Bren and again and again

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
fremsley
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Re: Bren and again and again

Postby fremsley » Wed Dec 02, 2015 4:48 pm

OK.My brain and eyes are clearly not working. I can't see the difference in the pics? ....Also... Where's Wally?
I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby dadio » Wed Dec 02, 2015 6:05 pm

Its only a subtle difference ,I'll just do the one I like better ,its a little more complicated is all but I like it better .I'll be able to chat to you at St Vith and explain if you like .
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
fremsley
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby fremsley » Wed Dec 02, 2015 7:11 pm

Happy to go with your choice chief.

dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:00 pm

I got some more done this weekend after completely loosing motivation in December after both our cars broke down terminally :cry: ,so after doing quite a bit of milling the motor on the mill has started to make a bad noise :cry: i have another ordered but its not helping me get out of that bad funk mood , do you ever just feel like sitting on a big hill and watching the world go by for a few days .
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Jan 17, 2016 6:30 pm

The new motor for the lath/mill arrived last week and I installed it today ,a beast of a job that should have been easy ,the hinge pin should have just slid out but no such luck ,it was jammed in place so i had to dissasemble the whole drive and feed system so i could hammer the pin out ,instead of being a 45 min job it rolled into 3 hour's .
Anyway I've lost the will to do any work on the Bren's today after all that but at least the mill's back up and running so more soon .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Mon Jan 25, 2016 1:20 pm

some progress .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Jan 31, 2016 10:52 pm

Second piece is now in virtually same state as the first so the gas systems are nearly finished so on to the barrels soon .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:23 pm

Got quite a bit more done and the gas systems a virtually complete , 54 holes drilled and some really time consuming hand turning , i just could not work out how to put a tidy radius on the top because the [part is deeper at the bottom meaning it could only do a half rotation on the lath and i could not support it on a rotary table on the mill because its too long so i did it by hand rotating the lath one third of a turn to cut then back adjust the cut and repeat for over an hour ,I've got a left arm like Popeye :shock:
a before and after of the top radius
well i think its worth it and that's what counts ...
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:14 pm

Hi ,little update ,both the gas systems are now complete and one is partially cleaned up , so its time to move on to the next bit the barrels , first part is the flash hider cones and site bases and thats what we have here in the pictures , all ready to be fitted to the barrels ,all that's left to do is mill out the sights and weld them onto the cylindrical base section .the metal for the barrel's is on order and should get here mid week ,the barrel of the Bren is a mixture of different diameter's between 22 and 29mm so I've ordered 2 sections of tube , the first is 25.5mm outer diameter with a 3mm wall thickness so it can be turned down to 22mm ,23mm and 24.5mm diameter where needed ,the second section of tube i ordered is 28.5mm outer with a 2.5mm wall thickness that can be sleeved and welded over the thinner tube ,it will mean that one section that should be 29mm will only be 28.5mm but 0.5mm is barely going to be visible and i could not get another piece that was 29+ outer with the correct wall thickness to sleeve over tightly enough .Oh should mention its a full steel barrel.
armoury

ImageImageImage
Kendo
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Kendo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:52 pm

All fantastic work, mate, always love seeing your builds come together. :happyclap:

You should go into business!
dadio

Postby dadio » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:19 pm

I started work on the barrels over the weekend ,the barrels have a number of different diameters over their length and to make them out of one piece of metal would require a specialty ordered piece to be made with a very thick wall ,so I'm using two pieces of tube ,one will slave over the other where needed and be welded in place to give the correct diameter at the thickest parts ,the narrower tube has a 3mm wall thickness so I can reduce the diameter on the lath for the narrower diameters ,so far I have made the first section of 22mm that inserts into the flash hider and then there is a wider section that is above the gas block ,behind this section is a 23mm section that is also now complete .next weekend I should be finished with the reduced diameters and move onto the sleeved sections that go over for the wider bits .the breech ends will be made like the zb26 barrels so they are removable in the real steel way ,at the moment the airsoft barrel has to stay in place rather spoiling the effect but I'm hoping I can change that so the outer and inner barrels come off together .
[url]Image
[URL=http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/grandadio/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20160407_164903_zps3g2dwjly.jpg.html]Image
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:16 pm

I've just realised I've made a Bo Bo , the flash hiders I've made are for Mk2 Bren barrels and these are Mk1's , oh well back to the lath , just as well I was looking at barrels today ,I was looking at ways to get the classic chrome fromt barrel section finish and noticed the difference ,the front sight of a mk1 is a stork straight out of the barrel , not fitted on a ring arround the barrel like the mk2 ,oops !
Any way it leads to my next question for Simon and Chriss , do you want me to look into getting the barrels chromed ? I'd have to make sure they can get that dull brushed chrome finish rather having the barrels look like motorbike exhausts ,up to you guy's ,let me know .
armoury

ImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Sheesh ! I'm glad that's over , I just successfully modified the flash hiders , very nervous work as I had to hold a conical piece in a chuck that's not designed for it ,every pass of the cutter it could have spat the piece out ,ruining it and possibly me as well ,heh and I had to do it twice ,anyway I'm very pleased with the result .
I also finishes the smaller diameter cuts on the barrel as well ,I'll look at getting the sleeves for the larger diameter sections done tomorrow but my nerves are shot for now .ImageImage
armoury

ImageImageImage
fremsley
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby fremsley » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:19 pm

I'm happy to go with what you suggest chief.

dadio

Postby dadio » Sun May 22, 2016 4:01 pm

most of the detail work on the barrels is done , just the sights and gas adjuster block , all the wider sections on the barrels were finished last week ,lots of hand done concave curves and welding ,very labor intensive , today i just drew up some designs for the gas adjuster parts ,lots of measuring and head scratching ,its going to be much like my own Bren but with a few tweaks to improve it , this is rare for me but you get to see a grubby piece of paper with my scrawl on it , believe me i prefer making stuff to drawing it .
armoury

ImageImageImage

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”