Home Guard

A Comrades in Arms event, Hay on Wye
Joker
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Re: Home Guard

Postby Joker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:14 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/British-World-War ... 017wt_1026

Has anyone tried/used these ^ - are they any good, or are there better (reasonably priced and easy to get hold of) alternatives ?

If I went with a 'tin hat' instead of a tam (thinking of future event usage), I'd probably cover it in hessian (as I have some) and/or a net, so surface finish is not too vital. Also as they seem to be on offer, if they were too flexible, I'd considered sticking two together ..................... thoughts, please gents ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Terms & Conditions of Sales :
Payment by Paypal only > Cleared funds must be available when deal is agreed - no e-Cheques.
Possible Swaps/Parts-Exs (with regular forum members only) -
* British BD Trousers & Blouse, to fit 48"-50" chest, 40"+ waist, tall fitting/long leg
* British Gaiters/Anklets, not blanco'd, largest size available
McVickers
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby McVickers » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:27 pm

If I do make it to the game (which I am very much planning to do!), I will be bringing along two newly restored spare MkII helmets (painted in Service Brown - with 56cm/57cm liners) for people to use!
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:35 pm

If you are thinking of future usage then probably the 14 or 24 quids (if you have to stick two together) might be better spent or put towards the real thing. After all, you can re-sell the real thing, you will probably give or chuck away those plastic ones. Are they kids size?

As McVickers shows, players are VERY generous and you may not have to buy one anyway.

Also, if you are thinking of future use don't get a tam, a forage cap will get more use.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Zero Bravo

Postby Zero Bravo » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:36 pm

I've got one of those plastic tommy pots, brought 3 and went halves with a mate and flogged the spare. With a helmet net from a distance and scratched goggles they look fine :wink:
If I did Brit as my main loadout I'd have a genuine, and as stated, loaners for the game are the cheapest option, but it's not that bad. A bit of foam on the inside helps keep it on straight, there is no liner.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:05 pm

I have one as well... they're solid enough, have no liner... have the right shape and are reasonable colour...

I've never used the one I have... If someone wants it I'll bring it.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

McVickers

Postby McVickers » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:07 pm

Those plastic ones really aren't too bad as the moulding is spot on. As said, just make a makeshift liner, even add a genuine chin strap (cost: £5-£7) and a bit of a re-paint to make them very usable and realistic. They can be had for very little (£1-£3) at car boot sales or charity shops if your persistent/lucky. Even the White ones with the St Georges cross on the top are from the same mouldings, but the repaint in mandatory! :wink:
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Joker
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Joker » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:58 pm

McVickers wrote: ... Even the White ones with the St Georges cross on the top are from the same mouldings, but the repaint in mandatory! :wink:

Unless I portray Pvt Godfrey, I've got the knees for it ! :giggle:

Lots of good thoughts, and appreciated offers .................... :good:

Having checked again tonight, SoF have FS caps listed @£20 :shock: which seems cheap compared to most ? I'd been looking at the plastic 'tin' lids as a possible budget option but by the time that one has been made to look 'authentic' it could work out more then the new forage cap at that price ?
I do like the idea of a tam, but as CW says, the other options would realistically get more use in the future (hopefully). Are the plastic 'tommy' hats the same as would be found in a fancy dress shop etc then ? If they are, and I could pick one up cheaply from the local shop, then a FS cap AND helmet could be viable :happyswing:
Payment by Paypal only > Cleared funds must be available when deal is agreed - no e-Cheques.
* British BD Trousers & Blouse, to fit 48"-50" chest, 40"+ waist, tall fitting/long leg
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:07 am

Joker wrote:Are the plastic 'tommy' hats the same as would be found in a fancy dress shop etc then ? If they are, and I could pick one up cheaply from the local shop, then a FS cap AND helmet could be viable :happyswing:

They were produced by a company for the World Cup a couple of years back, and (as far as I know) havn't been in production since. The last world cup just gone, I saw loads of plastic WW2 German helmets (why?) made from white plastic with the red St Georges Cross on them for sale. Probably made by the same company. Never saw a single person wear one!

Joker
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Joker » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:06 pm

Nice pic of a HG training exercise, as per caption -

HomeGuard.Training.jpg

Caption on Getty Images :

circa 1941: Members of the Home Guard at a training camp learn how a Tommy gun is constructed.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:13 pm

I just received my Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders cap badge...

Well it has to be the largest cap badge I've ever had! For instance it's twice the size of a RE one.

I must admit I'd not noticed that it was so large in the photos, but now I come to look at them again I see it's absolutely monster size is quite clear!

Check out the photos:
http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/Dother ... wshire.htm
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Broadsword
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Broadsword » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:44 pm

Personally I was planning on a 100% civvy look. Pitchfork jokes asside, I can manage a perfectly reasonable Gillie/Gamekeeper outfit, and given we are in the "North" I was planning on ditching all traces of militaryness and donning naught but tweeds, a deerstalker and a hip flask of Talisker.
fremsley
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby fremsley » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:56 pm

ZB is right on the button - these helmes are fine - just need a liner.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Journeys-End-Worl ... 2303386d3b
I'm a hero with coward's legs.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Joker
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Joker » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:23 pm

fremsley wrote:ZB is right on the button - these helmes are fine - just need a liner.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Journeys-End-Worl ... 2303386d3b

Plastic tin lid FTW then by the seem of it :good:
Joker
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Joker » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:27 pm

Yith wrote:I just received my Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders cap badge...

Well it has to be the largest cap badge I've ever had! For instance it's twice the size of a RE one.

I must admit I'd not noticed that it was so large in the photos, but now I come to look at them again I see it's absolutely monster size is quite clear!

Check out the photos:
http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/Dother ... wshire.htm

Cracking link ! Now we know exactly what to aspire to :good:

That's not a cap badge, btw - it's an early ballistic shield !! :shock: :)
Zero Bravo

Postby Zero Bravo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:40 pm

That Helmet does a great job of keeping off raindrops and bbs :good:
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “The visit of Hauptmann Horn - 2nd April 2011”