My First WW2 Gun. What should I get?

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: My First WW2 Gun

Postby Steiner » Sun Mar 28, 2010 10:06 pm

I've never felt outgunned at an open day with my MP40 - lo-caps all the way! 8)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
webby
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby webby » Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:54 am

My 1st WWII gun was a thompson, based off using chomleys at open days back when CiA was a twinkle in someones eye! Hehe
I opted for a 6mm carbine when I got back into WWII when the BOTB game was announced, took the plunge and bought all my kit again!

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Fandanglos
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Fandanglos » Mon Mar 29, 2010 7:00 pm

My first WWII weapon was an AGM MP40, bought back in 2005 for peanuts. I still use it regularly now, have never felt the need to upgrade it, and apart from buying new mags on a regular basis (they are sh*t) it has never cost me a penny in repairs.

It will die on me now I have said that. :slap:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:47 pm

My first airsoft gun of any sort was a TM M1A1. It got used for everything esp CQB at Lincs Airsoft. I used to wear a denison and wools though did once go in an M42. Good times.
aka Stigroadie
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
Peppered
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Peppered » Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:44 am

Hi, I agree with Chommers, I bought a CYMA socom M14 and changed the stock for a plastic wood one with the aim to make a G43, but never got around to it. It looks OK and works well - I have played open days with it just in semi and it was just as good as any other AEG. I understand what steiner is saying as I also have an MP40 and it is fantastic out of the box. It seems more appropriate for Germans to have a few more MP40s to me but I would still like more bolt actions to better mimic the real rifle squads.

I played Aerial with a BAR10 covered in wood effect Fablon padded with pipe lagging - it sounds laughable but it really looked OK from 15 feet! I bought a cheap Lee Enfield front sight protector, that just clips on the barrel, and cut down an old M14 mag and shaped it a bit before attaching. The gun cost less than £80, I only have one mag at the moment but that reload time is very quick.

I had a brilliant day with it at Aerial! It shoots 400fps plus out of the box. It fires straight. It has a bit better range than the SMGs. I have to play differently with it, and that is the fun part!

I totally understand people's worry about spending out as this is not a cheap hobby but I agree the M14 is the best compromise!

However.... it is a compromise and, though I like the fact thet the M14 has no MED and has semi auto, you play very differently with a bolt action and a squad of them would be awsome... Fablon anyone?
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Thu Sep 23, 2010 9:43 am

I am going to 'resurrect' this thread, as I think it is an important one, to further support Chomley's original post if I may.

I would like to do this by adding the following photo from the last Doughboys game.

This photo features the aforementioned using (if I am not terribly mistaken) an M14. The gun does not look out of place, in fact I only noticed it was an M14 when I looked at the pics after the event, not noticing on the day.

The weapon fits in with the period look and feel and, for those who are not 'engineeringly minded'/rich enough to make/mend their own Garand and it is functionally accurate, which far outweighs little niggles about it not being spot on.

Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:09 am

Plus at a later date you can always convert it to a garand if you are so inclined.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:47 pm

i am sure PBI members will remember when a section of south staffs armed with no4 enfields and 2 stens ran the members of a certain airsoft site ( UNREAL AIRSOFT) ragged all day... in the end, the marshals had to " engineer" a victory for the duel wealding , chrome AK 47 box mag team in the last game (event, sorry chomers) ...... :whistle:
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Why are you sorry - that clearly was a game not an event.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:18 pm

ah. :good:
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:21 pm

Plus I did have a Garand that day :whistle:

Though, to bring this into the discussion, I don't think that 'viability at open days' is actually that high on people's lists (I have used MP40 low caps, and boltie Mosin Nagants before with equal enjoyment). Getting a gun that is available, affordable, and correct for a WWII game is.

The M14, in my own humble opinion, is a more 'correct' gun than one of the list of period SMGs available.

McVickers

Postby McVickers » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:30 pm

As a long-term devout skinflint (regularly worshiping at the church of St Miser); my first WW2 weapon was my homebuilt Vickers MMG. I then went on to gain a lightly-used second-hand Thompson with 6 metal bodied mags (albiet, high-caps) for the brilliant price of £80. Cost is my only limiting factor.
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Hänschen klein

Postby Hänschen klein » Thu Sep 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Re my previous post M14 great starter gun. I used mine at OP Sealion and it did not fail once. G43 look a like for limited outlay. Just a K98 cleaning rod, cut off the flash hider change the top and hide the top receiver with a scope

I fully endorse the More rifles less Smg approach
Attachments
Picture1.jpg
ImageImage Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage
Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image ImageImageImage
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Steinlager
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Steinlager » Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:22 pm

If you dont fancy going the whole hog and cutting/modifying your M14, you could make something like this.
m14-cover.jpg

I was going to make an SVT-40 (or SVT 14 like Barrie and Annes). This was as far as I got. Its a spare M14 plastic heat shield which I smoothed out with milliput, then glued on a wood veneer, which was stained and oiled to look like the stock. It looks ok on the rifle and its fairly easy to change back to the original M14.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Barrie and Anne
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Barrie and Anne » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:16 pm

Steinlager, that wood effect looks excellent. What's the wood veneer you stuck on? I was looking for something like that when I did ours but ran out of time and just ended up painting them. By the way, I don't think SVT 14 is a real gun, ours were supposed to be SVT 40s too but someone (Beds n Herts I think) just made up SVT 14 and I liked it!

Also, and about a year or so too late, I must say I agree wholeheartedly with the original premise of this thread. More rifles, even if they are "farby" M14s, can only be a good thing and as stated it's a versatile gun too, applicable just about anywhere.

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”