if lazy :) , shame it was not us infantry ww2 to start with :(
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
slick63
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby slick63 » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:40 pm

Picked one up at the newsagents and was pleasantly surprised. Watch looks quite good quality for the money, magazine is very informative as well. If it wasn`t so many issues then I`d consider collecting the lot, but 80 is just too much and I`ve got enough stuff hanging around already
They do list some of the other watches in the series which may be of period interest,
German army 1942
British army medic 1917 (a half hunter would be nice)
Canadian air force 1942
British paratrooper 1940
US navy 1942
Czech army 1937
German pilot 1938
clash
Veteran
Veteran

Postby clash » Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:08 pm

hmmm must keep an eye out for that British airborne watch.

Although I do still have a broken original British ATP watch i've been meaning to get fixed for the past 2 years. :roll:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:34 pm

To clarify: do the watches actually work, or not?

ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
dieselmonkey
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby dieselmonkey » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:58 pm

Steiner wrote:To clarify: do the watches actually work, or not?

Yes, they're just standard cheap quartz movements in pseudo-replica bodies.
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:55 pm

dieselmonkey wrote:
Steiner wrote:To clarify: do the watches actually work, or not?

Yes, they're just standard cheap quartz movements in pseudo-replica bodies.

Ahh... like Sekonda! :giggle:

(ex-jeweller joke)

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:10 pm

Well, three issues turned up in the post today (1970s US, WWII Luftwaffe Aviator, 1970s Brit Commando) - pretty pleased with the quality/cost ratio. Stainless steel cases and watch guaranteed for two years. And yes, they do work!
Attachments
WP_20140307_002.jpg
A retro lunchtime trip to the Post Office...
WP_20140307_002.jpg (132.28 KiB) Viewed 1190 times
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:28 pm

The issue 1 watch doesn't look too bad but I had a look at issue 2 in the news agents today. The Luftwaffe aviator watches were not working, the second hand was stationary. Ok I thought, maybe the battery is not installed or they have the little plastic tab in place to save the battery. Then as I moved them about the minute hand swung freely between a five minute sector. Now battery or no battery, a watch should not do that, ever! They were the same on all three copies they had! I decided to keep my £7. Also in the blurb on the back it went on about the rotating bezel which a. A Luftwaffe navigators watch did not have, and B. The bezel had no index point of marking whatsoever so would be completely useless!

I probably will buy the issue with the German DH watch replica as that doesn't look too bad. I wonder if the seconds at 6 O clock will actually be functioning on that?

Edit*** BTW, nice Figaro David. :good:
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Boshman wrote:Edit*** BTW, nice Figaro David. :good:

I have to say I was distracted by the Figaro too. Very nice.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Yeah, the hands free-wheel a bit in transit and the battery is disconnected - remove the transit tab and click the bezel in and all is ticketyboo.

I don't think any of the watches are 100% perfect replicas - the US watch I'm sure is bigger than the real thing (my Timex is quite a small face). But regard them as a bit of cheap fun and you will be happy. I wear my 1940's Elgin to airsoft games and I'm taking a bit of a risk. My repro Lufty watch I had to sell on as it was massive and heavy and I just couldn't wear it on my trim wrist. These toyss are rather more practical and are perfect for everyday use too.

(The Figaro is heaps of fun - I've never enjoyed a car so much since my Mini and 2CV in the 1970s!)
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:22 pm

Chomley-Warner wrote:Yeah, the hands free-wheel a bit in transit and the battery is disconnected - remove the transit tab and click the bezel in and all is ticketyboo.

I don't think any of the watches are 100% perfect replicas - the US watch I'm sure is bigger than the real thing (my Timex is quite a small face). But regard them as a bit of cheap fun and you will be happy. I wear my 1940's Elgin to airsoft games and I'm taking a bit of a risk. My repro Lufty watch I had to sell on as it was massive and heavy and I just couldn't wear it on my trim wrist. These toyss are rather more practical and are perfect for everyday use too.

(The Figaro is heaps of fun - I've never enjoyed a car so much since my Mini and 2CV in the 1970s!)

Ah cool! Transit tab eh? Never seen that on a watch before but that does assuage my scepticism greatly! Maybe I will grab one after all. I presume the strap is faux leather? I wouldn't expect it to be leather at that price but it's an easy thing to change.
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:34 pm

Real leather is says...
These watches must cost pence to make - amazing really!

I look at it this way: real fanatic gun collectors who know their stuff collect real guns and wouldn't be happy putting a airsoft gun on the wall. Christ - that auto selector is completely wrong and the stock is the wrong colour and 0.5mm too short.
Me? Meh, I wouldn't ever put a gun on the wall. But that aside, I'm happy enough that my toy looks to my uncritical eyes like a real gun and it does the job that is was designed for (except for bolties, grrrrr) and so my bit of amusement is complete.

Return to “General WW2 Airsoft Discussion”