Forum tech information

For general discussions.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Re: WW2 Airsoft server move

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sun Dec 23, 2012 8:46 am

And if you are reading this you have arrived at the the new server. A couple of tweaks to do but all seems pretty much OK.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Re: Forum tech information

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed May 15, 2013 8:53 pm

Connectivity issue at data centre caused an outage of an hour or two tonight. Rest assured the server is tickety-boo and has been up during this period, patiently waiting for lines to be reconnected.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:02 am

Apologies for frequent outages this past week. I'm struggling with peak loads on this server that gets so great it falls over. I'm bringing it under control bit by bit so please bear with me. A drop out yesterday left the forum with out of date cached files, hence missing buttons and what-not. Sorted now I hope.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:50 am

Sorry, had to take the WW2 Airsoft offline last night due to server issues. Gradually brought all client websites up this morning, this website last due to the site and traffic levels (and, not least, business clients come first, hobbies last!).
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:14 pm

OK, heads up - this forum will be moving to a new server shortly & hoping to sort delayed page loading in the process.
If you drop by and see the maintenance page then things are under way. Once the move is complete I'll open the forum to posting.

The time between the forum move and you being able to see the site depends on your ISP and how quickly DNS changes are propagated. In all likely hood non-UK users will be the last to get to the new server.

You browser may well retain the old IP address for a while, might be solved by a hit on F5. But, if you know how to do things, then a flushdns command on a Windows or Apple computer will speed up viewing the old server (maintenance page visible) and new server (open forum with global notice across sections).
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Re: Forum server move

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sun Mar 29, 2015 11:37 am

If you can read this then you have arrived at the new server. Sorry for the delay, took longer to set the glue record than it should have.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Forum update ... now under way

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:24 pm

Just to let you know in the days to come I'll be updating the forum platform - required to both maintain security and ensure future viability.

This is a major update and there is the distinct possibility it won't go smoothly, so bear with me please.

The first thing you will notice is that I'll disable the forum and you will see a maintenance notice. Please don't keep bobbing back every five minutes to if things are 'up'. They won't be. Give it a good four hours, there is plenty to do. Paint the spare room. Jet wash the patio. Talk to your partner. Mow the elderly neighbour's lawn.

When the forum comes online you will see it looks very different - it will have a plain vanilla out-of-box skin and look very boring. Bear with it, I'll be testing functionality and trouble shooting anomalies. Once it all works OK I'll start changing both the design and layout, and this will be an ongoing process.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Re: Forum update soon...

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:10 pm

Transfer and update to the new forum software is complete, testing is under way to check for correct functioning.

The next step will then be to customise the forum back to something a bit more individual than this basic blueness...
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:32 am

The WW2 Airsoft website and forum were migrated to a new server late Christmas Day / early Boxing Day. All seemed to go well and I haven't found any problems yet, and the forum has a nice increase in loading speed.

Let me know by PM if you find any unusual behaviour please.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Domain updated to secure serving last week, for no other reason than Google says it is a good idea :roll: . Anyway, has gone OK so far, just need a way to force the many thousands of images on the forum to be forced to be served by SSL - sadly there are ten years worth of links to external web pictures that can never be corrected and thusly viewers will have to put up with an exclamation mark next to the padlock on some forum pages.

Next project is over this weekend when the forum software will be updated. This is a major update so expect to have no access to the forum at times and broken things when you do. Bear with.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:41 pm

Sigh. Attempt at forum upgrade was aborted - far too many errors arising for a smooth transition. I'll leave it a while until further updates are issued.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon May 07, 2018 11:51 am

This server was migrated to a new server on Sunday 6th May 2018.

The old AND new servers are currently running while the DNS change is updated across the world. This may mean a post or two are lost once the old server is switched off, but it is unlikely given most users are in the UK and it is a very quiet weekend.

Although the IP address will be changing you won't need to change bookmarks or make any other changes.

Return to “General WW2 Airsoft Discussion”