Ration labels

For general discussions.
stof
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Re: Ration labels

Postby stof » Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Can't say I was very impressed with the pickled cabbage my mates in Northern Germany served me ,apparently its a speciality there.Got my own back with a bag of chilli almonds,is it just in the north or do Germans everywhere have a problem with hot - as in chilli hot - food ?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
PD
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby PD » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:44 pm

We seem to have digressed delightfully into gastronomy!!!!! YAY! :ghey:

I have to defend German cuisine at this point.

I dunno where you boys were eating but I can assure you it's not all rich adn greasy - It's very heavily meat and potato based (Hello? England? Meat and two veg?) but it's not all that bland. My missus cooks from traditional recipies and cookbooks bought in Germany - We have had wonderful vegetables including sauce made from pureed veg...... Meat is Roast (Braten) after being marinaded for days which makes it extra tasty and it drops apart with the slightest ppush from a fork. Desserts include Bavarian Cream (Bayernsahn) which is a cross between yoghurt, cheescake and icecream and it's heavenly with plum compote....

Sausages - OK - a good variety and stereotypical German nosh - but how well do they d them (can't beat good old bangers made fresh at our local farm shop butchers though) The Gremans do game exquisitely with venison and boar being the favourites and in the Spargel (asparagus season) usually a full menu involving the finest white asparagus in the world is available (although Spargel does make your wee very green and stinky!) :rofl:

Bread - I have to give you the rye thing - I can't eat a lot - but they do wonderful corn bread and their white breads are great - full of texture and taste unlike the air filled supermarket pre made. half baked shoite they palm off on us over here. Mushrooms! The variety and diversity of use is just brilliant! Half of us in the UK have olny ever eaten two or maybe four varieties of mushroom at the most. In Germany I have had emals with six mushrooms (Pfilzen) on me plate at once.......

Don't get me started on their dumplings and noodles....... or the sauces that go with them...... I am salivating already!

No folks - Don't do the box tops down on their food...... It's not as delicate as France, It's not as showy as some - It's good trad food, well cooked and lots of it - I suffer from heartburn and indegestion a lot which I have narrowed down to additives in food. Preservatives and flavour enhancers. When I go to Der Vaterland, after my first full meal this subsides and I enjoy 10 or 14 days of unfettered digestion and I feel much better - When I come home I stick to as much fresh stuff (non supermarket) as possible and it's fine but it creeps back in slowly but surely.

The sheer quality of food in Europe in general seems far higher than ours here in UK - Hell - I even like those Dutch boys cooking with their pancakes and waffles!!!!!

Echte Deutsche Kuche for the win!
ImageImageImage Image
LOOK! I ham now four meggle man!
A001
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:04 pm

What the Germans can do to a pig [in a culinary sense] should be shouted from the roof tops.
They have a great range of foods that varies across what is a big country. I never struggle to find something tempting.
I never cease to be amazed by the praises heaped on Italian food. That does get boring like the food. Just changing the shape of the pasta does not change it's taste to any degree. It's still pasta. It all relies upon the chefs skill with the sauce.
Dont try and tell me all italian food is great, the worst food I've ever had on tour was in italy. Worse by a long chalk.
Back to labels;
The german issue tinned food did not often feature labels, the contents were usually stamped on the top.
When labels were used it was very rare to see eagles and swastikas on them. 'nur Fur wehrmact' over stamps on civilian stocks were seen early on or on captured stock. often the label only covered half the tin to save paper.
That trick was used by the Brits, often a ministry of Food logo was found on their labels.
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
BedsnHerts
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby BedsnHerts » Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:21 pm

As with everything in life you get what you pay for. Dining out in Germany can be very cheap, but if you're paying E6 for a main course then all you'll ever get is Hearty German Fare, meaning a bit of pig covered in breadcrumbs and pan-fried with a starchy side dish. Compare it to English fish 'n' chips, both are delicious once in a while but you would struggle to eat them every day. That's cos you're not supposed to.

If you like a laugh, try going to a Chinese restaurant in rural Germany, where the menu has been "Germanified". The menu is unrecognisable and none of the food is bright orange. It's just.....wrong.
PD
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby PD » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:25 am

I've done Mexican in Berlin, Thai in Munich, Greek in Aachen, Trattoria in Dublin, Sushi in Pragye,,,,, the list is (nearly) endless - As the Stigman says - Deutschland is a large country - The fare is so varied from one region to the other - to say a £6.00 main is a slab of pig fried in breaqdcrumbs accompanied by a starchy side is a disservice to a wonderful and tasty filling meal.

Why don't we organise a JBO and fit it in next year between airsofting and re-enacting?

We could Jump on a ferry, land in Clogland, drive across it and see Arnhem on the way - then I'd be double happy to guide you lads around the Heurtgenwald for a day or two - We could then motor to the Ardennes one day and up to OVerloon in Belgium then head back to Blighty having pigged out on history, beer and as much Euro cuisine as we could stand - Perhaps each man keeps a diary and marks the trips on Food, Beer, COmpany, Sights seen, Laughs had that day.

Then we could do a photo thread and relive it all over again with much mirth and amusement (retrospective rose tints aptional)

Whaddya say? Any mileage in it?
ImageImageImage Image
A001
Casbah-Rock
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Casbah-Rock » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:14 am

Sounds good Herr PD :) (work permitting ;) )

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
slick63
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby slick63 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:27 pm

Nice idea PD, especially as my Mrs is maybe taking a trip to the French battlefields courtesy of a reasonably well known 'parcels to the troops' charity sometime next year. I`m not big on cuisine as I`m a veggie but German pastries are superb ! Would this be on a minibus, camping along the way ? 8)
JD7
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby JD7 » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:38 pm

the bus may have to be bigger, on the way back.
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:39 pm

I ain't gettin' on no ferry, sucker!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Sat Nov 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Steiner wrote:I ain't gettin' on no ferry, sucker!

:giggle: I like that, it's a very British Mr T.

PD
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby PD » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:48 pm

Not really thought much about it - A people carrier can be hired at reasonably cost - We used to get 7 in one plus luggage for re-enacting (admittedly a squeeze) so couple would suffice - Another alternative is to fly in and hire over there (cheaper even with the Euro as it is) and tootle about that way. To do the Hürtgen without a car is nigh on impossible and to do the others mentioned would be a day's travelling otherwise - I love driving in europe - the traffic moves so much better than here.

If folks seriously want to do this as a JBO then let's start a thread and get it organised....... I'm game. (Shut up Del - It's too obvious even for you!)
ImageImageImage Image
A001
Helga Geerhart

Postby Helga Geerhart » Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:28 am

Theres a thread with a variety of collection on WAF that has loads of original German packaging and wrappings if anyones wanting to research it more :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image

Return to “General WW2 Airsoft Discussion”