Opinions Of the game. (Dont post untill after event please)

An Oddball organised Kelly's Heroes game to be held at Drakelow Tunnels, near Kinver
richardschulze1944
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Re: Opinions Of the game. (Dont post untill after event ple

Postby richardschulze1944 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:40 pm

This was my first 'full on' WW2 game for a loooooong time, and boy did it remind me just how much I love it, and should really get off my ares [spelling mistake, intentiona!] and do more of it :wink:

It was a hoot. Thanks Oddie, and Tiny and Porta [you completely mad son of a biatch] for organising the whole thing, coping with all the shit, thinking on your feet and making the day what it was. Thanks, too, to everyone who attended and provided so much entertainment :good:

It was good to say hi and speak to a few people I have only communicated with via this forum lately, good as well to meet one or two folks I have never seen in the flesh before, like Oddball, and I finally got to meet and greet the famous Sherman tank. What a hoot that thing is and, as Chommers says, in the dark, and in the confines of the tunnels, it looked and sounded enormous. A bit like the 'fire breathing dragon' from Live and Let Die, or is it Dr. No? :?: :slap:

Like many others I thought the three sides played out very well, what with all the intrigue and double crosses going on. There was a bit of lull in the morning, granted, but it was dealt with effectively and the riotous opening sequence with the Allies charging, suicidally, towards our defensive stronghold was a real blast :happyclap: :happydance: For the Germans, the end of the day was similarly exhilarating as we staunchly defended our scenario-winning stash of gold and fought off all attempts to raid our gold store

The site is awesome, and challenging, to play in in roughly equal measure. I've played there a few times now and I find it quite tiring on the old eyes trying your damnedest to peer through darkness and gloom, and I agree with Tosca that the ammount of pyro let off didn't make life in that respect any easier. Felix is also right, though. He did give us all fair warning about not getting carried away :whistle: Nothing like a well placed thermobaric for putting a spring in your step, though eh? :happyclap:

So many highlights, so little time.....the tank, the opening carpet of brown, the last ditch defense of the gold store, that ruddy Ruskie gun and the big ear-splitting bangs, Porta's crazy cossack dancing commissar impersonation, Porta dying in a hail of 6mm plastic for the one hundredth time, dodging pyros lobbed with gusto by over zealous Yankees, riddling Snippy as he ran away from one of the two pyros I threw all day.....

Roll on the next game. I'm certainly going to make more of an effort to turn up to a few more, and I will definitely come to the next one organised by Oddballs. Thanks for a great day, guys! :happydance: :mexican:
oddball
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby oddball » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:00 pm

We do have an idea for next year that we are looking into involving a large building complex and something that looks like a French Chateau but we have a lot to sort out with this.

In a couple of years we may even go back to the Tunnels and do a re-work of this event as I know people that wanted to go but not able due to date clash, I have said I just don''t know how many would like to do it a second time with the bugs worked out. :?
Watch VidImage
Free speech is expensive these days!
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:19 pm

I think once you have a taste of the tunnels you are almost certain to want to go back.
I'd go to another WW2 game down there at the drop of a hat.
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 12:54 pm

would go no problem just tell me where and when to book :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
armourerdoug

Postby armourerdoug » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:32 pm

Glad it went so well ! Just gutted I couldn't be there! At least my jeep and 30 cal made it! :good:
Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:18 pm

armourerdoug wrote:Glad it went so well ! Just gutted I couldn't be there! At least my jeep and 30 cal made it! :good:

thanks for letting it come doug, and im gutted you couldnt make it
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:58 pm

it got so many kills as well :) thou shame a lot were american :rofl:
ImageImageImageImage
Aitch
First Posting
First Posting

Postby Aitch » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:58 pm

cjw957 wrote:it got so many kills as well :) thou shame a lot were american :rofl:

C'mon, He's a caring and sharing sorta LtCol, all sides were tasting the .30Cal equally I hope :roll:
And his instruction was...
"And Sir, if you see movement challenge it, an' if there is no reply you pull dis little lever here and she goes Dugga-dugga-dugga-dugga!"
:lol:
oddball

Postby oddball » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:46 pm

I have a great bit of video with 3 guys and that 30cal ,well I think it is funny but I am a big KH fan.
This video looks like it will be the first Airsoft movie, I am still waiting for more video to get to me.
Watch VidImage
armourerdoug

Postby armourerdoug » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:23 am

I'm lowing forward to seeing that!!
PD
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby PD » Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Taken a week to reply as been dreadfully busy and occupied with all sorts - just come back from a three day show doing pyro -

I did Boryzsyn - Loved it - So came to Anarchy because I love the tunnels........ And yep - there were snags on the evening prior - but we did find some nice cyder at a pub in the village down the road - Met up with a bunch of lovely people - some old faces - some new - And we adapted by kipping in Poacher's large van.... (thanks mate)

Morning arrived and into the tunnels - Aaaaaah - the smell.......... Didn't know the wheels had come off - mostly did what I was told, wandered off hunting a couple of times - got shot three times all day - made about four kills and a lot more folk nervous (euphemism for missed 'em!) but kills don't matter - the whole experience does.

The organisers worked VERY hard all day - They were patient, they thought on their feet (I did keep smiling then Tiny would disappear and then mysteriously our force would get a contact shortly after his return) They kept the day fluid and running.

I enjoyed stalking the tunnels - I enjoyed shooting someone in the pitch dark simply by working out his footfall (shot him in the legs of course) I enjoyed watching the atmospheric visuals as Germans stalked the tunnels with Stg44s just as they would have done in the Berlin U Bahn in 45....... I appreciated the spirit of the combatants and the efforts of the organisers. It was a good day -

I would play again next weekend (If I weren't at the Victory Show!) and I would like to see the game expanded possibly to a longer scenario - two days?????

Well done all - thank you.
ImageImageImage Image
LOOK! I ham now four meggle man!
A001
Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Mon Aug 29, 2011 8:24 pm

Ive also had a week to think about it, and as an organizer Ive PERSONALLY come to these conclusions

1. Dont rely on someones elses say so (regarding the site, and fall through of sleeping arrangements) we should have double checked the week before, and not taken things as a given (not that F+O could have really done anything, they only found out less than 24 hours before hand)

2. Dont try and run a overly complex plot. The wheels fell off a bit in the morning, we didnt have enough set up time, the tank was boxed in by cars from "nam softers", the co-ax mg wasnt mounted, american regen didnt get a lantern, radios were not switched on, we had to start the game, as i didnt want to have people waiting even longer than they had already. the american troops were bursting to get stuck in, and we couldnt hold them back, so its was a double attack, russains and americans, and it went quicker than planned.

3.Brief ALL TROOPS together, we briefed troops in 3 seperate groups, and i think some areas were missed by each of the commanders. (some confusion arose, both in the ranks, and between commanders) I lost half the russains on the drive to the gold store, and as i had to trigger all the pyro, i couldnt go back to get them. tiny may have signalled a fall back command a bit early, leaving germans frustrated. Americans were just too quick down the tunnels, (even ahead of the tank :lol: )

4.Medical issues- need to be sorted out IN DETAIL before the event, a lot of hard work and fooking about was needed behind the scenes.

5.For me personally.........Use the K.I.S.S method (KEEP.IT.SIMPLE.STUPID) next time keep all plans simple and clear, then let the players go out and do it. TRUST the airsoft players to get it done, dont try and puppy walk them. :slap: ( i did this in the afternoon, and it seemed to work very well)

6.MOST IMPORTANTLY ............. HAVE FUN. I forgot this in the morning and got stressed. In the afternoon, i started afresh and had an amazing game. :good:

7. The dedicated cameraman worked very well. he got hours of footage, and i dont think he got in the way too much, (though he got a full auto burst between the eyes just over his specs that gave him a nice bloody face effect :rofl: ) he took it in good sport, and loved doing it :good:

So in a nutshell, If oddball does another game, (and were planning to) , Ive learnt an awfull lot from my first event as a side commander. the trick now is to learn and make the next event even better :good:

Thanks to all the players for attending and making it a good event,and also for some great feedback. :good:
I hope you all can attend the next one. There will be frequent updates once we know whats what.

ive seen a preview of the video, and it really opened my eyes, some much went on that i didnt see, and i encourage everyone who played to watch it, it will explain what happend even if you didnt see it.
it will be posted soon, nigels just waiting on a lst bit of footage to come through :D

Thanks, and see you all soon................... I hope :whistle:
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Mon Aug 29, 2011 10:41 pm

aye it was a great day and think there was 7 or 8 of us that went together and if you said you were doing another - we would all be booking and more :)

no games go to plan - but shows how good you guys were every 1 had a cracking day :)

forgot to mention but camera guy was great got stuck in the action and seemed a realy nice guy :)

go on do another tunnels game :giggle:
ImageImageImageImage
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:40 pm

was just thinking germans had half the gold and the usa had the other half and the russians had the exit cut off

sounds like the next tunnels game /rematch lol :)
ImageImageImageImage
oddball

Postby oddball » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:33 am

cjw957 wrote:was just thinking germans had half the gold and the usa had the other half and the russians had the exit cut off

sounds like the next tunnels game /rematch lol :)

Yes it did work out quite balanced in the end the Russians had everyone boxed in and there should have been more of them.
If you want to PM me ideas about how you would change it please do as I may do it again one day.

Thanks for your footage for the video and all the photos taken by others.
Watch VidImage

Return to “Anarchy under the Eagle - 21st August 2011”