Forum tech information

For general discussions.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Re: Forum tech information

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:47 pm

Happy to report BT have untied the knots and everything seems to be lickety-spit on the BT networks now.

LATEST
I have just reconfigured the WW2airsoft.org.uk server which entails new DNS propagation. So, for the next 24hours or so it is possible that users may get 'server not found' messages, especially those abroad. This is just a temporary phase and will pass once domain name servers across the world are updated.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Sep 26, 2011 6:47 pm

Advance notice
Somewhere between 0200hr and 0500hr, Monday 3rd October 2011, the forum server will be off-line for up to two hours for scheduled essential maintenance.

This should only affect post-midnight lurkers and more distant forum users - apologies for the disruption.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:31 pm

SEARCH updated

In the past searches have been limited to words of four letters or more in order to speed searches and limit the server load (the number of one, two or three lettered words on this forum is massive). So a search for 'AGM' or 'K98' or 'hop' would rather unhelpfully give a "No suitable matches were found." error message.

Anyhoo, given the server even at peak load isn't remotely stressed I've made a tweak and now you should find three letter word searches will be productive.

Please bear in mind, as with all searches, that the better qualified your query, the better the search result. So please make use of the qualifying options - restricting a search to a particular forum section or author; place + in front of a word which must be found; place a - in front of a word which must not be found; use * as a wildcard for partial matches.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:05 pm

Advance notice of forum downtime and tinkering

Time for a forum software upgrade. This is a major one so I'll be taking the route of a fresh install. This means, for a while, you will be presented with a 'plain vanilla' version of the forum - then bit by bit I'll add in the mods and the custom forum skin.

Wherever possible I'll make changes live but there will be times when I'll have to take the forum off-line. During this process you find that some things aren't working as they once did so please don't pester! Once everything is in place I'll let you know here, then we can iron out issues at that point.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:19 am

Forum update
The forum software now updated, mods reinstalled and functionally all seems OK, so that's a ball-ache out of the way.

The sharp-eyed might notice that the old Arcade stuff has now gone - the developer hasn't updated the software for a couple of years and as no one uses it now it has been dumped.

However, I have added new functionality with image handling. Now, whether photos are linked to or attached they will be re-sized to 600px wide but can be zoomed into, should the viewer so choose. The old 'thumbnail' sizing of attachments has been superseded by this new mod and it should prevent the accidental linking to huge images that stretch the forum off the desktop.

And a reminder about the 'collapse forum' tool. The double chevron button on the right-hand side of each forum section header collapses or expands each section. So if you have no interest in Past Games or Soviet Forces (say) then you can tuck them out of the way to keep your viewing area minimal. Your selection is held in your member record and doesn't use a cookie, so the selection will remain whatever computer you use to access the forum.

Should there be any weirdness following the upgrades drop me a PM please, I've not spotted anything yet. But do me a favour and hit F5 before you do PM please to ensure you are looking at an up to date page. :good:

DSCF0550.jpg
DSCF0550.jpg (316.47 KiB) Viewed 1661 times
HeadShot
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby HeadShot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:09 pm

Did someone just change the forum list font?!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:51 pm

Well that was an exciting few minutes - sorry for those using Firefox and IE (Chrome users were OK), back to normal now. Just a missing " in a style sheet.

As an aside I've been having a deluge of spammers attempting forum access this past few days, I've changed techniques to foil them three times now, hope the forth one calms the storm!
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:14 pm

HeadShot wrote:Did someone just change the forum list font?!

I noticed that, too! Where was the prior announcement for that ?! :giggle:

ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:15 pm

I use Safari. Quite liked that font TBH.
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:04 am

Sir! Sir!! The font's changed again sir!
Attachments
Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 10.04.13.png
Screen Shot 2012-08-22 at 10.04.13.png (32.23 KiB) Viewed 1568 times
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:10 am

The forum's having a mid-life crisis... Next it'll be buying a motorcycle and dying it's hair.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:36 am

LOL. Contemplating a Figaro purchase but not a lot of hair to dye. :wink:
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:38 am

Apologies, server massively overloaded this morning and I'm having to restart the things frequently. May have to take WW2 website down for a while to isolate the problem - so expect some more outages today.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:35 am

ADVANCE NOTICE

Some time in the next two weeks I will be moving the WW2 Airsoft forum and website to a spiffy new server. You should see snappier page loading and less drop outs due to server overloading. The WW2 Airsoft site is one of the last of my web domains to be moved as I have waited for a 'quiet' time but I can't put it off any longer.

So, you may notice the forum is locked and has a maintenance notice - in which case the domain is in transfer. It can take up to 48 hours for the Domain Name Server information to propagate across the world so once I turn the old server off you may find you have error messages - in which case simply try again later.

Sorry for the inconvenience, fingers crossed for a smooth transition!
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

WW2 Airsoft server move

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:13 pm

NOTICE

Shortly I will be moving the WW2 Airsoft forum and website to a spiffy new server. You should see snappier page loading and less drop outs due to server overloading. The WW2 Airsoft site is one of the last of my web domains to be moved as I have waited for a 'quiet' time but I can't put it off any longer.

So, you may notice the forum is locked and has a maintenance notice - in which case the domain is in transfer. It can take up to 48 hours for the Domain Name Server information to propagate across the world so once I turn the old server off you may find you have error messages - in which case simply try again later.

Sorry for the inconvenience, fingers crossed for a smooth transition!

Tip: Create a shortcut/favourite/bookmark to this URL now - it should get you to the new website without waiting hours/days for the DNS to propagate: http://ww2airsoft.org.uk.109-104-92-181.infinitywebhosting.co.uk/

Return to “General WW2 Airsoft Discussion”