Register for the WW2 airsoft experience

For general discussions.
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Re: Register for the WW2 airsoft experience

Postby bigkie » Fri May 23, 2014 5:08 pm

Chomley-Warner wrote:No, not being rained on. We know the red squirrel players, we have the organisers, and we have more than enough games for them (hell, CiA have a small game list stacked up if there was the interest) - what we need is converts. Not 'new blood', converts. This could be those play in WW2 gear but don't know there are organised games or a WW2 community, those that come from reenacting looking for something more, those that are jaded with grey squirrel games, or even converts from modern or other period 'milsim' genres. And it might help if the steady leaching of players was stemmed where possible. All of this requires enthusiasm and energy, so it is great you have stated the process Johnny. I reckon we need perhaps 40 additional players plus solid support from the existing...

That is exactly it CW! But that goes back to the thread as are we doing enough for this hobby and that goes for everyone, players and organizers. Its obvious that organising an event may not be enough are we as organizers doing enough to promote the event outside of this forum and base of registered players? When i put on my first game last year I knew that there was a possibility that as it was an eastern front event that I may not get the players especially on the Russian side so seen as it was possible that we had Josh's hire kit available I made it known to the site operators player base that an event was being planned and if they wanted to take part then we had the possibility to outfit them and get them involved and we had feedback and interested parties so is this an option that needs to be put into action especially with a big number player base site like Exsite for Messina.
(I am only using Exsite and Messina as an example here. Lipton has righting pointed out that this measure has already been put in place so thanks to him for that. :good: )
Also with the couple of airsoft fairs now springing up is this somewhere we need to be actively recruiting for players from other genres of airsoft that may now be at that point with being at the point of meh! with open skirmish style of game.
Also I see that people have made comment that 'Hut 9' and 'Messina' need player obviously but what about 'Hockwerk' that may be seen as more of a crossover between open battle games and the niche games as they are termed were is the support from the people who are preaching about people not booking on to niche games? Seems as there are pots making points about kettles. This also goes for players too are you putting the word about friends acquaintances to try and bring people in? everyone needs to do their part.
Last edited by bigkie on Fri May 23, 2014 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Allenby
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Allenby » Fri May 23, 2014 5:28 pm

Organising a 'stand' at an airsoft fair sounds eminently do-able. Happy to help with that.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Fri May 23, 2014 5:33 pm

I'd suggest trying to advertise at Ground Zero's Weekender given the number of people who attend and the fact they'll allow most anyone so set up a stand for free... if it wasn't for the fact anyone going to the weekender to 'advertise' will be paying over £100 to have dozens of high-caps emptied on them while other players completely ignore their hits and some utter bastard knowingly uses a mad hot gun to embed a BB in your face. Not as fun as they make it out to be. :|
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImage
slick63
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby slick63 » Fri May 23, 2014 5:45 pm

Allenby wrote:Organising a 'stand' at an airsoft fair sounds eminently do-able. Happy to help with that.

I did a general airsoft stand at a plastic model show a couple of years ago and got a lot of interest from people who didn`t know that the pastime existed. We let them handle the kit and guns, and had information sheets listing the different types of airsoft, local sites, costs etc. and a few videos on a laptop.
Oddly enough the only negative feedback came from the costumed WW2 reenactors who were hanging around at the show. One loon dressed as a chubby German para told me that "Re-enacting was serious soldiering while airsofters were playing a game". Quite how he thought he was a soldier I don`t know, what a cock.
As an aside, I did think I`d stumbled on an old thread here, as a few games of this nature have been played out already.
HeadShot
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Register for the WW2 airsoft experience

Postby HeadShot » Fri May 23, 2014 6:22 pm

slick63 wrote:One loon dressed as a chubby German para told me that "Re-enacting was serious soldiering while airsofters were playing a game". .

Why do they always go for parachute regiments?!

Hope that cheers Johnny up! ;)

Josh has done War & Peace a number of times. Not sure if that translated to more players.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri May 23, 2014 6:32 pm

pvtjohnny wrote:I'm sorry to say but from being so positive about the responses this morning, I feel down cast and depressed now. Sensitive I may be and most likely, I've got the wrong end or at least the middle of the stick but.... this thread seems to have been hijacked by nay sayers so quick to condemn and point out flaws. Most players have looked to get on board and see where it gets us. If it dies on its arse, so be it. But it'd die trying! So we get back to Tit for tat, finger pointing. The games that have been cancelled or are looking precarious are for a reason. I don't know what they are but there you go. My idea was to give all interested people the chance to prepare, save book holidays etc, have them take some ownership of their hobby and drive the thing forward. I'm sorry to say that people have used this as an opportunity to push their own agendas. I'm sure the red squirrel games that are organised are very good but the fact remains they're struggling. I was attempting to work from a clean slate. For me the water is being muddied and there's no need to piss on people's chips. Surely we all want this genre to succeed so why start pulling the wheels off? I'm really quite annoyed and wonder if people are having a "its my ball" complex. I'm left wondering why bother!? :x

We all have the same agenda Johnny and there has been no finger pointing or nay saying - you are indeed a sensitive soul! :wink:

Come up with a date and scenario for 2015 and it is all yours, you are most welcome as is everybody else, as long as it is done in consultation and cooperation with other organisers.

Perhaps your goal is unclear? All users of this forum have seen all the games that are being held (they have to scroll past them to see other bits of the forum - so no excuse). What is your game proposition that would entice players to your new initiative game? What would you be offering that other games don't? You must offer something new/different...
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
slick63
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby slick63 » Fri May 23, 2014 6:44 pm

I`m not sure if Johnny was planning a game, more a register of players who would like a more immersive experience....or did I misread something ?
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri May 23, 2014 6:47 pm

pvtjohnny wrote:We will leave it a few days, see how we go then begin the process of establishing some parameters for the ideal game. But guys, let's think clearly and recognise we will ALL have to be open to compromises for the greater good.
My hope would be to do the following;
1) Establish a list of committed players looking for an experience beyond the skirmish type games who will attend
2) develop a short list of game scenarios. No more than two or three to start. Perhaps conduct a vote for the favourite
3) pull together a team to organise and put the game on
4) book a date the majority will be able to attend
Please, please think positively and put yourself out to make this happen. I'll do as much as I can but it will be for nought without the community supporting this. Thanks guys!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri May 23, 2014 6:50 pm

How about you start a group - call it what you will. Johnny will be the leader/admin to start with, solicit names to be added to the group, the group having it's own forum section. Then organise a committee to take things further if there is the demand?
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Fri May 23, 2014 7:24 pm

HeadShot wrote:Why do they always go for parachute regiments?!

Image.

They are reenacting Hermann Göring's top secret "Rapid descent" formations. Specially selected men from the fallschirmjäger were bulked up to an increased weight to speed their earthward descent during drops. To achieve this they were given a carefully calculated diet of red meat and Weissbier, it it's rumoured that in a selfless act to show solidarity with his troops Herr Göring himself adopted this diet.
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImage
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Fri May 23, 2014 7:25 pm

BootedFeet wrote:
HeadShot wrote:Why do they always go for parachute regiments?!

Image.

They are reenacting Hermann Göring's top secret "Rapid descent" formations. Specially selected men from the fallschirmjäger were bulked up to an increased weight to speed their earthward descent during drops. To achieve this they were given a carefully calculated diet of red meat and Weissbier, it it's rumoured that in a selfless act to show solidarity with his troops Herr Göring himself adopted this diet.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: love it
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Fri May 23, 2014 7:26 pm

slick63 wrote:I`m not sure if Johnny was planning a game, more a register of players who would like a more immersive experience....or did I misread something ?

My understanding is that the aim is to try and approach the organisation of at least one game a year from the opposite direction i.e. agree a format, date and location that is amenable to most in an aim to try and craft an event and guarantee attendance thus avoiding all the wasted hard work and disillusionment on all sides that seems to result from games having to be cancelled.

It does seem to me that there are players out there but there is a lack of focus and I agree with Headshot and CW that surely the best way to achieve cohesiveness is to attempt to get as many people who are interested in WW2 airsoft to channel through the excellent resource we already have here.

While I do understand the reasons behind organisers waiting to announce events I also feel that some of the notice given can be incredibly short and the details vague. And there seems to be a tendency to try and cram events into the summer which is when people are more likely to have other calls on their time (kids, holidays, re-enactment (cricket in my case)). This is particularly highlighted by Hockwerk and Hut 9 being on consecutive weekends right in the middle of the summer holidays. And the fact that Messina had to be moved because Normandy suddenly appeared shows how important it is that people do talk to one another and that advanced notice is given. As an aside is it possible to put all new posts in the events section under moderation until they've been cleared for clashes so that organisers working within this forum aren't disadvantaged by playing by the rules?

The more events the better in my book, but personally I'd like as much warning as possible.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri May 23, 2014 7:46 pm

Chaps can't rock up and post in the Events forum willy-nilly, I have to set it up for them, and the aim is for one game a month. It is incredibly difficult to get perfect spacing, there are a very large body of organisers who all have to coordinate time off, site availability, holidays, other external events etc, never mind the players, so will never be perfect! They can however post in 'Other WW2 events' if they aren't bothered about clashing with others :roll: however, I think that has to stop and I'll be opening discussions with others about how organisers sort themselves out, 'cos it gets on my tits being piggy in the middle. I'm afraid you can't win but just have to do what you can!

Late announcements? I think there has only been one vaguely short notice game this year, three others at the end of the year lined up - October, November and December.
Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Fri May 23, 2014 8:13 pm

Chomley-Warner wrote:They can however post in 'Other WW2 events' if they aren't bothered about clashing with others :roll: however, I think that has to stop and I'll be opening discussions with others about how organisers sort themselves out, 'cos it gets on my tits being piggy in the middle. I'm afraid you can't win but just have to do what you can!

That's my point, more events is great but not at the expense of those engaging in the process.

Chomley-Warner wrote:Late announcements? I think there has only been one vaguely short notice game this year, three others at the end of the year lined up - October, November and December.

I guess that depends on your definition of late (the irony of my saying this is not lost on me!). I can't make Messina because of plans arranged last year and I am probably re-arranging long established holiday plans to be able to make Hut 9.
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri May 23, 2014 8:40 pm

Well, I'm not sure any organisers would be announcing an event a year hence for you but you never know! But the point of timely game announcement is well made. Conversely, players are leaving it until the very last minute to book - whether this is a function of many people's chaotic lifestyle I'm not sure. I know, given the choice, I'd rather book later than earlier because I don't have a mapped out holiday schedule. Not very considerate I know...

Anyway Johnny - would you like a private discussion forum for red squirrel discussions to take things forward, threads won't get trashed :oops: and you can have whatever discussions you wish? (By private I mean restricted posting access but unrestricted viewing access.)

Return to “General WW2 Airsoft Discussion”