AGM sten gun mags

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
Waldiebeast
First Posting
First Posting

AGM sten gun mags

Postby Waldiebeast » Mon May 23, 2011 1:14 pm

I have been looking for ways to make magazines for the AGM sten that are NOT mp40 style mags. Do any of you guys think you could help here :rofl: I realised that the real mags had no grooves
GUNS: (ww2)
AGM sten mkII
Classic Army Colt 1911A1 GBB pistol
ARES PPSh-41
Deact Mosin M38
McVickers
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: AGM sten gun mags

Postby McVickers » Mon May 23, 2011 4:36 pm

Waldiebeast wrote:I have been looking for ways to make magazines for the AGM sten that are NOT mp40 style mags. Do any of you guys think you could help here :rofl: I realised that the real mags had no grooves

Get MP40 mags, fill in the grooves (and the holes in the collar) with epoxy putty, sand and paint!
Real STEN or MP40 mag bodies do not fit into the magwells.
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Waldiebeast
First Posting
First Posting

Postby Waldiebeast » Tue May 24, 2011 5:12 am

McVickers wrote:
Waldiebeast wrote:I have been looking for ways to make magazines for the AGM sten that are NOT mp40 style mags. Do any of you guys think you could help here :rofl: I realised that the real mags had no grooves

Get MP40 mags, fill in the grooves (and the holes in the collar) with epoxy putty, sand and paint!
Real STEN or MP40 mag bodies do not fit into the magwells.

Thankyou for your help, I will give it a go when I have the time
AGM sten mkII
ARES PPSh-41
Deact Mosin M38
fremsley
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby fremsley » Tue May 24, 2011 7:52 am

Interesting. I might have a go myself on a few.
I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Waldiebeast
First Posting
First Posting

Postby Waldiebeast » Tue May 24, 2011 9:10 am

fremsley wrote:Interesting. I might have a go myself on a few.

What gun do you have for your german kit (in your avatar picture). Just interested
AGM sten mkII
ARES PPSh-41
Deact Mosin M38
No1_sonuk
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby No1_sonuk » Tue May 24, 2011 11:37 am

Waldiebeast wrote:
fremsley wrote:Interesting. I might have a go myself on a few.

What gun do you have for your german kit (in your avatar picture). Just interested

Umm, I may be wrong (and this IS the wrong place t discuss it), but isn't that Spike Milligan in his avatar?
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Tue May 24, 2011 12:08 pm

Waldiebeast wrote:Thankyou for your help, I will give it a go when I have the time

No problem :)
I have tried to make some STEN mag' replicas, scaled down to fit the magwells out of steel box-section and sheet, but it was far too complicated and the results were only as good as the fillered plastic MP40 mags (plus, they were far too heavy, even if they were a realistic weight of a full real STEN mag).
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Waldiebeast
First Posting
First Posting

Postby Waldiebeast » Tue May 24, 2011 12:12 pm

McVickers wrote:
Waldiebeast wrote:Thankyou for your help, I will give it a go when I have the time

I have tried to make some STEN mag' replicas, scaled down to fit the magwells out of steel box-section and sheet, but it was far too complicated and the results were only as good as the fillered plastic MP40 mags (plus, they were far too heavy, even if they were a realistic weight of a full real STEN mag).

Yeah, i'll just do it the easy way you suggested. BTW, were the mags the King Arms ones that you used. A picture of the final product would be most appreciated :D
AGM sten mkII
ARES PPSh-41
Deact Mosin M38
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Tue May 24, 2011 12:16 pm

Waldiebeast wrote:
McVickers wrote:

Yeah, i'll just do it the easy way you suggested. BTW, were the mags the King Arms ones that you used. A picture of the final product would be most appreciated :D

Yes, I didn't want to ruin any of my nice metal MP40 mags (plus the filler/epoxy putty sticks to a well 'keyed' plastic surface better :good: ), and the plastic KA ones are cheap enough that I didn't mind experimenting with them. I'm off to Cambridge CAMRA beerfest tonight, but I'll try to put up pictures later on this week for you :good:

jo chambers
First Posting
First Posting

Postby jo chambers » Wed May 25, 2011 10:53 am

im sure i read somewhere that the sten was designed so that it could run with mp 40 mags tho in the field
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Wed May 25, 2011 12:44 pm

I think they used the same 9mm ammo, but I would be surprised if the mags fitted each other.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Waldiebeast
First Posting
First Posting

Postby Waldiebeast » Wed May 25, 2011 12:54 pm

jo chambers wrote:im sure i read somewhere that the sten was designed so that it could run with mp 40 mags tho in the field

Yep, that was the good thing, they could capture the kraut's mags and use em! However, I still want that issued sten gun look
AGM sten mkII
ARES PPSh-41
Deact Mosin M38
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed May 25, 2011 1:10 pm

Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

No1_sonuk
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby No1_sonuk » Wed May 25, 2011 1:28 pm

To some degree, it would make sense if the Sten could use MP40 mags, but not the other way around - It'd be good planning for a weapon intended to be dropped to resistance units.
What I don't understand is the significant difference in what they call "length", considering both weapons used the same round. Maybe that's one of the faults which gave the Sten its reputation.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed May 25, 2011 1:31 pm

I think the "length" is the length of the mag from front to back... There's a photo in one of my links that clearly shows the sten mag is "longer".

After looking about, there seem to be comments that the problem with misfeeding is because Mp40 and sten mags are "single feed", whereas tommy mags are "double feed"...
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”