Panzerschreck Project

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Panzerschreck Project

Postby TheChef » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:10 pm

I've been thinking for a while of building a Panzerschreck, but never got round to it, so when one came up for sale, I just had to have one :shock:
So now the project isn't building one, but modifying it to use at a game, I think there are probably 2 options, try and fit a mechanism in it so it can fire tag rounds, or insert a re-enforced sleeve so it can fire standard mortar rounds.

I think fitting a mechanism to fire tag rounds may be tricky, as it probably needs to be at the front (as I think its too long to fire one the full length). and tag rounds are normally loaded from the rear, linking up the trigger may be difficult too as this is mounted half way down.

Fitting a short capped steel sleeve down the front (padded to fit) might be an easier option and could be removed when not in use. I guess this just has to be strong enough to take the explosive force of the mortar round.

Has anyone ever done anything similar or can offer any thoughts or advice ?
German
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Panzerschreck Project

Postby cjw957 » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:23 pm

is this the epic one ? we just bougth a couple to try and convert to fire tag rounds etc and stut has as well :)

but leaving stut and tin to suss that out :)
Last edited by cjw957 on Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby dadio » Fri Oct 09, 2015 1:27 pm

There might be legal or h+s issues in using the mortar rounds horizontally ,we did it at one game in woodland and in retrospect it was a bad idea.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Tin
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Tin » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:22 pm

I'm inclined to agree about using the mortar rounds horizontally. As a site owner, I would probably not allow it.

But, if you want to sleeve a tube to fire the mortars, look at 40mm copper plumbing. You can get end caps that can be braized on. Makes things very simple. My advice is to keep the tube very short. Just a bit longer than the round itself. Enough to launch it in the right direction. But short enough to not cause problems.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dieselmonkey
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby dieselmonkey » Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:27 pm

TheChef wrote:I've been thinking for a while of building a Panzerschreck, but never got round to it, so when one came up for sale, I just had to have one :shock:
So now the project isn't building one, but modifying it to use at a game, I think there are probably 2 options, try and fit a mechanism in it so it can fire tag rounds, or insert a re-enforced sleeve so it can fire standard mortar rounds.

I think fitting a mechanism to fire tag rounds may be tricky, as it probably needs to be at the front (as I think its too long to fire one the full length). and tag rounds are normally loaded from the rear, linking up the trigger may be difficult too as this is mounted half way down.

Fitting a short capped steel sleeve down the front (padded to fit) might be an easier option and could be removed when not in use. I guess this just has to be strong enough to take the explosive force of the mortar round.

Has anyone ever done anything similar or can offer any thoughts or advice ?

It never got off the drawing board (beyond being fired out of a tube with a CO2 moscart), but at one point, I was going to use these in a 'safe' PIAT.

Sprayed up, and CO2 launched, they'd be spot on. fairly stable too, and they screech through the air. They'd be great for taking out objectives and vehicles.
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby TheChef » Fri Oct 09, 2015 9:09 pm

cjw957 wrote:is this the epic one ? we just bougth a couple to try and convert to fire tag rounds etc and stut has as well :) but leaving stut and tin to suss that out :)

Yes it is, I'll have to see how they get on :wink:
German
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby TheChef » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:52 am

Tin wrote:I'm inclined to agree about using the mortar rounds horizontally. As a site owner, I would probably not allow it.

In that case it'll have to be the tag/moscart route, I'll have to get my thinking cap on :roll:, let me know what you think when you get yours :good:
German
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby TheChef » Sat Oct 10, 2015 5:16 pm

After watching this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yc3fAC5vOI I also quite like the nerf idea :D
German
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Sat Oct 10, 2015 10:05 pm

Though, just a friendly note that it's technically illegal in the UK to fire any fin stabilised projectile out of a 'barrel'/tube...

Already covered 8 years ago: http://www.ww2airsoft.org.uk/php/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2387 See PD's posts.

...though I think (go check) it's okay off of a spigot/rod as seen on some Nerf guns - so the Piat idea would be okay, if so.
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

StevF99
Veteran
Veteran

Postby StevF99 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:16 am

On our PIAT we use the paintball marker Moscarts (CO2) and small nerf 'rocket' with a nylon rod in the back. Works great, reasonable weight but still spongey.
Steve

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

SnS SMLE, SnS No.4, ASG Sten gun, King Arms M1928A1, Projector Infantry Anti Tank, MkII 2" Mortar, Vickers .303
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby TheChef » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:15 pm

Okay so I've now come up with a plan, to fire tag/moscart rounds, the plan is to build a replica rocket which will hold the tag sabot, that fits inside the panzerschrek...
IMG-20151205-WA0001.jpg

The first phase will just involve firing it from the rear, for phase 2 I will attempt to link up the trigger mechanism.

I've done some test firing with the tag sabot firing down the aluminium tube, and the difference in velocity and trajectory is vast from just firing from the sabot, any of you projectile experts out there know why? Is it because its having to push the air down the tube?
German
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:55 pm

I'd guess that's why. When firing a mortar round that uses a sabot the o/d of the mortar tube is vast compared with the round. The mortar tube doesn't contribute to accuracy really, it is the sabot that does the launching. The mortar tube might as well be 6" long, if it wouldn't look ridiculous. So perhaps your aluminium tube could be much larger diameter or maybe you could load from the front with a blanking plate inside the tube, such that the round itself is only just behind the front rim?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby TheChef » Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:00 pm

Mmmmm, I might try plan B, I'd like it to load from the rear like the original, so I might try what would effectively be just the rear section of the "rocket" just long enough for the sabot, and to centre the firing down the panzerschrek barrel. I'll try mocking something up to try test firing to see how effective it is.
German
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby TheChef » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:50 am

Okay so I've now got a basic sabot holder...
WP_20160103_11_18_35_Pro.jpg

This is a friction fit into the rear of the schreck and holds the sabot parallel within the firing tube, it has a simple firing mechanism which is just a flap which when pressed pushes on the sabot firing pin.
German
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese
TheChef
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby TheChef » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:53 am

And fitted...
WP_20160103_11_37_09_Pro.jpg

WP_20160103_11_37_59_Pro.jpg

I'll see if I can get a video of it test firing.
German
Russian
ImageImageImage
British
ImageImageImageImage
Japanese

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”