Some common misconceptions...

Moderator: Steiner

Hirate Sakimori
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Re: Some common misconceptions...

Postby Hirate Sakimori » Tue Feb 10, 2015 3:23 pm

Allenby wrote:
Russe11 wrote:Australia raised the 9th Division of the AIF for the defence against the Japanese (6th, 7th and 8th were in the middle east and N Africa). ABDACOM's strategy of placing forces all over the region, rather than concentrating forces however meant that almost the whole division was lost.

6th, 7th and 9th AIF Divisions were all allocated to the Middle East and were raised in 1939-1940.

8th AIF were raised in 1940 and were assigned to ABDACOM. Lark, Sparrow and Gull Forces were spread across Rabaul, Ambon and Timor as reinforced battalions, whilst the bulk of the Division went to Malaya under Bennett, where it performed relatively well; though there's always been a cloud regarding their conduct in the aftermath of the attack on Singapore Island where it's alleged they basically disintegrated then buggered off as a marauding mob. Very harsh criticism largely spread by Heath, whose own Corps had hardly showered themselves in glory.

Spare a thought for the British 18th 'Eastern' Division though; 2/3 rds of which got off the boat at Keppel Harbour with all their equipment just in time to surrender without firing a shot.

Many allied units were not trained for Jungle Warfare, the Indian brigades were the first to fight the Japanese and the first man to die at Kota Bahru where the Japanese first landed a few hours before the attack on Pearl Harbour was a Muslim soldier in one of the Punjbi Dogra Battalions. I think his name was Hassan something from Hyderabad in India.

Most of the Officers where British and they died early in the fighting, the poor Punjabi's were a long way from home, with little training and a lot of them were doing well in the start of the campaign but later the Japanese brought up light tanks, pathetic little tankettes really... but decisive deadly weapons in this fight because the British had no Tanks.

I think the Australians and the Indians fought bravely, at Kampar the Indian division backed with British Artillery held the Japanese up for two weeks before being outflanked and forced off the valley.

Later the Australians too gave a good account of themselves at Gemensah bridge where they ambushed and slaughtered about a Battalion of Japanese troops on bicycles. My Grandfather said the Japanese hated that and were very angry about the losses suffered at the hands of the Australians and Indians... apparently the allies also shot any Japanese troops left behind in attacks... which made the Japanese slaughter allied wounded and prisoners too. Really nasty fight.

What made it more nasty was that the newer troops were not used to tropical conditions. The Japanese had been "prepared" for this for a while but the Allies didn't stand a chance because their leaders were very bad. Percival, Gordon Bennet and others like them were hopeless. Even Archie Wavell couldn't do much because he had very little resources left and the Japanese were being helped locally.

I personally think all troops did what they could in this brutal episode of world war 2 but the leaders on the allies side were poor. Yamashita was the best general all round, and he opposed the war but had to fight it anyway. As part Japanese I feel shamed by men like Colonel Tsuji and others in the headquarters staff... they were good planners but very brutal and mean characters.

Mattywheels wrote:Sounds like you've all got some good ideas - best to try and keep the rules as simple as possible though, introducing rules for this occurrence and rules for that could make the day very confusing indeed.

Rather than get to carried away in planning, its probably an idea to get an idea of numbers - pop a thread up on the main general forum and ask who would be keen to take part in a PTO game :good:

Ah yes good point. Also location is important too, I am always sort of on the move and I am sure others might well be dotted around. I know the re-enactment society is very thin hence why not so many regular meetings. I was sort of hoping to get more interest and maybe start somewhere in the middle of England as a location. However if more interest is down South or up North then perhaps the site should be considered in those places.

Obviously I wasn't thinking of a game anytime soon, late summer being the soonest really. But no harm in planning this early on.
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 6:33 pm

Allenby wrote: 6th, 7th and 9th AIF Divisions were all allocated to the Middle East and were raised in 1939-1940.
8th AIF were raised in 1940 and were assigned to ABDACOM. Lark, Sparrow and Gull Forces were spread across Rabaul, Ambon and Timor as reinforced battalions

Oops, I stand corrected.

Timed rounds sound like a nightmare, far too complicated. It would be easier to just use a mechanic that involves the need to constantly send people for supplies. If the path is cut, you get the choice to clear it or move back to where the supplies have reached. The officers (organisers) decide when to send out small flanking parties to cut the enemy supply routes and thus control the flow of the game. You would need a rule that no-one leaves the path without instructions from an officer. Then a small group holding a section of path would prevent re-spawning troops or supply runs from reaching the main force.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Allenby
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Allenby » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:19 pm

No you were right. I was just being pedantic. ;)

If you're thinking about a Pacific/Far East game, keep it simple. It's about the mindset of the individual putting themselves in the role. You can add things in terms of props that can add to it, but the more rules you make for such and such a situation, the more it's likely to fold like a deck of cards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:08 am

Kebab the night before to simulate the dysentry :rofl:
Hirate Sakimori
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Hirate Sakimori » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:20 am

Russe11 wrote:Kebab the night before to simulate the dysentry :rofl:

ROTFLMAO :rofl:
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:37 am

Hirate Sakimori wrote:Ah yes good point. Also location is important too, I am always sort of on the move and I am sure others might well be dotted around. I know the re-enactment society is very thin hence why not so many regular meetings. I was sort of hoping to get more interest and maybe start somewhere in the middle of England as a location. However if more interest is down South or up North then perhaps the site should be considered in those places.

Don't just make do with a site though, pick a site that fits the game and the feel of the event your going for and then players will travel as they have done for years to attend, and those that won't well...won't

Hirate Sakimori wrote:Obviously I wasn't thinking of a game anytime soon, late summer being the soonest really. But no harm in planning this early on.

I think if you look at the calendar its already quite full for events this year.
Don't rush into it planning is the best thing you can do at the moment.
When you have the idea of what you want to do and a time you want to do it then check with the other organisers as a lot of talking and interaction goes on behind the scenes to make sure nobody clashes with other events. I mean it would be soul destroying if you found the perfect site, have an awesome game plan, have talked and booked with the site owner etc. and then when you announce your game you find out another organiser has something booked and both events suffer with numbers attending.

I am not being a harbinger of doom, and would applaud you for putting your efforts in to getting something organised and would be seriously interested in attending. :good:
ImageImageImage
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby MartinR » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:51 am

If you're thinking about a Pacific/Far East game, keep it simple. It's about the mindset of the individual putting themselves in the role. You can add things in terms of props that can add to it, but the more rules you make for such and such a situation, the more it's likely to fold like a deck of cards.

Yes, keep it simple. People will just forget a ton of rules, most players can barely remember ammo limits, medic rules and where there HQ is (well, that certainly applies to me and I'm not even sure about the last one as I have got lost a few times).

You don't even need a ton of props, just enthusiastic organisers who can move the thing along and create the right atmosphere.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Hirate Sakimori
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Hirate Sakimori » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:16 pm

bigkie wrote:
Don't just make do with a site though, pick a site that fits the game and the feel of the event your going for and then players will travel as they have done for years to attend, and those that won't well...won't

Hirate Sakimori wrote:Obviously I wasn't thinking of a game anytime soon, late summer being the soonest really. But no harm in planning this early on.

I think if you look at the calendar its already quite full for events this year.
Don't rush into it planning is the best thing you can do at the moment.
When you have the idea of what you want to do and a time you want to do it then check with the other organisers as a lot of talking and interaction goes on behind the scenes to make sure nobody clashes with other events. I mean it would be soul destroying if you found the perfect site, have an awesome game plan, have talked and booked with the site owner etc. and then when you announce your game you find out another organiser has something booked and both events suffer with numbers attending.

I am not being a harbinger of doom, and would applaud you for putting your efforts in to getting something organised and would be seriously interested in attending. :good:

Thank you for your kind input.

Does anyone know of any good sites that might have suitable feel for a pacific game, ideally a site with a small woodland trail for something like Kokoda would be nice. I am sort of new to UK airsoft and don't know that many places myself.
Luiluei
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Luiluei » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:47 pm

I think the Gunman site at Eversley does have this feeling.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:20 pm

Luiluei wrote:I think the Gunman site at Eversley does have this feeling.

Also got a bit of a village set up for there Vietnam games which could add to it.
ImageImageImage
Hirate Sakimori
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Hirate Sakimori » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:27 pm

Oooh...

Just checked that out... they Eversley site does seem to have the right "look" about it. I know it's a little further out for me but I definitely get there if I had to for a game. I will probably contact them and get some more details maybe in the future. Thanks for this Luiluei does anyone else have experience with the facility? Are there others like it?

I know of a couple of sites in the Midlands but they don't have the "Far East" feel to them, the site at Eversley does definitely have more of a Jungle feel as opposed to a plain valley with a few trenches... which is what I am more familiar with round here.
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:39 pm

There was a big game there in March, the dense undergrowth does make for some good ambushes, Stormforce at Rugeley might also be worth a look
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImage
Hirate Sakimori
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby Hirate Sakimori » Thu Feb 12, 2015 2:52 pm

Thank you BootedFeet

Stormforce site also seems to tick a lot of boxes and it's closer to me but it all depends on what others think as well and any other similar sites others may know and would prefer just let us know. I will do my best to try and organise a game in the UK at some point... :D
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:15 pm

as i have said before , and have posted on the other post as well, there is a small test game planned - its just trying to find a time it will fit in the calendar as its very busy this year , but this will be only very small numbers 10-12 a side max , cant really say any more as if i cant fit it into the calendar ok , it wont happen

Return to “Japanese”