Anyone fancy making me an Owen gun?

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Anyone fancy making me an Owen gun?

Postby Russe11 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:45 am

I really want an Owen gun.
The chances of anyone making a commercial Owen gun AEG are approximately nil. It's an Australian weapon and Australia doesn't allow airsoft, so the market for it would be approximately...me.
At 1st, the weird shape is an intimidating prospect, but in actual fact, it's pretty much the same as a Sten with the trigger moved forward and the magwell rotated to be vertical.
I even found this site http://grabcad.com/l...gun-mark-1-1943 where someone has created CAD files. All I need now, is someone who can do a bit of metalwork and who knows their way around an airsoft gun.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Re: Anyone fancy making me an Owen gun?

Postby Chomley-Warner » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:33 am

There was one for sale on here for aaaaages, no one was interested!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
McVickers
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby McVickers » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:46 am

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:06 pm

I think the problem there, is it was based upon an AEP. As there's no PTO games, the main use would be at normal skirmishes, where I would want the sort of accuracy and range of a Sten. Although I would obviously use it for WW2 games too.
dadio

Postby dadio » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:47 pm

Well I finally started cutting metal today but before i go into that I'll give a quick overview of what's planned .
What we plan is to make as faithfully as possible a MK 1 Owen Gun , the basis of the working parts coming from an AGM Sten , the parts used will be the complete gearbox , modify'd hop unit ,barrel and the inner hop support also modify'd for receiving from the top , it's to be fed with mp40/sten magazines ,the outer part's are all to be fabricated from steel or wood as appropriate,once the design has progressed a little further the choice of battery will be made depending on the space at hand .
So what have i done so far , well initially i was planning on using an AK hop modify'd or a P90 hop but after stripping down the gun it clear that the original hop can be easily modify'd , that's what 'I've done today , by cutting a new aperture for the nub just forward of the feed tube and in the same axis the whole hop and support can be rotated 90 degrees to vertical ,the hop support is in the form of an alloy cylinder that the hop slides into , this cylinder has also been milled to allow space for the adjuster and a new hop arm milled out of plastic , the adjustment of the hop is still not designed but using the alen key from above may be difficult as it will be in the mag well and might need a very long alen key or a special tool , I've made tool's of this type before so it is the most likely option . As yet i still don't have the exact outer dimensions , there are some cad rendering's but i lack the skill to get the dimension's from a cad file :( ,the other option is to subscribe to a site that want's $25 a month ........ I'll keep looking , to an extent i can keep going for now as some dimension's will be dictated by the gearbox ,magazine etc .
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sat Nov 08, 2014 9:36 pm

Also made a sleeve that joins the gearbox and hop and ensures perfect alignment once fitted inside the gun.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all

ImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:48 pm

I have asked on the Diggers Living History forums, to see if anyone has one that can be measured. To a certain extent you can get away with just making it look about right as the chances of anyone having an actual Owen gun to compare it to are pretty slim in the UK.
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 10:14 am

If you can get the length of the main receiver tube ,barrel length and flash hider length the the rest can be pretty accurately guessed .to some extent the length of the main receiver tube has a minimum length by nesessity as it is the sum of the gearbox and hop assembly but my guess is it might be longer on the real gun ,just by looking at pictures ,any additional length we have will add to the flexibility of battery choice as its the space behind the top of the gearbox above the motor that will house the battery .for the time being I can continue as I can just leave the tube longer at the rear and cut to length once we have a better idea what it should be .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:21 pm

a few pictures detailing the hop conversion and gearbox support.
the main receiver tube is deliberately left long for now and i'll cut to length later when i have the correct dimensions , this means i can focus on the mag well and release catch once the metal for those arrives and the pistol grip's can be cut out and shaped .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:17 pm

Finished for the day now ,the last thing I did was cut the bottom of the main tube for fitting the gearbox ,it all fit's nice and snug ,next thing to do will be the mag well and catch .the. Gearbox does'nt protrude very far down under the main tube ,there's the possibility of a semi skeleton trigger housing without it looking too dreadfull but we'll have to see how it goes .the magazines are going to be reversed so the feed is toward the front ,after a little testing it seem's they feed better on an angle that way around for both the king arms and arm ones ,and having the magazine inclined slightly forward is a must in my view .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:16 pm

armoury

ImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:56 pm

Had a mess about with that solidworks web site. It is possible to view some of the models in 3D, rotate them, explode them and take measurements all within the browser.
Reciever tubing length: 355mm
Cocking handle slot length: 87mm, Cocking handle sticks out 22mm
Lower reciever length:227mm (not including the trigger guard or trigger)
Lower reciever max depth: 60mm
Barrel Length: 240mm of which 34mm is compensator and the front sight assembly is 42mm from the front
Grip height: 127mm front and 115mm rear (one by the trigger)
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:23 pm

Cool that covers just about everything I need ,thank's .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Nov 09, 2014 7:33 pm

Just measured the main tube ,I had deliberately left it long but I was only out by 25mm ,there would be ample space for lipo battery's or for a very small NiMH .
armoury

ImageImageImage
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:48 pm

Another top project! Glad your mad professor skills are back at it. I know what your saying for the lower receiver and trigger position but the only way round it would be to do som kind of extended trigger lever that way you can get the rest of the gearbox in the receiver and still be able to place the trigger pistol grip a bit further forward? And I know if anyone has the skills to do it.....
Top work as always mate. Just get it done, patent it and then advertise on any Australian airsoft forum and retire.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”