K98 Springer Projects

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
Sgt.Heide
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Sgt.Heide » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:11 pm

Still tinkering here and there, Ive used some of the shavings (from where I ground the site rail) on the front end of the barrel to give it a "pitted" look, it's working better than I thought it would. Here are some pictures of the hollowed out stock and the barrel assembly as well.

underside, showing mag cutout

receiver, HOP & barrel

and finally, the "business" end

I don't think I'll do much more to it to be honest, I may get a front sight hood, I haven't decided yet.
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: K98 Springer almost done!

Postby Pete_59 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:07 pm

A very nice job well done 8)

Sgt.Heide wrote:I got lucky with my choice of outer barrel tube, my bayonet fits perfectly.

What tube did you use?
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:33 pm

You'll laugh when I tell you. I "found" it laying in the garage and thought "Hmm, that should fit my K98!". Unfortunately, its part of a 200 year old bed in one of the spare bedrooms. The wife wasn't very impressed when I cut up antique brass tube! For future reference, if I make another one, I'll just buy 18mm steel or aluminium tubing!

The outer barrel is quite complicated, at the tube diameter was too big for the inner barrel to sit without moving. My solution to this was to use cut down pegs from an IPK, which I then lightly hammered into the brass tube. The result is zero movement of the inner barrel when the gun is fired. I had more than my fair share of luck making this gun to be honest.
skitz

Postby skitz » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:45 pm

Looks pritty good , well done
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:06 pm

My Brother has cancelled wanting one of these, as he's just got married and hasn't got the money. This leaves me with most of the parts to make another one, barring the donor gun.

If anyone is interested in having one of these and is coming on the training day, have a play with mine first and see if you fancy one. I learned a lot from the first one and am certain that succesive ones will get better. The stock I have laying around is particularly nice.
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:35 pm

PM'd!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Barcelona Blom
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Barcelona Blom » Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:08 pm

Nice! I like the grain on the wood.
If its passed 9 there is a 95% chance im pissed.
crotem

Postby crotem » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:41 pm

Looks fantastic - i'm often amazed/envious by the custom work some people produce and this is no exception! If I had to get a Kar98 (which I certainly do!) then i'd prefer a spring or electric - this is currently a logical option.
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:03 pm

Thanks fellas. I made this for a few reasons really, first off is the cost of the Tanaka one and it's comparative scarceness, secondly because gas guns are too temperemental in extremes of weather and you have to buy gas for them! I also did it to see if I actually COULD do it, with basic tools and a bit of patience. I quit smoking not long ago, so I needed to occupy myself as well! I now have a reliable backup should my MP40 break, or a main weapon if I decide to sneak off and do a bit of sniping.
Barcelona Blom
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Barcelona Blom » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:34 pm

I wish i asked if i could of had a look at it on during the TD.
If its passed 9 there is a 95% chance im pissed.
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:41 pm

I'll be bringing mine and the one I've done for Steiner to Wotan. I imagine they will both be in regular use! You're more than welcome to have a look at my gun at any event you come to mate.

I've made a number of improvements to the "number 2" gun I've done for Steiner, making it more user friendly and even more solid than mine. I've really enjoyed making these guns.
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:05 am

What changes are you making to the second version Heide?

I have finally started work on my conversion so I am hungry for any info, tips and advise.
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:12 am

I've improved the way it all goes together. It takes a fair bit longer and needs a couple more tools to take it down but it is very solid and more "professional" looking. I'll take some photos of the guns side by side for comparison and post them up.

I've also added a real steel safety catch to my rifle now. Purely cosmetic but it looks good! Boshman, I have some K98 parts spare if you're after a rear or front sight.
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:47 am

I'm frothing at the mouth!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:00 am

Sgt.Heide wrote:I've also added a real steel safety catch to my rifle now. Purely cosmetic but it looks good! Boshman, I have some K98 parts spare if you're after a rear or front sight.

Thanks very much for the offer mate, I shouldnt need them as I am converting a Marushin 8mm so I should have everything I need. I am going to use the cocking handle and complete bolt end assembly on mine.

So far I have fitted the main reciever into the stock, I did some extensive re-profiling to the rear of the reciever so it fits the existing stock cutout rather than cut the stock to fit the receiver. I think its actually easier to file and remodel the receiver than it is to carve the stock.

Quick question, what tools did you use to cut the mag well? I cant decide what will be easiest / give the best finish, either drill, chisel file and sand or use the router attachment on my dremel.

I look forward to seeing your photos.
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”