K98 Springer Projects

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
Sgt.Heide
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:42 am

For the mag well, I used a hole cutter drill bit to get the initial hole and then used a sanding drum on my dremel to hollow it out to size. I've left the mag wells quite tight, so the mags won't drop out. This always leaves the option of making the cutout a little bigger with sandpaper if required.
Cutting down the reciever on the MP001 wasn't really an option because a springer needs the strength, so I envy you not having to hollow out the stock so much.

Here are a few piccies of mine and Steiners' gun side by side, so you can see the differences (and similarities!).

Undersides. My gun on the left. You can see how Steiners has a removable trigger guard (mine doesn't) and how his reciever is held by two bolts (mine held by one).

Bolt handles, my gun on top.

Right side of guns, Steiners' on the right.

Left side of guns, again, Steiners' on the right.

My outer barrel is basically a slip on fit with a cut down barrel spacer to hold it in place. With Steiners' gun, I have attached the outer barrel tube to the upper handguard of the rifle, so the whole thing simply slides off in one. This has the added advantage of always giving the correct outer barrel length and the inability of the outer barrel to twist, misaligning the front sight.
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:09 am

Very nice indeed!
I think a hole saw and dremel sanding sounds like a good option.

I was thinking weather I would need to add the forward reciever screw on mine, it does seem like a good idea to make it more solid.

I do hope the rear of the receiver on mine will be stong enough, I have only really removed the curved sides around the rear of the bolt and where the F is on the safety indicator. I am using a JG bar-10 so I dont know how different it is to the MP001. the rear piece is actually a seperate part which is held on by the rear scope mount screw. I will post some pics tonight if I get a chance.

I noticed on your first gun that the receiver sits very high in the stock where as your second it is quite a bit lower. is that down to differences in the stocks?.

The other nice thing with using the Marushin for the conversion is that the parts are either alloy or plastic so they are very easy to work with and modify. I bet shaping down the real-steel rear sight was a bit of a bitch?

your re-profiling of the scope mounts looks very nice btw, thats another little job to add to my list! :)
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:15 am

You're not mistaken that the reciever on mine sits higher. On the MP001, there is a screw which holds the two halves of the receiver together. This screw sits exactly on the stock strengthening bar (the bit between the two discs in the middle of the stock). On Steiners, I actually ground a channel in this bar, so the receiver would sit lower. The added bonus with this was it left more wood to play with in the front bolt for the reciever, so I got it flush with the stock, whereas on my gun, the bolt is slightly proud of the stock. Both work just as well, but Steiners' is a bit more "correct" looking.

The rear sight wasn't too bad. I cut off what I didn't need and the used araldite to fix it to the gun. The joins were covered with milliput, sanded and painted. I think having the right tools has helped enormously, as well as being able to improvise (my wife calls it bodging! What does she know?).
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:30 am

Sgt.Heide wrote:You're not mistaken that the reciever on mine sits higher. On the MP001, there is a screw which holds the two halves of the receiver together. This screw sits exactly on the stock strengthening bar (the bit between the two discs in the middle of the stock). On Steiners, I actually ground a channel in this bar, so the receiver would sit lower. The added bonus with this was it left more wood to play with in the front bolt for the reciever, so I got it flush with the stock, whereas on my gun, the bolt is slightly proud of the stock. Both work just as well, but Steiners' is a bit more "correct" looking.

Did that not affect the barrel alignment?
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:38 am

Not in the slightest. I used an extra tube inside the outer barrel which holds the inner barrel in place an absolute treat, with zero movement.
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:49 am

Are you fitting the complete rear of the bolt or just the safety lever on the new one?

Are you planning to do any internal upgrades to either or em. I was thinking of doing a "down-grade" option to get it down to 328fps so it could be used at Wotan and the like.

Helga Geerhart
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Helga Geerhart » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:52 am

Looks great someones going to be like a kid waiting for christmas waiting to get his grubby mits on it :lol: excellant job on both of them 8)
ImageImageImageImageImage Image Image
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:54 am

I've fitted the mock safety to the first gun. It's purely cosmetic and I just did it for the sake of tinkering to be honest.

Not going to bother with any internal tinkering, as the MP001 isn't a 100% VSR clone, so finding parts that fit is too much of a hassle. Besides, they shoot really well and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my belief. I won't be using it at Wotan anyway.
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:54 am

:D Co-incidentally, Wotan is only 10 days before my birthday - I will inform Frau Steiner what she is getting me! :wink:

P.S. Heide, you're a genius. 8)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:59 am

Thanks Steiner (and Helga). I've just been happy having the chance to play with all of my toys (tool collection) and mess with guns! I'm chuffed that people like the end result.
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue Sep 04, 2007 12:25 pm

Sgt.Heide wrote:I've fitted the mock safety to the first gun. It's purely cosmetic and I just did it for the sake of tinkering to be honest.

Not going to bother with any internal tinkering, as the MP001 isn't a 100% VSR clone, so finding parts that fit is too much of a hassle. Besides, they shoot really well and "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" is my belief. I won't be using it at Wotan anyway.

Oh yes, I didnt notice it the first time I looked at the pics :oops: I quite agree, doing this sort of thing is very satisfying.

I hope you are going to bring them to Wotan even though you not using them, I'm sure we would all like to admire and stroke them. :D

jeks539

Postby jeks539 » Tue Sep 04, 2007 2:46 pm

sgt heide,
well done sir , you have certainly started a bit of a 98k trend. my stock is on route, i shall be picking your brains should i get stuck, however, the info you've alreday posted i should get by. I've set my deadline for normandy. must have, must have, now, now, now!!!!
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:29 pm

Boshman wrote:I hope you are going to bring them to Wotan even though you not using them, I'm sure we would all like to admire and stroke them. :D

Oh all right then. :wink:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:40 pm

First time in my life I've ever been called a trend setter! It would be great to see more bolt actions at CiA events, as that what most German and British foot soldiers actually used. What we need now, is for the allies to ditch a few Thompsons and get some Enfields made.
webby

Postby webby » Tue Sep 04, 2007 3:44 pm

Honestly Guys! haha!

More likely that the US would have semi-auto rifles, if we master the conversion from M14s to M1s then we're laughing :)

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”