K98 Springer Projects

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
Sgt.Heide
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Sgt.Heide » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:46 pm

It was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. Not really much margin for error, especially around the cut out for the bolt handle. I did all of my cutting with either a drill bit, a hole cutter or a dremel. I don't have a miller or a router, so it's all been done the hard way!

Best advice I can give is just go slowly! It's worth taking your time over it to get a good fit. I wanted my bolt handle to line up properly, so I had to compromise on how the body fits into the stock. In the end, I managed (or fluked!) to get the body to fit very tightly with only one bolt neeeded to hold it in place, so I can take the whole gun down in about 5 seconds with just 1 allen key but when it's put together, it's rock solid.
dieselmonkey
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby dieselmonkey » Mon Aug 06, 2007 1:52 pm

Sgt.Heide wrote:It was a bit of a nightmare to be honest. Not really much margin for error, especially around the cut out for the bolt handle. I did all of my cutting with either a drill bit, a hole cutter or a dremel. I don't have a miller or a router, so it's all been done the hard way!

Best advice I can give is just go slowly! It's worth taking your time over it to get a good fit. I wanted my bolt handle to line up properly, so I had to compromise on how the body fits into the stock. In the end, I managed (or fluked!) to get the body to fit very tightly with only one bolt neeeded to hold it in place, so I can take the whole gun down in about 5 seconds with just 1 allen key but when it's put together, it's rock solid.

i don't think mine will be able to be taken down easily, i've got the trigger mech and bolt fitting fine, but i've decided to machine a new barrel housing from scratch on the lathe/milling machine, to give it the lateral strength needed to bat it around in the field.

It'll mean that it should be able to take a bayonet too!
jeks539

Postby jeks539 » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:05 pm

sgt heide,
where did you get the stock from, tried googling for one but couldn't find it when i looked into doing similar project.

any help on your supplier appreciated

jeks
dieselmonkey
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby dieselmonkey » Mon Aug 06, 2007 4:31 pm

jeks539 wrote:sgt heide,
where did you get the stock from, tried googling for one but couldn't find it when I looked into doing similar project.

any help on your supplier appreciated

jeks

i'vde found a few on international ebay recently while i was looking for projects, in fact there's a laminated one on now:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/k98-laminated-sto ... 0155888234
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Mon Aug 06, 2007 7:14 pm

I got my stock a few months ago from a private sale on Ebay. It took quite a while to get a good one off ebay with the front bands present, perseverance was the key. The same goes for the "sundry" bits, like trigger guard and sights, which don't seem to come along too often. This guy has them for 100 euros and charges 20 euros for post http://www.thuringenmilitaria.com/weaponrelated.html

I'm STILL waiting for the front sight to turn up. I've now filled the little gaps I found here and there and added some milliput to the bolt handle to round it out a bit. Should be finished any day now and I'll post up some better photos then.

On a side note, I see Ebay are soon going to be banning the sale of certain firearm parts completely.
stubblehopper

Postby stubblehopper » Mon Aug 06, 2007 8:34 pm

Yup noticed the e-bay ban on weapons parts, dummy ammo, and a few other related items, it stems from a killing in the USA where someone had used gun parts bought on ebay, or something like that.
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:00 pm

The front sight has arrived! Not a lot to do now, just a bit more milliput, sanding a last bit of paint. Should be finished by this evening.
Old Un

Postby Old Un » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:19 pm

Nice one !

Post some good pics when you're done , I've stickied this as it's a cracking project and hopefully will inspire others to have a go . :D
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 2:52 pm

That is a beautifully executed conversion Sgt Heide, really nice work!

I like the fact that you have positioned the receiver so that the bolt handle is in its correct position which also makes the ejection port lineup well will the stock cut-out. The only downside I can see is that the trigger is further forward within the trigger guard. did you have to modify the trigger at all and does that cause any issues in use?

How did you deal with the magazine retention?
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:09 pm

The trigger was probably the biggest single problem I encountered. I had to extend the cutout in the trigger guard to fit the trigger in it, I also had to grind a bit off the sides of the trigger as well. It took ages to do but it was worth it to keep the bolt handle lined up properly. It is about 1/2 an inch too far forward but not really that noticeable compared to having the bolt handle 1/2 inch further back.

The magazine is just a tight fit, I went really slowly with the hollowing out where the mag goes and it fits really well. It's a bit of a bugger to get out but I have 30 rounds before having to change mags, so it's not a problem.

Just sitting about now, waiting for milliput to harden and for the wife to bring home some wet & dry paper!
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:42 pm

I agree, looks a lot better with the bolt in the correct position. what did you do with the rearmost receiver screw? did you fabricate an extention to the rear of the receiver?

Im very interested in the details as I am about to embark on a similar conversion except I am going to be using a JG-BAR10 VSR clone and a Marushin Kar98k Maxi.

I also figured that the trigger would be a little further forward than I would have liked, I was considering buying a K2 steel trigger which could then be heated and bent back to a better position. Looking at yours I think it will be fine as is.
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Aug 07, 2007 4:28 pm

I drilled another hole in front of the "real" hole in the stock, into which the collar and screw attached to the receiver just drop in. The whole body is held in place by one allen bolt. It's rock solid. I filled the gap at the rear of the stock with milliput. There is a slight gap but not much, hardly noticeable unless you look really closely.

Edit - Sight now added and 99% of filling done. The bolt handle isn't perfect but I'm happy with it. I may do a bit more dry brushing here and there but, to all intents and purposes, I've finished the conversion. Thanks for all of the positive comments and if I can do it, so can you!
other side...
close up of receiver...

I can take it to bits (once the paint has dried!) to show the various stages if anyone wants.
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Aug 07, 2007 8:22 pm

Now I have it zeroed too. I'm getting a 1/2 inch grouping with .43g bb's at 30 metres. I'll be conducting some tests tomorrow with both .25g, .29g and .3g to see which will work best at long and extreme ranges. Think I'll be using .43's at any urban games though.

Now, will the wife let me get a Major Koneg loadout?
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:57 pm

Kudos to you! very nice work. you have done a good job on rounding out the bolt handle too.

webby
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby webby » Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:29 am

Good job dude! Looks fantastic!

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”