Scenario

A WLADEK Organised Game, Tuddenham
Wladek
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Scenario

Postby Wladek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:31 pm

Scenario

Following the Success of operation Cobra, the American breakout form the boccage, the Allied forces in France find themselves with an opportunity to to encircle and destroy the German 7th Army. Whilst Patton's Third army drives north to Falaise it is the task of Canadian First Army to drive south and link up with them. The vanguard of this advance is the 1st Polish Armoured Division.

The Polish 1st Armoured soon outstrips the rest of the Canadian army, as they run into stiff opposition, and are ordered to take the town of Chambois, link up with the Americans from the south and stop any retreating German forces until relieved by the rest of the Canadian forces.

Approaching Chambois General Maczek, commanding Polish 1st Armoured, splits his division into three battle-groups. Realising he lacks the strength to stop the gap completely he sends one group to capture Chambois (cotaining the 10th Dragoons), and the remainder to take the high ground overlooking the roads out of 'the Pocket' known as Mt Ormel. Nicknamed, because of it's shape, Mazurka: the Mace.

As the pocket closed the 353rd Infantry Division has but one objective, escape. Suicidal charges and vain notions of possible victory are best left to the SS. With cunning, discipline and the skill of the German Soldat they will be able to prise open a gap big enough, and for long enough, to extradite the majority of their division to fight again another day.

The 10th Dragoons must move rapidly to secure the edge of Chambois and cut off the retreat of the German forces to their west. The Germans will not relinquish such an important area without a fight, but they are demoralised by defeats and lack the determination of the Polish soldier. Isolated from their supporting units, and with their American allies occupied to the south, it will be up to the infantryman to outfox their opponents in the shadow to 'The Mace'.

Further Basic Reading
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falaise_pocket
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hill_262
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tractable

Wladek

Re: Scenario

Postby Wladek » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:38 pm

thompy1993
Veteran
Veteran

Postby thompy1993 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:39 pm

I think i'll go ahead and start of with saying i'm in! German please, so long as heer Stug gunner will do.....
Man is too clever to survive without wisdom
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:07 pm

Not super relevant but here are some shots of the crossing at Moissy and the terrain around it. There are bits of Tuddenham which are a good match.
It's a good choice of venue as an analogue for Normandy.
Last edited by Steiner on Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: make pics viewable
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:47 am

Not at all Mr Poacher, I consider it definitely relevant. I left this Scenario section open so people could discuss the history further if they wish as that is part of the point with having 'scenarios and settings' for games I feel.

So post away all you wish.

Wladek

Postby Wladek » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:56 pm

Yes, also worth a read on that site is the translated combat report from Falaise. However, I am not convinced of the 'unblancoed webbing' bit. They were with an armoured division, but fighting as infantry. As one of the functions of Blanco is to make the webbing a camouflage-y colour to fight in I suspect this is wrong.

However if anyone knows more about this specific, or mechanised battalions in general do pipe up. (Of course unblancoed webbing if fine for us at the game, my question is motivated from curiosity) :D

Gunman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Gunman » Thu May 12, 2011 6:48 pm

Bloody excited about this weekend, do we have any standing orders Sah.

Sgt Spegniv Klimaszewski
Heer Schmidt
rifleman6925
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby rifleman6925 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:57 pm

Yep looking forward to this one aswell Josh, especially as I missed out on killing you at Jedburgh :rofl:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Gunman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Gunman » Thu May 12, 2011 7:10 pm

rifleman6925 wrote:Yep looking forward to this one aswell Josh, especially as I missed out on killing you at Jedburgh :rofl:

Im the same Ninja Engineer Pole with the will to biuld and blow up bridges, or walk the graces of patrol. No Stinking German is getting by me :whistle: .....you killed my dad!!!
Heer Schmidt
rifleman6925
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby rifleman6925 » Thu May 12, 2011 7:16 pm

Gunman wrote:
rifleman6925 wrote:Yep looking forward to this one aswell Josh, especially as I missed out on killing you at Jedburgh :rofl:

Im the same Ninja Engineer Pole with the will to biuld and blow up bridges, or walk the graces of patrol. No Stinking German is getting by me :whistle: .....you killed my dad!!!

:rofl:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “The Mace - 21st/22nd May 2011”