Op Lightning: Questions and Discussion

Gadge
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Re: Op Lightning: Questions and Discussion

Postby Gadge » Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:33 pm

To echo, not a bolt action only game would just be nice for those that already do have them to use them in preference to smgs etc.
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
JD7

Postby JD7 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:39 pm

Gadge wrote:To echo, not a bolt action only game would just be nice for those that already do have them to use them in preference to smgs etc.

I'm taking both my gas bolt action rifles :wink: oh and some other stuff.

Like PBI, Pete and I would love to see a correct weapons squad from the 1940's - rifles, couple of SMGs and an LMG - but heh we're not all lottery winners. would rather see an extra thompson or mp40 over a scrimmed modern rifle anyday.

If it's never been seen in black and white - it's not right lol
Peppered
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Peppered » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:03 pm

Thanks for the clarification but from my perspective, I think it is a mistake.

We will continue to be locked into what is available rather than what we should have from a squad formation point of view.

I don't have a problem as I already have an MP40, a K98 Dboyi, c96 rifle and a Thompson but now I will be facing a swarm of smgs as they are cheaply available! smg for me too then irrespective of what I should be carrying.

Is it really too difficult to get people to say what they have and allow scrimmed up bolt actions so we can try and use proper squad tactics?

We may as well leave the MGs behind as well as they will not have significant advantage to offset the weight.

:(
Zero Bravo
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Zero Bravo » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:18 pm

Sorry to spam this thread with loads of newb style questions, but concerning kit, would the Heer troopers be carrying mess tins and water bottles on their loadout or would they be on a lighter belt order? Thanks for bearing with me :)
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:21 pm

I did think authentic weapons for rifle squads was one of the points of the exercise - as authentic as poss. Surely with the low numbers per side, we have enough rifles between us? (I know someone has 4! :wink: )

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:39 pm

As possible...

as possible.

Its still going to be 70 per cent rifles at this rate so i dont see the need for anyone to get stressed out about it.

Its also going to be more limited in ammo than a cia game and ran on 'combat mission' rules so the ability to spew out 800 rounds a minute will keep you in the game for the best part of 30 seconds if you've a heavy trigger finger.

Note its also an invite only game so everyone invited is trusted to be using single shots most the time with smg 'bursts' for clearing bunkers/assaults and the historical purpose they were designed for.

We all know each other, we're all taking part for the same reason (greater realism/historical feel/ micro environment etc) anyone treating it like an open day blat will most likely be politely chatted to and if they persist shown the site exit for ruining the game for all.

I'd expect Hohenstaufen to do the same with their membership but equally don't for one minute expect anyone to turn up in fantasist kit with a ruck load of hi-caps :)

Drop the idea of 'bolt action battle' latch on to 'as close as we can get to a wwii reenactment type battle as we can get'

From what i can see it look so far like 9th ss will be fielding 2mp40s and 2 mg42s, pbi will sport at the most 2 or three mp40s or thompsons, 1 or two brens and the rest rifles.

Heer garrison look like they currently have a couple of rifle and an mp40.

So hardly any need to worry really :)

As for the partisan/brandenburg faction.

Well so far that a grand total of one player so we need to pul our fingers out and think of who we'd like to come along as the balkan irregulars. I have two folk who want to attend.

Edit:

The other things that are going to make this one stand out are things like:

Period tactics, period squad organisations.
Folk actually *bothering* about chains of command.
Objective non prescriptive orders to NCOs
Uniformity of kit on each side for the IFF element
Camaraderie of two exisisting dedicated groups will the same goals and mindsets who want to go a little further towards 're-enactment' type battling having some good games of airsoft in the woods :)
ImageImage

imp1864
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby imp1864 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:57 pm

well count me in as Partisan. :good:
ImageImageImage
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Thu Jan 01, 2009 5:53 pm

Gadge is absolutely right, but I'll see how this develops. If there's going to be more than a couple of aeg's per side, I won't bother bringing the MG42. Peppered quite rightly points out that the firepower of an MG will be negated by more mobile aeg's firing at the same kind of velocity.

Zero Bravo wrote:Sorry to spam this thread with loads of newb style questions, but concerning kit, would the Heer troopers be carrying mess tins and water bottles on their loadout or would they be on a lighter belt order? Thanks for bearing with me :)

Completely up to you. I'd suggest a waterbottle, just for practicality more than realism. I've put on the Hohenstaufen kitlist that belt, buckle, "y" straps, breadbag and ammo pouches should be a minimum "fighting order" for belt kit.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:17 pm

I'm envisioning the heer garrison to be very light belt order.

I'd *like* to see them in the sort of belt order you see 'guards' in classic warfilms wearing.

But for practicality of airsofting I think a bread bag and canteen could be handy.
ImageImage

Peppered
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Peppered » Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:13 pm

OK sounds like we are back in expected territory.

I just lurched at DMs post re period over scrimmed which I want a No4 but the best I can get to by the game is a heavily disguised Bar10.

I only see what is on the forum so if someone posts it is no looks alike, preferred period AEG only, thats what I take as being the rule. Sorry if my post was a bit ranty but this is a unique opportunity to move closer to playing like it would have been but that needs reliable and plentiful bolt actions - which means we have to swallow the period bit while everyone catches up. Otherwise, as per above, it drives us down the MP40 vs Tommy SISK route.

I will be heavily disguising the Bar10 as per the M249 Bren disguise level so I am hoping it will be a quick start, low cost rifle option for everyone if it looks OK.

Happy now so can we settle the ammo limits etc?
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:03 am

Sorry for this game MP40 vs Thompson is not SISK... Its a commando action so the Tommy gun is certainly fully acceptable (though in the 1928 rather than M1A1 form)

I'd still rather see people with MP40s than any modern looking bolt action with scrim on it, especially for Heer as they would (I assume) be unlikely to have scrimmed weapons.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Peppered
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Peppered » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:33 am

Yith, OK not wanting to argue the toss over ww2 Commandos all being armed with a Thompson (possible but for specific operations i.e. FIBUA, tunnels etc not open ground)or running into a bunch of Germans all armed with MP40s (again possible if guards in a town or facility, not open ground) and ignoring the fact that most people will have the wrong version of the Thompson;

Can you have a chat with Gadge and reach a concensus on what this game requires in terms of weapons? We have seen posts swing from traditional squads with mainly rifles and an MG to all AEGs and it is a bit confusing.

BTW I agree with the "modern looking weapons with scrim on" as not being desireable however my understanding would be a high level of disguise that from a distance the profile and look would be pretty good?
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:50 am

We (the organisers) have discussed this in our private forum and the consensus was that to look perfect is more important than having lots of bolt actions.

Having loads of bolt actions would be nice, but not at the expense of losing the immersion of having correct looking kit.

A scrimmed up modern rifle is not correct looking kit hence is not preferred.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Peppered
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Peppered » Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Yith, thanks for the clarification - Thompson for me then :twisted:
scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:01 pm

i hope for the sake of authenticity there will be planty of colditz castle style -red white and black stripe painted senrty boxes or i am just not playing............................................. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Return to “Operation Lighting - 29th March 2009”