Forum tech information

For general discussions.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Forum tech information

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:24 am

Forum was off for a while this morning - in fact the whole server.
No damage but was caused by a failed overnight backup that deposited a huge tmp file thus managing to fill the disk space to 100% so everything ground to a halt.
All sorted now - many apologies.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Re: Server downtime

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Feb 12, 2009 3:04 pm

I'm just closing the forum down for half an hour chaps while I sort sommat out....
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Re: Forum tech information

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:58 am

Forum search feature now back up and running, apologies for the downtime the past couple of days.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:39 pm

Server is undergoing a security upgrade sometime between Tues 10th March 10pm and Wed 11th March 8am. May be losses of connectivity between those times, sorry!
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Before anyone asks 'where has my signature gone' I've just changed some code for forum viewing to limit the display of signatures to the poster's first view on the page only.

While forum users have been very good at using standard and uniform sized banners, some users are piling up high. While it looks very nice it does mean post text relative to graphics is somewhat unbalanced and makes text a tad difficult to follow down the page.

This modification should give the best of both worlds (but don't overdo the sigs, eh? :good: )
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:23 pm

Apologies for the downtime over lunch today - some sort of connectivity issue. Frankly, I think THEY are on to us, clearly 'Off Topic' is getting a bit too edgy...
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Apr 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Sorry, connection problems between here and Germany data centre again causing outage for 45 mins or so today.
I suspect either some techie is being overly 'green' by turning everything of while he pops off to lunch or someone is making their job indispensable. :o

Edit: "Our engineers have located the problem and it has been pinpointed to a UPS issue"
Ah the irony - an Uninteruptable Power Supply interupted the service. :roll: :evil:
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri May 15, 2009 9:43 am

Apologies to those who were greeted by blank pages this morning. I had a massive attack on the server during the night that filled with server with GBs of log files and as a consequence things started falling over then finally not functioning.

After clearing all the crap out everything was functioning apart form this forum. I had a horrible feeling the db was corrupted but after clearing out tonnes of redundant/lost temp files from the phpBB cache all now seems to be well. Fingers crossed.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri May 29, 2009 9:07 am

Apologies, yet another DoS attack overnight brought the server to its knees - hopefully all back up and running now...
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Sorry for the server (not forum) crash - unfortunately I was away at Beltring for three days having a great time and in no position to poke under the bonnet, tut a bit, then firmly slap the top of the box (which usually does the trick).

Anyhoo, a quick bath then three quarters of an hour later everything seems fine so I'm switching the forum back on as of midnight, Sunday 27th.

I'll have to face my various client's wrath on Monday - meanwhile I hope the forum users made good use of the downtime and did something useful...
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:55 pm

Sharp-eyed forum users may have noticed a change across the forum the past few days. OK, you didn't.

We now have a much larger team of moderators who have all responded to a call for volunteers and now share responsibility for moderating the forum with the CiA team.
Each person has their own section to look after so as not to over-burden any one person. The 13 moderators are all active players as well as forum users.

This forum has always had a policy of a 'light touch' and nothing will change, indeed I don't expect that forum users will notice any increase in moderator intervention. What they may notice is that things might be a bit neater and questions get answered a bit quicker. Incidentally, no change with group sections, airsoft site sections or retailers sections - these all remain moderated by the section 'owners' themselves.

The benefit to Comrades in Arms is that there are more eyes watching every corner of the forum and that more people are actively involved, which has to be a good thing.

So, thank you for volunteering your services gents, much appreciated. :good:

P.S. Moderator's forum names appear in blue and the full list of mods can be seen here: memberlist.php?mode=group&g=3
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:07 pm

When I was away on holiday for a few days I resolved not to pop into internet cafes (or plug the laptop the laptop into the non-broadband phone line and try and get the modem working) just to check 'how the forum was doing'.

I was using my Blackberry-type mobile for checking work emails of course and there came a point where I thought "I wonder what the CiA forum is like on a mobile" on the pretext of a technical idle thought (but really I was unable to stop myself 'popping in').

Anyhoo, the upshot was it was very frustrating - slow to load and rubbish layout on screen, so I resolved to look into seeing if things could be improved. Well, the answer - rather surprisingly - is that there is no official phpBB3 method of doing it. But there were two ways it could be done (in a way I was technically comfortable with).

The first I have now made the first steps to get running. You will see in your User Control Panel an optional board style under Board preferences called STG-Mobile. This is especially configured for use on small screen and is graphically light for speedy page loading. It is easiest to switch forum style before you go anywhere otherwise you will have a couple of ordinary slow screens to navigate to get to the UCP setting screen.

The next stage of implementation will be to get the system to auto-detect the platform you are viewing the forum from and so will automatically switch forum styles, which will save faffing.

So, if you are as sad as me and can't do without the forum when are away from a PC then why not give it a whirl?

P.S. I have also been playing with a nifty commercial solution which seems to work well called Tapatalk. http://www.tapatalk.com Unfortunately it only works for the iPhone although they are working on moving it to other platforms in the future. The downside is that you have to pay 3 dollars for the 'app' although that ain't much at all.
Please DON'T pay for the App as I have the system turned off at the moment since I don't have an iPhone to thoroughly evaluate the implementation and I thought a solution for all mobile users might be more useful to start with.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sat Nov 07, 2009 8:51 am

Advance notice of forum outage.

This server will be migrated to a new data centre on Monday 16th November 2009. The server will be shut down some time after 6pm and be up and running by 6am the following morning - the actual outage time should be fairly limited though.

Although the IP address will be changing you won't need need to change bookmarks or make any other changes.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:00 pm

As above, server will be down 1800 hrs today and up by 0600 Tuesday, all being well.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Nov 18, 2009 9:30 am

Well, it was all going so well! The server move to a new data centre appeared to have gone smoothly but somehow connectivity got lost around 1530hrs Tuesday. Rolled back to the backup before the move and so lets try again.

Sorry for the down time. The server move was from Germany back to the UK so its nice to see we haven't lost the tradition of things half-working and technicians on extended lunch and coffee breaks and so unable to lift a finger to help! :roll:

Return to “General WW2 Airsoft Discussion”