Allied kit

Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Allied kit

Postby Pete_59 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:06 pm

Chomley-Warner wrote:If anyone has a pair of wire cutters could they pipe up please?

I've got a pair in a webbing pouch, they're post war but look similar to late war ones, I can bring them along if you want.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:49 pm

Yes please Pete - it certainly doesn't matter what period they are as long as they look the part. Players with wire cutters have special duties to perform. :wink:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dieselmonkey
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby dieselmonkey » Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:17 pm

Yith wrote:So they do.. I'd not checked I'd just remembered they had 'em. fecking expensive as usual too.

There are some on ebay here, including one with a 1940 date and another without the date, but the same style, which looks like it will be quite cheap in comparison. Not much webbing though!

http://collectables.shop.ebay.co.uk/ite ... ec0Q2em282

I've got some folding brit ones, and the 37 patt. webbing holder for it, i can pass it on if you like?
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:08 am

That would be great Evo - no need for Horus to fork out dosh then!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
rushBAWSS

Postby rushBAWSS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:01 pm

Guys link below to the 'reenacting' website, it is a new groupd called the BEF society. Some cracking photos of kit. Worth a look for this game:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/v ... 39&start=0

One for Yith, do you have any links to photos of soldiers wearing SD in France? The only one I have seen is the one in the trucks. I know units wore it but there are precious few photos! If you have any do let me know as i'd like to see the set up. Also where did you get the tunic and trousers from? They look tops!

Tip for an early war look, get hold of a browny/orangey (not real words!) light weight army poncho. I believe they are 50's ones, same as the ones worn in Burma. Tie it up with white material then attached to the top of your small pack. Gives you a perfect looking gas cape AND a useable poncho if it rains! I have one on my kit and will happily stick a photo up if anyone wants.

Jason
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:18 pm

rushBAWSS wrote:Guys link below to the 'reenacting' website, it is a new groupd called the BEF society. Some cracking photos of kit. Worth a look for this game:

http://www.wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/v ... 39&start=0

Thanks... they look good!
One for Yith, do you have any links to photos of soldiers wearing SD in France? The only one I have seen is the one in the trucks. I know units wore it but there are precious few photos! If you have any do let me know as i'd like to see the set up.

I did find some in my investigations, but only up to about December 1939. I think they may have been in the IWM online collections.
Also where did you get the tunic and trousers from? They look tops!

The tunic is original 1943 dated economy version, with minor conversions to make it the earlier pattern. £45 from ebay.

The trousers are post war foreign ones and need some conversion as they need to taper a bit. They're BD trousers without the front pockets. £20 from a friend.
Tip for an early war look, get hold of a browny/orangey (not real words!) light weight army poncho. I believe they are 50's ones, same as the ones worn in Burma. Tie it up with white material then attached to the top of your small pack. Gives you a perfect looking gas cape AND a useable poncho if it rains! I have one on my kit and will happily stick a photo up if anyone wants.

Are you sure you don't mean the green ones, they're the 50s ones and I thought the gas capes were green? As far as I am aware the green ones weren't used in burma during the war, certainly not until very late war anyway.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

rushBAWSS

Postby rushBAWSS » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Just got my cape out to have a look.

Its a Capes Monsoon, dated 1969. The friend who gave it to me brought it as it was like the one he had in India, which was so very good. I've used it a few times, and it is brilliant!

Link to an early war gas cape on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/British-Army-Earl ... otohosting

That is the colour of the poncho I am talking about. Got the same feel and look to it as a rolled gas cape. Not entirely sure where'd you'd buy them from though.
scaleyback
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby scaleyback » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:21 pm

yep, seen those monsoon capes, jay jays had one in a while back, thought about getting it as the colour is right but the one they had was nylon.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:24 pm

ah right... I see. I have the 1943 equivalent of that... Not going to use that though!
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:39 pm

Quick word of warning to the kilt wearers at Ariel, showing off will be frowned upon. :shock:
image004.jpg
stof
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby stof » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:47 pm

In my case laughed at :rofl:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:59 pm

right next to HM queen too, i bet he has never had to buy a beer since........ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
JD7
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby JD7 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 6:35 pm

scaleyback wrote:right next to HM queen too, i bet he has never had to buy a beer since........ :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

LMAO I thought the same :rofl: :rofl:
scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Sat Jun 13, 2009 12:12 pm

scaleyback wrote:yep, seen those monsoon capes, jay jays had one in a while back, thought about getting it as the colour is right but the one they had was nylon.

been and had a look today, its the right colour but its nylon and dated 1965.
Helga Geerhart

Postby Helga Geerhart » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:47 pm

Dunno if I'd class that as "showing off" ......... sure the queen would agree (not in the way obviously you chaps are thinking :rofl: )
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image

Return to “Operation Ariel - 5th July 2009”