My First WW2 Gun. What should I get?

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
Steinlager
Veteran
Veteran

Re: My First WW2 Gun

Postby Steinlager » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:00 am

Barrie and Anne wrote:Steinlager, that wood effect looks excellent. What's the wood veneer you stuck on? I was looking for something like that when I did ours but ran out of time and just ended up painting them. By the way, I don't think SVT 14 is a real gun, ours were supposed to be SVT 40s too but someone (Beds n Herts I think) just made up SVT 14 and I liked it!

Also, and about a year or so too late, I must say I agree wholeheartedly with the original premise of this thread. More rifles, even if they are "farby" M14s, can only be a good thing and as stated it's a versatile gun too, applicable just about anywhere.

Thanks. I know the SVT14 thing was a joke, just seemed right somehow :) . I bought the wood veneer cheap off ebay, a job lot of different woods. I was going to paint it then remembered I'm rubbish at painting.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby dadio » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:02 am

i think the thing to remmeber about a first ww2 gun is who is buying it ,most (not all)new players are moving over from walk-on airsoft and are toe dipping.now there is a gulf of difference,not so mutch if the player has done some mil-sim,between walk-on and ww2.the player is going to have to find mid-caps and gun that he may feel he wont use mutch(i say he but it can also be she),now in the competative world of walk-on airsoft he's looking for a competative gun and is going to take a lot of convinceing before getting an m14 locked to single shot when he could have an smg or assault rifle.
i know that i came from and still enjoy walk-on and am as guilty as many others in this attitude,but am going to make my next purchase a rifle .
i dont know if this is the right place to suggest it but maybe game organization should limit the numbers of full-automaticks in games when booking or limiting the way in whitch they can be used in a senario ,eg dispersing them so that no two players on the same team with full-auto to be within twenty paces of each other or limit the number in an assault makeing the rest defensive only and rotateing the players .
in whatever way its done a greater number of rifles is the wey forward (or back in time) but i think its going to be hard to persuade new players to go for a rifle role .maybe the most we can hope for is a second gun to be a rifle once weve got them interested,i know that was the route i took , i got a thompson a few months after marui started makeing it ,long before i heard of ww2 airsoft in the uk ,my next ww2 gun was a home made sten mk2 ,now ive just finished a mk2 bren and im now thinking of getting a rifle so like i say im pretty guilty but i know im not the only one.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:15 am

dadio wrote:now in the competative world of walk-on airsoft he's looking for a competative gun

Strange thing to say - in what way is an M14 less "competitive" than an SMG?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:23 am

True... I've known plenty of players who get the competitive edge in open day play by using an M14 on semi as their main weapon because of it's higher accuracy and range.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:50 am

Indeed, M14s tend to have excellent range and accuracy for an AEG, TM ones especially. They can also take high caps and there is no need for locking them on semi for WWII- infact its better not to in case of a jam. That makes them ideal for both open days and WWII to my mind. The only advantage I can see with having an SMG is the smaller size and weight: an M14 isn't so good for CQB. :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
JD7
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby JD7 » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:06 pm

yeah, especially since your not allowed to hit opposition with the butt :)
Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:30 pm

Well not deliberately anyway. :whistle:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Cadaceus
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cadaceus » Wed Sep 29, 2010 12:46 pm

I can only add my 2 cents worth as a fairly long time aitsofter but new to WW2
I brought a Cyma M1A1 because I got it cheap after War and Peace show from Elite Essex (as was)they were selling them with a huge discount so I thought why not
Now after (nearly) completing my 35th Inf Div load out and no inconsiderable cost I will be sticking with my Thompson and m1911 for quite some time ( unless I win the lottery)
so an M14 might be the ideal unless you already have a "period" AEG
Hope I don't get flamed as and when I turn up at a CIA game with a Thompson
Cad

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Impressions:
U.S. 35th Inf Tech Sargeant
British Royal Artillery Gunner
Generic SS Mann
Weapons:
Cyma M1A1
ASG Sten MK2
ASG MP40
TM M1911A1
WE Browning High Power
HFC Mauser C96
scaleyback

Postby scaleyback » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:50 pm

everyone is banging on about the cost of a rifle/second gun/ the ressesion/ wife wont let me etc........ i managed to buy a new shoot and scoot enfield at over £500 without having worked or recieved a coin in state hand outs for two years.

if you want one, you will find a way to get one.

my first ww2 airsoft was a china tommy.
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:53 pm

That's missing the point really Cadaceus (and Scaley). This thread is about thoughts on getting an ideal first gun, and the proposal is that an M14 fits the bill perfectly. No more, no less. What players actually bought as their first gun is by-the-by.

"Flaming" forms no part of what CiA does or will ever do (and I can safely say the same goes for all other organisers too) :wink:

(Heh, for the record - my first gun was a Thompson but that was long before we got the WW2 scene going!)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:56 pm

Ditto on the tommy being my first gun...

It's just a shame that despite it being perhaps the best gun for a new WWII player, the M14 is not by any means shape or form a WWII gun!
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Wladek

Postby Wladek » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:02 pm

Yith wrote:Ditto on the tommy being my first gun...

It's just a shame that despite it being perhaps the best gun for a new WWII player, the M14 is not by any means shape or form a WWII gun!

Actually, by 'means' it is a WWII gun, in that it is a semi automatic rifle. I am aware that my point is biased towards an American player view, but meh, others used 'em.

The means just outweighs the form in my opinion.

Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:12 pm

WW2 airsoft, like life, is full of compromises.

I mean, for the axis the Tanaka K98 is just about perfect in every way conceivable (its of the period, a good facsimile, accurate in use, hits targets) but there is no way that can be recommended as a first gun.
The Thompson is great in all these respects too (and has the benefit of being a great open day gun too and well suited to first timers) but compromises accurate deployment in battle. And its this issue that really is the crux of this thread.
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:28 pm

I'd have to agree that the M14 is a good starter gun, especially for those who aren't 100% which impression they want to do or even for those players who want to do both Axis and Allies.

It does perfect triple duty; Garand-a-like for US Impression, Gewehr43-a-like for German, and SVT40-a-like for Russian impressions. It's not idea for a Brit impression but, meh, 3 out of 4 ain't bad!

The only gun which does better at being applicable for use by all sides and in all theatre's (excluding pacific of course), and is a genuine period gun, is the MP40! But as said, It's yet another SMG's!
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:31 pm

Hehe, my first WWII gun was a Tanaka (not my first airsoft gun though)but I'd agree that its by no means the ideal first gun.Even as afirst WWII gun as it lacks the flexibility of an AEG for use in cold weather and different game styles/sites. Although it does have the advantage of fitting into any possible scenario regardless of date & theatre.

I wouldn't go that far, it may look slightly different but it is essentially just a modified Garand so is a WWII at heart. Its just a shame it seems to be taking the manufacturers so long to realise this!

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”