BedsnHerts
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Uniform Requirements

Postby BedsnHerts » Thu Nov 18, 2010 10:14 am

ORDER OF BATTLE:
Allies:
1st Bn. The Hertfordshire Regiment
225 Field Company, Royal Engineers (limited places)

Axis:
4th Fallschirmjäger Division
715th Infanterie Division

UNIFORMS:
British:
Wool battledress, denims or khaki drill. By 1944 many soldiers had adopted an “individual” style of dress that combined BD, KD, woolly jumpers, leather jerkins and the like.
MkII tin hats preferred. Berets or FS caps both acceptable. No Div. patches required.

German:
Any FJ or Heer infantry uniform is fine. Wool, Drillich, Tropical and Italian can all be mixed and matched.
If you only have SS gear it’s still fairly easy to adapt by covering up runes with smocks or splinter pattern Zelts. We’ll arrange a kit loan thread nearer to the event. No SS camo please.

BedsnHerts

Re: Uniform Requirements

Postby BedsnHerts » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:26 pm

There is very little about them on t'internet and not being a l33T Regiment there's not a lot written either.
As a TA unit they were deployed in coastal defence from '39 to '43 before being sent to Gibraltar as a garrison regiment and then to Italy on 29th July 1944 as part of the 66th Inf. Brigade with 2 Bn. Royal Scots. They moved through Cassino and Rome, ending up in Florence on 23rd August. On 2nd September they began the advance up "Arrow Route", steadily pushing the Germans back to Monte Calderare. On 7th January '45 they were relieved and shipped to Syria and Palestine.

The only pictures I have are ones of my Grandad, who was in the regiment until demob in 1946. The pics I have are undated but are probably when they were in Naples or Florence.

Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Thu Nov 18, 2010 8:25 pm

Angel wrote:The chaps in the British picture are signallers from the 6th Bn, Royal West Kent Regt on Castle Hill, near Cassino. Basis of my Brit-kit!

There will be specific roles available for signallers at this event if you fancy the challenge :good:

There will also be Funker roles available for the german players! More will be revealed soon! :)
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:47 pm

Sorry, but no - it is totally incompatible. Kit lendings have already been posted, if you really can't get any suitable kit in the five months until the event.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Zero Bravo

Postby Zero Bravo » Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:54 pm

CCCP XD wrote:would it be alright if i do come to be as a Russian liaison officer as that is the kit i am collecting if not that is alright

I'm in Bognor, at Ford Ranges and EAG Worthing, if I can help out with kit lending, pm me and if I can help I will :good:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
McVickers

Postby McVickers » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 am

BedsnHerts wrote:ORDER OF BATTLE:
Allies:
1st Bn. The Hertfordshire Regiment

The Hertfordshire regiment, really? But they were dissolved into the Bedfordshire regiment in 1919. Hence your own name 'Beds & Herts'. And the 1st Bn Beds and Herts were in India and Burma during WW2.
I'm Confuzzled.
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:53 am

Actually... it looks like they weren't

in 1919. The Bedfordshire Regiment had it's name changed to Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment. The Hertfordshire Regiment was nothing to do with this and as Martin says the 1st Battalion was at Gibraltar, Italy, Syria and Palestine during WWII. I have no idea what any other battalions from the regiment might have done, or even if they existed!

In 1961 the 1st Battalion Hertfordshire Regiment was amalgamated with the 5th Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire regiment (TA) to form "The Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment (TA)". The rest of the Bedfordshire and Hertfordshire Regiment was already in the "3rd East Anglian Regiment" by this time.

It's rather confusing, and VERY badly explained on wikipedia... (I've probably not helped much...;) )

These are the two cap badges...
Attachments
hertfordshirecapbadges.jpg
hertfordshirecapbadges.jpg (27.16 KiB) Viewed 2193 times
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:01 am

Well as Martins Grandfather was wounded on the Gothic Line, I'd say we are 100% sure! :good:

I'm sure Martin wont mind me posting these!
wound1.jpg

frd0001.jpg
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."

ImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:08 am

6 pairs silk stockings - nice personal touch there. Was he trading or were they to send home? No way of knowing but its things like this that that bring the period alive for me, not guns and tanks!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:11 am

Inventory of kit:

Wallet containing letters and photographs
"Soldier's Guide to Florence"
6 Pairs of silk stockings
3 handkerchiefs
1 bag containing nail scissors
Envelope containing photographs
1 watch
1 tobbaco pouch and pipe.

Wonderful! Now I need to get myself 6 pairs of silk stockings and a bag with some nail scissors in it to complete my impression! :)
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

McVickers

Postby McVickers » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:06 pm

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

BedsnHerts

Postby BedsnHerts » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:37 pm

Yith wrote:It's rather confusing, and VERY badly explained on wikipedia... (I've probably not helped much...;) )

The Herts Regt. and the Bedfs & Herts were separate but related. Many soldiers were swapped around between the two. 5959718 was a B&H number but Fred spent almost all his army career in the Hertfordshires. By the time he was demobed he was back in the B&H. He had both cap badges.

The 2nd Btn. B&H fought at Dunkirk, North Africa, Italy (Cassino) and Greece.
1st Btn. Herts (T.A.) were in Gibraltar, Italy (Gothic line), Syria and Palestine.
2nd Btn. Herts (T.A.) landed at GOLD beach on the 4th assault wave at D-Day and was then split up to reinforce other infantry units in Normandy
5th Btn. B&H (T.A.) were captured at Singapore and spent the rest of the war in Changi jail and other Japanese PoW camps

I have that Soldier's Guide to Florence somewhere but I haven't seen it for years. The silk stockings were never seen again :?
Barrie and Anne
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Barrie and Anne » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:51 pm

Sorry but someone had to ask.

Should webbing be unblancoed?

Does it matter?
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:44 pm

I don't think it matters, Barrie. Italy was such a mix of kit for both Allies and Axis forces. Personally, I will be wearing scrubbed webbing, but I'm sure some won't.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:41 pm

animal wrote:in warm weather what did FJ wear under there smocks was it the tan shirt or grey one . it may be a tad warm in june for a smock and a Fliegerbluse .what do you guys wear . and no stockings and sussy joke :rofl: and that means you to benz :rofl:

For Italy the tan luftwaffe tropical shirt is probably most appropriate but mouse grey rayon type would be fine and correct also.

The tropical shirts can be long or short sleeved.

ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Il Giogo Pass - 18th June 2011”