Gulch Battle Honour

30th & 31st May 2009
scaleyback
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Gulch Battle Honour

Postby scaleyback » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:48 pm

then why hold back? give yourself the CMH. it means nothing to me, but it would say a lot about the nature of the person wearing it. i would rather delete the ribbons on my avitar than upset someone who has actually done something to earn one. but thats just me.
webby

Postby webby » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:50 pm

I think this has been blown out of proportion somewhat.

People do wear them on their uniform at things like WAP etc, I dont think thats a particularly bad thing as it is a re-enactment, fact is we're portraying units which would have been awarded them. In my opinion, giving out battle honours for games we've played which may infringe on awards given to recent recipients as much as veterans, is sorta where I think the line should be drawn.

So:

Wearing a purple heart and a bronze star or jump wings on a 101st Jumpsuit, great because you're portraying the living this history of somebody back in the 40's,... awarding yourself a medal which is still in use/may still be used by ventrans, not so great, as the award has been given for not doing the same amount of whatever as they did back then.

Hope that makes sense?
101stairborne-506
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 101stairborne-506 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:53 pm

i aprieciate that , but to me jumpwings, bronze star and purple heart were medals anyway?

and scaleyback honestly, no need to get arsey about it. i was just trying to work it out.
Now a 'namsofter. I have an M72 L.A.W. for sale for 110 posted, PM if interested.
scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:56 pm

not getting arsy lad, want to know about my medals and why i dont wear them? i might tell you one day. you do what you want, its not my place to say what you can or cant do, all i am saying is medals are a very sensative subject with veterans, do we really need nasty posts and e-mails from the british legion?
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:57 pm

I didn't notice him getting arsey about it?

As far as I can see this has been a very sensible and polite conversation.

If it hadn't been I'd have had to moderate it, which I haven't!
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

101stairborne-506
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 101stairborne-506 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:59 pm

well, to me he has. see it how you want to see it, my great uncles a vet of the 7th armoured division and he would take no offence to it, his view is as good as any others so i have no problem.
Now a 'namsofter. I have an M72 L.A.W. for sale for 110 posted, PM if interested.
101stairborne-506
Veteran
Veteran

Postby 101stairborne-506 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:01 pm

also, to my recolection you werent even there, so if you have a problem with it whats the point getting involved?
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:04 pm

Because it sets a precedent and I know some who were there do care.

Anyway enough is enough. I think if need be the whole moderator team will back up the rule about there should be a restriction on which medal ribbons can be used in the sigs.

I haven't laid the law down, but will if pushed.

Just leave it be. End of discussion.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:06 pm

your the one getting all upset by the looks of things. wear what you like. not really that big an issue to me, just make a mental note that some people (me NOT amongst them ) dont like it. be prepared to defend your decition if an angry 80 year old vet demands an explanation. it could happen.
scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:09 pm

this isnt about gulch weekend as far as i am aware, i wasnt at inkerman in 1865 either but i think one of the ribbons us under my name :rofl: :rofl: . this is about not upsetting those with a right to wear there ribbons.
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:33 pm

Not generally, but for some putting together a 'drinking uniform' - or class A - it is rather fun to have the ribbon bars related to the game's you have played.

webby

Postby webby » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:27 am

I think it may only be me so far who has them on a dress uniform.

Just put them on last night

In the Pocket, Autumn Mist, Op. Lightning, Die Glocke

ribbons.jpg

(I'm waiting on my 'carbine' tab to arrive so that then it's complete)
Gadge
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Gadge » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:55 am

Yith wrote:And I know what a lot of people say about the people who do that as well. I'd rather not be on the receiving end thanks.

Indeed, one reason we do glider troops. Only one member of PBI to my knowledge has the right to wear jump wings.

I *may* or may not sew a parachute badge on my BD after i do my jumps this year but I'd never wear or awards for valour or hard won achievement unless portraying a particular named person.

Always safer to portray 'dead' cap badges and ancient awards than belittle the real heros achievements.

The usual rule in most circles is that qualifications and similar (AT, Driver, Instructor) is acceptable when a required part of an impression and or *impossible* to attain these days (you find me an assault glider that's serviceable and running a flight and i'll drop in it!) .

Awards and quals and elite unit stuff for units still about is a bit iffy (why PBI do only units that no longer exist)..

Bravery and valour awards are out of order.. its actually illegal in the US too.. under their 'stolen valor' laws.
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
dieselmonkey
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby dieselmonkey » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:33 am

Seeing as i started all of the medal ribbons, i hope i can chuck my oar in here.

The idea of these was a bit of fun, to show people what games they'd been to, and that was all.

However, I specifically chose pre-1900 Campaign medal ribbons (as opposed to awards for valour) that were from so long in the past that if people ever did choose to wear them, it would be unlikely to cause offense as there was no one alive to who had earned them.

In my personal opinion, awards for valour, and even campaign ribbons that are still wearable by living veterans are out of order.

This is mainly out of respect for the people who fought for these awards, who i'd be absolutely mortified if i, or by association with, anyone who wore these ribbons were to cause personal offence to them.

As regards combat awards worn, specifically on German uniforms, effectively these are also 'dead' awards, as they haven't been issued since '45, and it's actually illegal for veterans to wear them if you're a German, hence the 'de-nazified' post war versions, which are effectively different medals.

So, just as a final note, as the originator of this system, i'd appreciate it if people only used pre-1900 campaign ribbons, and not awards for valour, or medals that can still be worn by veterans. Anything other than that is lazy at best, and potentially offensive at worst.
AIRBORNE 55
Veteran
Veteran

Postby AIRBORNE 55 » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:23 pm

RIGHT THIS STOPS HERE END OF.
"We want to get the hell over there. The quicker we clean up this Goddamned mess, the quicker we can take a little jaunt against the purple pissing Japs and clean out their nest, too. Before the Goddamned Marines get all of the credit."

ImageImage

Return to “The Battle of Bloody Gulch”