Problems with a japanese side

Moderator: Steiner

Joseph Porta
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Problems with a japanese side

Postby Joseph Porta » Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:36 am

i think a japanese game would be fun, but it would never happen, its hard enough getting games full without another uniform to buy.

as for all the fuss about the pacific on sky, ive not watched it or ever will, ive no interest on the USMC, or the way that spielburg will portray them.

saving ryans privates was another example of spielburgs propaganda that i unfortuantly watched, never again.

ive got the same image as spiers had, a full 25 man side all decked out in USMC kit all hooh har`ing away, like a bunch of fecking pirates, and one or two japanese "targets" giving them all something to high cap at :rofl:

webby had a good USMC kit, long before all the "pacific" bullshite started, it looked good too.

and if pbi ever did a game against the japs, i would consider doing a looks like jap for a day, as i would be interested in a jap vs brit game :good: (im thinking of the michael caine film too late the hero ) even 5 jap snipers (in trees of course :rofl: ) ..... (with decent bolt actions) against maybe 10 to 15 PBI patroling, maybe a good scenario if it was summer and decent folliage around :?:
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison
Colosseum
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Colosseum » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:36 am

Again, my interest in the WW2 USMC stems more from Flags of Our Fathers than The Pacific... I mean sure the new miniseries helps but I've kind of wanted to do a USMC impression for about a year now. I just thankfully got on board before every idiot decides they want to switch from 101st Easy Company to PFC Robert Leckie and the cost of the gear skyrockets.
Rooster
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Rooster » Mon May 30, 2011 10:42 pm

This has been dead for a while i can see but its intresting so My thoughts on this,
A Japanese force wearing Khaki Brit Lightwights
any weapons from the ww2 period ideally Boltactions, stens (type 100?) and Ruger Mk1 pistols as Nambus
and a force of mixed Brit, Anzac, commonwealth and of course USMC
i remember a few years ago reading simalar comments about Eastern Front games, and now look where we are, Boyozon, Border Clash have been done we have the CIA one in July, minsk and then Anarchy under the eagle
I would ideally like to play Aussie but if there was a shortage in numbers i would deffinatly go Jap.
Just my 2p
ImageImage

ImageImageImageImageImage
WW2 Weapons AGM Sten, AGM MP40
mikoyan99
Veteran
Veteran

Postby mikoyan99 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:04 pm

Exactly what we tried last year; no luck unfortunately. If we end up eventually doing a Far East game, we'll have to get people into the proper uniforms or we won't get the required number of re-enactors coming down - there aren't enough airsofters with the right kit to make a game viable.
-Matt
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Sat May 10, 2014 1:48 am

I would like to do a PTO game so I can wear Jungle greens and play Aussie. What if there was a 2 day game where everyone has to play Japanese on one day or the other?
Bulk buy Japanese hats for the game and you wear khaki or pale green.
To emulate the Japanese fanaticism, let them tie the bandage on themselves and keep shooting until hit the 2nd time.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Coatimundi
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Coatimundi » Sat May 10, 2014 2:15 am

"Jap" is generally considered an ethnic slur, just pointing that out...
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Sat May 10, 2014 5:25 am

Russe11 wrote:I would like to do a PTO game so I can wear Jungle greens and play Aussie. What if there was a 2 day game where everyone has to play Japanese on one day or the other?
Bulk buy Japanese hats for the game and you wear khaki or pale green.
To emulate the Japanese fanaticism, let them tie the bandage on themselves and keep shooting until hit the 2nd time.

I dunno about everyone having to play Japanese on one day or another, it just means twice as many people have to buy kit and that makes a Burma game even less likely, plus some people don't want to play Japanese. I do like the idea of letting the Japanese players tie their own bandages on, one person could hold off on their own after sustaining a wound/if all their comrades died. I think that would really add to the game and as you put it emulate the fanaticism.
ImageImageImageImage
Allenby
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Allenby » Sat May 10, 2014 10:41 am

I'd get a Japanese impression together for Burma, no problem. From a British point of view I would have thought people would be queuing up to do it; there's a solid case to make that 14th Army was the best fighting formation we fielded during the war.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Sat May 10, 2014 11:51 am

Minimum Japanese loadout would be a helmet cover over a British Mk3 helmet
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/E2Z-IJA-WWII- ... 3cd6a743ff
It might also work over a Pith helmet.
Then a shirt and baggy trousers preferably with long Puttees.
If you did a 2 day game where everyone plays Japanese half the time, helmets and Puttees could be shared 1 between 2 and could be made in bulk for everyone to keep costs down. Once it has been done once, everything would be in place for the next time.
It would be a much more suitable game for the middle of summer than most as everyone would be in less wool etc. Kit loaning would also be optimised as the allied uniforms would only be needed for half the weekend.
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Sat May 10, 2014 12:03 pm

Russe11 wrote:Minimum Japanese loadout would be a helmet cover over a British Mk3 helmet

Or even just field caps. Looking at the shape of them it looks like it might actually be possible to replicate one from a post war soviet pilotka. Add a peak, strip of faux leather, neck cloth and a star and you're away.
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImage
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Sat May 10, 2014 4:43 pm

Frankly, a weekend game is going to cut your numbers down, then requiring people to 'double uniform' is going to reduce it even more.

I've only ever double uniformed at one event, and never again, the sheer amount of extra crap to lug around is unbelievable.

But if you think you can get the numbers, then go ahead and organise something, maybe the 34th guys could host it as their site is very 'jungly'.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

[img]bit.ly/ww2rib/ribbons/DHILL.jpg[/img]ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Sat May 10, 2014 7:16 pm

If it was to be successful then I think you would have to have an organiser that was willing to put on a game once a year. You can see it if you have read through Craig's Copenhagen game list the statement that the fact that going forward there is going to be a game for the early war kit of a number of nationalities means that people will not mind to source gear if it is for a viable ongoing style of game.
I mean I would. Banzai and all that...
ImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Sat May 10, 2014 7:51 pm

BootedFeet wrote:
Russe11 wrote:Minimum Japanese loadout would be a helmet cover over a British Mk3 helmet

Or even just field caps. Looking at the shape of them it looks like it might actually be possible to replicate one from a post war soviet pilotka. Add a peak, strip of faux leather, neck cloth and a star and you're away.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WWII-WW2-JAPA ... 2a2e752c11

As for running a game myself, I wouldn't have a clue where to start and I am useless at organising stuff. As mentioned before, it would need to be an annual event for people to invest the time and money so it would probably work best if we got a group of people together to get this off the ground.
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Sat May 10, 2014 8:18 pm

I think thats the officers cap although the same guy also does the enlisted man's version with the neck flap, SOF also now do Japanese. I suppose its inevitable that I will eventually do a Japanese impression. As it would only be low numbers I think Martin is right, Fireball would make a good site, perhaps its something we could look at for next year, I am sure we could get a Japanese look alike squad at least.

It would be nice to do some special rules for the Japanese to help with the feel and get some banzia charges going. maybe if you are shot while doing a Banzia you can still take 10 steps and bayonet an enemy if in reach before dying :slap:
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Sat May 10, 2014 8:53 pm

I'd consider doing a IJA impression. And I'm at the very least intrigued by the idea of special rules. However, let us agree now make sure that the Japanese team is properly represented as the fighting force they were and Not just 'Opfor' for the USMC. The majority of people who are dead keen on a PTO game appear to be 'The Pacific' fan-boys who just want some evil nasty banzai charging fanatics to mow down. Just how I'm seeing it.
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImage

Return to “Japanese”