PDs Idea for a game becomes reality! Westwald/Ardennes Dec09

4-6 December 2009 - An AFRA Living History event
PD
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

PDs Idea for a game becomes reality! Westwald/Ardennes Dec09

Postby PD » Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:25 pm

Folks -Carefully chosen to avoid clashing with Cia/PBI - we are announcing our forthcoming Living History weekend which is for re-enactors AND Airsofters alike. There is a difference from the games you play and that is - living in the field with basics. Getting fed from field kitchens adn one or two adaptations of airsoft rules to make the hybridisation fit.

We hope you will find time and enthusiasm to come along - Whilst we will be strict on some aspects we will be making concessions ont eh first one or two gigs in order to make it possible for people to settle in and make the weekend work.

These are Friday evening starts, Sunday afternoon finishes - the time inbetween is fully tactical with NO MOD CONS!!!!!

Here's what's been posted on other forums - digest and ponder.
AFRA is setting up a radically different Living History Event. You do not have to be an AFRA member to participate but you DO have to be completely willing to abide by the dress regulations and equipment regulations as well as the format of the weekend in order to take part.

We are at present looking to get on board the following:

Command Staff - Non combatants who can successfully operate a rear echelon command post. Who can work together and co-ordinate, within the script, the actions and logistical support of front line combatants. You will also need to be able to fit into a predefined structure and work as a true team to achieve the objectives laid down for the operation. You also need to be able to set an example with your Living History skills and acumen. US, British/Canadian and German Re-enactors wanted for these roles.

Medical Staff - Non combatants to run rear echelon field hospital, dressing and clearing stations. Again operationg under a clear, predefined command structure, you will collect casualties on the battlefield (Wheeled transport if available) and treat them back at HQ. You will also judge combatants fit to return to the front and present them to the Command Staff for redeployment (shit I'm sounding like someone I know here!) - Joint US/British/Canadian wanted as well as German Medical Staff. On field medics will be needed also - You may carry a weapon but if you use it then you will be deemed combatant and liable to be attacked and shot. Sidearms will be for Personal Protection ONLY.

Field Kitchens - Non combatants to operate field kitchens supplying hot food to front line units as well as looking after HQ staff, Medics and patients. I think you get the picture - You will operate your field kitchen and may be required to despatch hot rations to troops at the sharp end..... under cover of darkness if necessary!

Drivers - Not joyriders but vehicle owners, operators of light wheeled softskins, light wheeled armour, heavy wheels (trucks) and in a couple of instances tracked armour - required to transport, deliver orders, replacement troops, bring in casualites and support assaults or defences of positions....... Can you work as part of a scenario? Can you live, eat and sleep with your vehicle? Consider coming to the first of its kind then....

Combatants - Nominally we are looking for 150 a side!
US Infantry and Canadian/British Infantry capable of going out into the field on Friday Evening in December, not whingeing or whining but digging in and getting ready to assault the Reich at Daybreak on Saturday Morning. (A tiny US Airborne element may be included if interest is shown No AB Brits though)
Germans - Heer, Volksgrenadier and SS troops who will arrive Friday and dig in ready to receive the coming onslaught in the morning. Living in Zeltbahns stuffed with straw, sleeping in greatcoats wrapped in a wool blanket - no fires for fear the enemy will shell your position. Being rushed from breakthrough to breakthrough to stem the advance....... (we may be able to squeeze in some FJ if there is sufficient interest)

WE are looking to end the easy life LH blats that have become part of our scene. We are looking to accept applications from people who come into this with their eyes open and accept some hardship for 36 hours. People who will turn up on time, no excuses or complaints, who will muck in and get their heads down and make it work. As long as you will fit in with your mates into a command structure which is as realistic as we can make it and are prepared to play the game fairly and earnestly then this is for you. IF you want to bring a camp bed and a lilo along with a case of pot noodles - stay away. If you want to whine about it afterwards -stay away. This is going to be hard core. We will have Health and Safety first and foremost. The organisers are going to take care of food, rules, organisation and all the niggles that usually blight these events. Swynnerton was about the best gig to compare this to in recent times. We are taking it a stage further.

Now the NEW and RADICAL BIT..... To take part you will need, as well as your accurate kit, field rations and a good attitude, a WWII airsoft weapon firing at accepted UK limits and some British Standard Eye protection! You have until December to obtain a rifle for preference but SMGs and MGs will be required. We are going to use airsoft weapons instead of blank firers and that means NO SHOT CALLING - when you are hit you are hit. Also it means that when shot at you will hear and see the near misses and have to react. No more hiding behind long grass. No modern weapons will be substituted - US, British and German weapons only. This is going to be a Living History Private Event where for possibly the first time ever - when you're shot - you feel it.

We will be writing up rules of engagement and what to do when shot. Wound and Death rules as well as what happens when you get back to the hospital. IF you buy into this, it will be a brilliant event. We are supplying the means, we need you to have a bloody good think and make several attitude adjustments - Then we need you to register your interests and come make this a truly groundbreaking LH winter event. Leave ALL Your preconceptions at home folks...... We want you to come with an open mind and leave with a good feeling and the sense of having acheived something. You will need relevant Liability Insurance to participate and to be an active, bona fide re-enactor but other than that it's open to anyone who will come and work with everyone else to create a believable scenario Friday to Sunday in what can possibly be the harshest environment possible in the UK - Winter in a Pine Forest under canvas!!!!! we aim to do it around the time it was done for real - Those who can't be there can be with us.

Do you want in? There are already those who have said YES - so contact us with your offers of participation and we will start to fit things together - More information will be available on the AFRA News page in coming weeks/months.

Already vehicle owners and groups are expressing interest. We have halftracks and armoured vehicles wanting to book in. We know it's not going to be for everyone but we believe in giving folks the choice. - Come and get frostbite with us!!!!!!
ImageImageImage Image
LOOK! I ham now four meggle man!
A001
Devonshire Trooper
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: PDs Idea for a game becomes reality! Westwald/Ardennes Dec09

Postby Devonshire Trooper » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:19 am

Sounds good to me but where is it and how much ect ?

Might be somthing for the Doughboys to get into crack out the M43's and greatcoats and PBI could do Hallamshire's aswell :wink:
HeadShot
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby HeadShot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:19 am

Yes, dates, location and costs are needed.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:42 am

If were free i reckon a few of us would love to do hallamshires for this.
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
Seanebabes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Seanebabes » Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:24 pm

Cool! Well, December, probably bl##dy cold, but you know what I mean. Yes, please, count me in.
Cost, location and date would be appreciated as soon as possible. Also some idea of how units will be set up/allocated.
Sounds fantastic to me. My only concern is the no whinging rule. Isn't it an Englishmans right to grumble? You know, too hot, too cold, not enough food, too much bully beef... etc. :wink:
ImageImageImage
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:33 pm

Yes, sorry, interested too.

Paul, it would also be useful to know haw exacting your kit restrictions are, for example would we need to have every piece of kit as period? IE: My great coat is British, but I represent US. Would modern undergarments be allowed if period ones can't be sourced?
PD
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby PD » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:12 pm

He he!
I'm gonna nick a leaf out of Dave's book here - We are not going to be anal about this - The overall ethos is what we want to establish. Obviously we'd LIKE people to rebadge but it's not 100% essential. We'd LIKE people to have all accurate kit but it's not going to happen - I know LONG TIME re-enactors who still don't have exactly the right stuff.....

Modern thermals are very advisable - we have a back up system which we advise people about - Leave a set of dry warm clothes ready in yoru car as well as (if possible) a modern kip bag/thermal blanket etc. Already been on to one of the cooks - His intention is to function through the night to provide hot drinks, water and soup etc. We will do that on both sides......

We will publish a kit list soon but more importantly we want people to be comfortable. There should be people qualified in fieldcraft on hand and we will ensure folks don't go down with hypothermia etc. If it gets silly we are quite prepared to call it off or at least call people into emergency accommodation for a rethink.

Date is 4-6 December - Arrive Friday afternoon and go into the field before dark (sunset is nominally noted as 15.53) Jump off is Saturday Morning at sunrise (nominally 07:56) - then it's tactical until Sunday 14:00..........

When I put in no whingeing I meant the usual crop of after eventers - (Mainly re-enactment bods) who always seem to turn up to gigs, never organise anything themselves but are the experts on what was wrong or lacking etc. I probably will whinge myself :rofl: Main thing is we'd like to see the two combined - for 20 odd years private battles have been put on and the atmosphere has been great on the majority. But there has ALWAYS been something lacking. I was expecting the re-enactment crowd to come up immediately with "Wot no real gunz?" but that's not happening. Folks have got nearly 6 months to get themselves an airsoft weapon - and the price of them is below a deact in most cases. What we really want people to look at is the challenge of beating the weather, coping with some hardship and also playing as a team...... I think it can and will be done. :wink:
ImageImageImage Image
LOOK! I ham now four meggle man!
A001
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:15 pm

Sounds good to me.

But WHERE?!?!?! :lol:
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:20 pm

This does sound very interesting to me. My main concern will always be that when I've done similar things before I've not got any sleep. As I'm likely to be a driver, that means there's no way I can drive safely home on the Sunday unless it's bloody close to home.

So it's mainly going to depend on the availabilty of comfortable accomodation on the sunday night as well as it not being bloody miles away.

As for the weapons, I do hope warren doesn't get completely swamped with gun orders as a result of this (though I'm sure he wouldn't mind the extra income ;)) The problem is I'm sure he couldn't possibly produce several tens of No4s before December!
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

scaleyback
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby scaleyback » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:24 pm

dont forget it gets very dark very early in december, even earlier under cover of trees, that means the night is going to be long.and cold. and possibly wet.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:27 pm

yeah... not pleasant!

HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:31 pm

Which is why we're doing our 24hr event in August! Still, this sounds good and one hell of a challenge.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:36 pm

yeah... not pleasant!

Maybe, maybe not - the idea isn't for a 'pleasant' weekend though is it? Its about getting close to reality, a reasonably authentic living history event.
This event has the full support of Comrades in Arms and something we have been working towards (for one reason and another, slower that we had anticipated!). Its a new concept and a daring one too - now Paul has gone public we will be doing everything we can to assist him and the AFRA team to help make this event a success.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:37 pm

Yeah... one thing that definitely makes it more interesting is all the talk of a good backup system! :good:

scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:48 pm

i am just saying, something like this can be a big shock to the system for anyone who has never done anything like this before..when you check your watch and its 19:42 hours,,, you check it 3 hours later and its 19:53 hours it can be a bit daunting.

Return to “Reichswald Dec '44 - OP PeelMarshes”