Eye/face protection

4-6 December 2009 - An AFRA Living History event
PD
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Eye/face protection

Postby PD » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:06 pm

This is probably a well trod path but what are people's thoughts on eye protection?

Is it feasible to ask for people to wear non tinted, non obtrusive eye protectors? Or do folks prefer tints and goggle types?

I only ask because many will be buying for the first time and I'd rather they buy right. Obviously frameless, clear specs/goggles whatever look less intrusive - and that's what I'd LIKE to see but it's stupid to try to impose a rule like this on folks.....

What are your thoughts?
ImageImageImage Image
LOOK! I ham now four meggle man!
A001
scaleyback
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Eye/face protection

Postby scaleyback » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:13 pm

thats a tricky one mate, you are treading into H+S bollocks. while no one likes full face masks, it might be prudent to allow them if people want them ,as its a first game...... nothing like having a tooth shot out in your first game to put a damper on it.

good quality bolle or even dewalt safety specs are not expensive, but i wouldnt ban full face. that way you have covered your back. if its in december under the trees, its going to be dark about 3:30 pm, so i would recommend clear lenses, other wise it will be like airsofting with a bunch of steve wonders.
PD
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby PD » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:22 pm

Not banning or insisting on anything Scaley - That's the whole point - I want to gauge opinion and see what people are comfy with. Then it HAS to be advice as to what people wear - I'd rather folks wear the level of protection that makes them secure. My main question was concerning tinted eyewear though.
ImageImageImage Image
LOOK! I ham now four meggle man!
A001
dieselmonkey
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby dieselmonkey » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:26 pm

PD wrote: My main question was concerning tinted eyewear though.

Personally i think tinted lenses do detract a lot from the look of ww2 games, even moreso than full face masks. i can't see an issue with insisting on clear lenses.

Are sunglasses allowed in reenacting? can't say i've ever seen any, other than USAF reenactors!
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:27 pm

Players who need eyesight correction have less choice in the matter - things like Army issue ESS glasses can have prescription lenses fitted. Completely clear DIY goggles are available that enable spectacle wearing but are somewhat bulky.

Otherwise:
Since most tinted specs in use are just a choice of lens then I think you can safely say 'no tinted glasses'. They do look a bit incongruous esp when there is an alternative in the box!
This type of glasses is fine http://www.screwfix.com/prods/89679/Workwear-PPE/Protective-Clothing/Eye-Protection/Bolle-Silium-Safety-Spectacles-Clear?cm_mmc=GoogleBase-_-Datafeed-_-Workwear%20and%20PPE-_-Bolle%20Silium%20Safety%20Spectacles%20Clear This isn't a recommended supplier - just shows you what to look for. On ebay too for £6 plus.

Some people prefer mesh goggles as they don't steam up. They do look like airsofters kit though.

Full face masks definitely ruin the look though. If you don't want to be shot in the face then don't attend, if you don't want to be shot in the teeth wear gum protectors.

Still, above all its about eye protection so above all it ought to be made clear that anything covering you eyes won't do - it has to be made for the job, prevent penetration at point blank and have no gaps around the edge.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
che
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby che » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:36 pm

i have only ever worn clear safty glasses .and i have been shot lots and lots of times in the face yes its hurts yes it bleeds but not for long within a week its no more than a faint mark .so its no big deal .and as its winter i am sure everybody will be wearing a torqe that covers the face anyway. :good:
theres nowt so Permanent as temporary

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Kermit

Postby Kermit » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:44 pm

Clear lenses get my vote. Not massively keen on the mesh ones though. Way back when I ran a site over near Reading I saw two cases of people ending up in A&E when BB's fragmented on mesh goggles (some brands of BB can be quite brittle, and even though the Mesh deforms to a certain degree, the BB's will still fragment)

As to getting shot in the face, yes, it stings a bit, but it sure teaches you to keep your f*****g head down :lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

When we were a Kingdom it was run by a King
When we were an Empire it was run by an Empress
Now we're a country we're run by a..........
Gadge
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Gadge » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Budge withstanding it might be an idea to buy 10 - 20 pairs of Bolle silliums PD.

You can get them at about £4 a piece if you got them in bulk and it means you have something usable to hand if someone comes along insisting their vintage jeep goggles are fine.

(as an aside we had a guy come to our paintball site once insisting his army issue dust goggles were fine and wanting to use them,. we said fine if we can put five rounds on them point blank... first one smashed straight through and he sensibly elected to use the eye prot provided ;) )

Personally I dont think you can insist on any one type of eye prot, you can just insist on it being of a certain rating /proof and then advise folk that in keeping with the nature of the event clear shooting glasses type protection is preferred.

Just my thoughts.
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:33 pm

Clear lenses. No point in tinted.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Forester
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Forester » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 pm

My fly in the ointment, i wear period mountain troop goggles with the tinted glass replaced by safety lenses. :roll: ( 8) as I do suffer in bright conditions)
______________Image Image Image
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:00 pm

Of course, this eye protection malarkey has rather scuppered my plans to wear a monocle. Eye patch is do-able though... :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zero Bravo

Postby Zero Bravo » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:22 pm

I think it's fair to ask for no tints in the winter. Personally I have to wear tints in bright sunlight but that doesnt happen often in this country. Generall there's low light in woodland at that time of year, so tints would be a marked disadvantage at dusk and dawn attacks.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Seidler
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Seidler » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:58 pm

having only done a couple of events, i have been wearing B&Q safety glasses (@£2.99 if I remember rightly) and I like them cos they are as unobtrusive as you can get over glasses.....and having been shot in the face on every occasion I am with Kermit...it'll teach me to keep my f***in head down!!

Personally I like them to be as unobtrusive as possible...we know we have to wear them but i dont ever remember seeing a picture of Darth Vader in my reference books...!
che
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby che » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:21 pm

airsoft is totaly diferent you may get shot in the face but at best it stings at worst it stings and bleeds either way no big thing.the worst thing that could ever happen is bursting an eye but as long as your glasses are on no prob there. :wink:
theres nowt so Permanent as temporary

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:12 am

Seidler wrote:having only done a couple of events, i have been wearing B&Q safety glasses (@£2.99 if I remember rightly) and I like them cos they are as unobtrusive as you can get over glasses.....

Guy, you might want to check if they're actually strong enough for airsoft - I do recall a player wearing something similar being told that they weren't.

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier

Return to “Reichswald Dec '44 - OP PeelMarshes”