M14 to M1 Garand

A place to discuss WW2 airsoft guns.
MCLMM
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Re: M14 to M1 Garand

Postby MCLMM » Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:24 pm

That's a really kind offer Andy, I may take you up on it. My original plan was to get the 3D prinrted parts and real stacking swivel/front sight with the intention of eventually getting the gas cylinder machined (using the 3D printed bits as a template). Either that or having the 3d parts printed in steel (but that would cost upwards of $200).

I've seen people use real M1 gas cylinders but they must be in the states...
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:49 pm

It’s easy to get carried away and spend money and time on something, I’ve done it a few times on projects and while I enjoy making these things sometimes I’ve spent way to much in the pursuit of exactness and accuracy, might as well just buy the made item from a shop.
I like to do things to a budget and near enough is good enough in my book, these guns are not works of art just implements to use in game. Sometimes they work out to be better items than the factories turn out, or just making something that the airsoft manufacturing companies don’t make. There’s nothing wrong with 3D printed parts, just doesn’t work out that cheap sometimes, and strength of said items can be an issue on stress parts.
I’ll only buy parts if they’re cheap or I can’t make them myself, so if I can help you out, I will, I’d like to see more guys having a go at conversions and scratch builds, brings out a different aspect to the game.
Andy
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:42 pm

Took this M14 as is, to a game yesterday, mainly to try distance and accuracy, remembering that the hop unit is “ from the box” as it were, the only work I’ve done is lower FPS.
At 339 FPS according to site chrono, it’s bang on accurate at 50 metres with .28’s going through, it will do 70 metres but fluctuates a bit some pellets maybe 65 metres not so accurate, target size was approx twice size of the one at 50 metres, which was a plastic builders tub/ trug type of affair.
So overall quite pleased with this, so might leave it alone when doing the rest of the conversion, really tempted to put maple leaf hop rubber and nub in, which worked really well on my short version, which would probably pass as a WW2 weapon anyway.
Attachments
image.jpg
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:28 pm

Finally got around to doing something on this, so checked length to cut to sling hanger, it’s going to be a little more difficult than I first thought, if I cut where I want to, it leaves the return spring butt end, ( for cocking bar) hanging out, my first look at this I thought it might run flush, no such luck! Now I can sleeve it out, block the end so it racks as usual, but this will be a bigger diameter than I wanted to use.
If I don’t cut it, the job will be real easy, but that means the front hand guard wood section will be about three and a half inch shorter than it should be. I don’t think I can live with that, a few small discrepancies when doing these conversions is ok, but it’s got to look somewhere close.
I think it’s scratch my bonce, and stroke the my beard time, a large coat of “looking at” is required.
Attachments
6176BDAE-8828-4ECF-B4E0-CF9EAE5CB308.jpeg
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:14 pm

Procrastination over, when in doubt, ........put the hacksaw to it!
Attachments
3187FB7D-36F3-4A92-919C-3452C06701B8.jpeg
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:06 pm

Steel tube as outer barrel, going in. Of course it’s coming out again to fit sleeving for inner barrel and the inner itself, just making sure it sits straight.
Attachments
65FA2613-2A76-4463-BECA-F03D75CA0FEE.jpeg
A8481D41-E745-45DC-9302-C4CEB86EDFCC.jpeg
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:41 am

I’ve done a bit more to this today, first chance I’ve had for a while, fitted barrel, hopefully hasn’t got to be removed again. Then made gas return tube, following along the lines of an original, the piece that goes into the stock is wider to accommodate the spring and return tube for the charge handle, so that still works.
Thought I might as well make a bayonet fit it properly, mainly because I can, but also a resounding “ yes!” To all those who’ll ask “ does a bayonet fit”. This could all be made from aluminium tube, or plastic and I believe it would still be a steady and firm job, seeing as most of it will be covered by the fore stock. In the pics you can see the c02 tube spacers, as I said before I use these quite a lot.
Got to find my measurements list for the front end, I’ve put it somewhere safe again, just wish I could remember where that was!
Andy
Attachments
00286D92-F9EA-4C1F-8061-ED2AE79ED838.jpeg
3B8C9DAA-D1BD-4309-8BED-90C6081F9A3A.jpeg
MCLMM
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby MCLMM » Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:01 pm

Looking good mate, keep up the good work!
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby dadio » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:31 pm

All looking good , the " safe place " is directly linked to the black hole down the back of the sofa , sort of like Schrödinger's cat , things may or may not exist there depending on who is looking and how many times they look for them , you all know its true :good:
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MCLMM
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby MCLMM » Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:56 am

Dadio, in my experience the black hole you speak of is in my wallet and it's more like Schrödinger's bank balance...

Andy, is your gas cylinder/front sight assembly measured off of a real one?
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:46 am

Found said list this morning, whilst looking for a spare soldering iron, and the list was exactly where I don’t remember putting it!
Still have access to the ics Garand I sold earlier this year, I work with the guy that bought it so no probs with checking details, I also search out photos on google and copy from them, there’s plenty out there.
The gas tube on real M1’s does rise up toward the barrel going forward, but a lot sooner than my effort, they rise immediately from where the sling band is, I’ve had to compromise a bit to make room for the slide / spring affair that works the charge handle. God only knows why the makers of these replicas do such elaborate nonsense for a piece that doesn’t do anything. I was thinking of scrapping the whole affair, and replacing it with something more simple, but that would take more time and effort, and this is a cheapo conversion .
It won’t be seen when the forward hand guard is made.......which is the next bit to do. Sorted the first top hand guard, and primer prepped the “gas” tube last night.
Attachments
DFA70758-EF28-42B9-9305-F79E63AC1BCD.jpeg
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:19 pm

Here’s my take on sheradising the metal work,, will probably apply some matt lacquer, also started on front hand guard, rather than make it from one piece, plus the fact I don’t think my woodwork routers go that deep, I’m trying a three part “U” shape, I’ve done this before on AK’s with some good results, using ply.......we’ll see what happens .......
Attachments
79350107-7849-4A07-ADCE-FFB471BE0ECE.jpeg
60E8DB46-F3C0-4522-8E3C-F3516FD76004.jpeg
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:35 pm

Did a bit more this evening, first plough down and shape up of wood, it’s come out quite good, but I got my orders from my “five foot fuhrer” of indoors land, that I must go ahead and attack the garden, as well as stack wood for the winter. So might not do anymore to this until next week.
Attachments
6578695B-D4AA-4A17-B419-AFDF74AF92FD.jpeg
EAFF6CF0-A55B-4E34-A4FE-0F5D8991CB2F.jpeg
30F72E5C-C443-4B0B-8BF9-18B571E2B757.jpeg
Lord Elpus
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Lord Elpus » Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:15 pm

1st staining on woodwork, 1st band made, there’s a bit more to do beneath the band, the 2nd half band bit is meant to clip onto the full band, so I’m going to have to make some sort of anchor plate to the plastic stock, otherwise the sling band is just hanging onto the front hand guard, which wouldn’t matter if I wasn’t going to use a sling, .....but I am.
So I’m going to attach it to the stock and “gas” tube which is already banded to the barrel, hopefully making it supportive to the sling.
Attachments
BF5F820D-C2FC-42D3-8681-4E78F15DFCFA.jpeg
dadio

Postby dadio » Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:51 am

That's not a bad colour match for the plasti-wood :good:
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “WW2 Airsoft Weapons”