kit requirements

German private forum
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: kit requirements

Postby MartinR » Sun May 01, 2011 11:40 am

I usually take far too much, because that is the sort of person I am. I blame the scouts, "Be prepared". Every pocket and bag is bulging, and every bit of junk I've ever bought is hanging off my webbing.

What I shall probably take to Il Gigio is:

belt & Y straps
G43 ammo pouches (with a few bits stuffed in them)
holster & sidearm
breadbag (I usually keep by wallet, phone, car keys etc in here in a zip bag).
Water bottle
Mess tin, probably with esbit cooker, matches, coffee etc as well, expect there will be time for brew.
Gas mask bag with some spare ammo, a few tools, speedloader, pyros and grub. I usually take out a tray of flapjack, block of chocolate, some dried fruit, maybe some sandwiches :) Getting on for 2000 calories in that lot, which should be plenty.
As it is June and it will probably be hot, spare water at least 500ml along with what is in my water bottle plus some sort of isotonic energy drink, powerade or similar.

I'll bring my zelt and e-tool, but will see how hot it is likely to be before deciding whether to wear them in the game.

As an absolute minimum all you need is water, some sort of energy food - I'd really recommend flapack as it is sugar and slow release carbs, and some spare BBs, you might not even need those depending on what weapon you are taking. 200 rounds is quite a lot with a bolt action rifle. Last game I fired 30 rounds all day (with an MP40!).

Don't know what to do about my teeth yet, I'll take a scarf but it will probably be too hot to wear one, but hate gumshields. I slather like a werewolf and can't speak, which could be a bit of a problem for a Funker.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sun May 01, 2011 11:54 am

It's all down to personal choice. I too tend to wear the complete field kit, because I like to. No, it isn't practical, but that's what they wore, so I wear it. The FJ smock has loads of pocket space for bits n bobs, food, etc. The gasmask tin (if you get one) is ideal for storing water or BBs. As Marin said, you won't even need a fraction of a bottle of BBs, probably.

Nearer the time, we will post on the main game forum what we think you'll need to bring for the day. You will have some sort of base where you can store water and food if you don't want to carry it with you. However, the advice we will give is to have a nice big breakfast and brunch before the game starts. That way, you'll only need to have snacks and water during the day.

Generally, the sight lines are going to be long in this event, so you'd have to be really unlucky to take a burst in the face. Whenever I think I'm going to encounter enemy at close quarters, I just make sure my gun is at my cheek, and therefore, most of my face is covered.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Steinlager
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Steinlager » Sun May 01, 2011 12:02 pm

I havent decided whether to take my MP40 or K98 yet. If I take the rifle I'll probably take my pistol as well, my rifle fires at 350fps so I dont need a back up, but its always handy. However I wont be taking any mess tin or cooking equipment out with me. I'll carry spare energy drink in my gas mask tin, plus water in my canteen. Food and spare ammo usually fit happily in my bread bag, and any other bits and pieces in my pockets. If it looks like rain I'll take my zelt.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sun May 01, 2011 12:22 pm

Stu, obviously you can bring as many mags as you like, but remember the ammo limit is 200 - i.e. 4 lo-caps - so you can lighten your load straight away!

Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sun May 01, 2011 12:33 pm

Bear in mind that you won't be covering a huge amount of distance, especially as German. You will be defending fixed positions. Although you might be required to go on some ammo runs. :wink:

MartinR

Postby MartinR » Sun May 01, 2011 2:07 pm

I find MP40 pouches are ideal for a couple of Mark Vs, along with some spare mags. You'll only need 3-4 spare ones depending how much you fill them. The little tool pouch thingy is a good place to put your bandages as well.

As per the comments above, if you've had a decent breakfast you don't need tons of food, but you do need to watch your fluid levels. It is however really good fun setting up a brew in 'the field', and even more fun trying to light a camp fire in a soggy, freezing forest in February :)

Cheers
Martin
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Mon May 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Erm... it'll be easier to show you first hand. I'm sure we'll figure it out. :)

MartinR

Postby MartinR » Tue May 03, 2011 10:17 am

how do the poppers at the bottom of the smock do up?

As above, it is probably easier to show you, but it isn't too hard to figure out - essentially you are making it into the same config as the earlier step-in types with two leg holes.

There aren't many possible permutations of fastening the poppers, just try them in front of the mirror until it looks OK.

Cheers
Martin

Boshman
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Boshman » Tue May 03, 2011 11:46 am

And of course, after you have got them done up, the minute you squat down they will all pop undone again! :rofl:

Pretty much the only time you see them done up in photos is for parades or when actually jumping out of an Auntie Ju!

Some FJ did sew them up closed, obvously the original poppers wheren't that much better than the modern repro's :lol:
“I wanted to come to the Volga at a specific location at a specific city. By chance it carries the name of Stalin himself. So don’t think I marched there for this reason – it could carry another name – but because there is a very important goal... this goal I wanted to take – and you know – we are very modest, we have it already."
Adolf Hitler, November 1942

"Comrades, Red Army men, commanders and political workers, men and women guerrillas! It is on your perseverance, staunchness, fighting skill and readiness to discharge your duty to the country that the defeat of the German-fascist army and the liberation of the Soviet land from the Hitlerite invaders depend! We can and must clear the Soviet land of Hitlerite vermin."
Joseph Stalin, November 1942

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:21 am

Sometimes. Their rations would have included bread, fat, sausage, and whatever they could scrounge from the locals. Pizza? :wink: Martin knows more about this - I seem to recall talk of a giant crouton..!

Hänschen klein

Postby Hänschen klein » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:12 pm

As per Hauptmann Horn I will be baking a Authentic German Rye bread and brigiing it along wrapped in individual Wrappers along with some other goodies (Sweets Hartkeks etc) I will post some pics Tuesday. Just get some salami (always good to share around and others will no doubt share their stuff with you) I had a really surreal moment in Wales at Hauptmann Horn sitting in a sunny glade (No that was not the surreal bit sun in Wales) but sharing bread cheese and salami with others in a quiet time.

Any way animal when are you going to get time to eat?? Where you are positioned you are going to be in the firing line all day :rofl:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image ImageImage Image
Image Image Image Image Image
Zero Bravo

Postby Zero Bravo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Just been to Lidl and brought Rye bread & Salami for munching on, also Bratwurst for Friday night. Excelsior Beers 4 x 500ml for £2.49 so we've got a few shandys :wink:
What with all the bratties, salamis and a curry Sat night we should be able gas the enemy on Sunday :rofl:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
stof
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby stof » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:51 pm

Don't do what I did at Boryzon and left my neatly packed lunch in my tornister at our HQ, only to have it overrun by the russians before I could get back to it,and wasn't reunited wih my lunch until the end of the game :oops:

Hänschen klein

Postby Hänschen klein » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:08 pm

stof wrote:Don't do what I did at Boryzon and left my neatly packed lunch in my tornister at our HQ, only to have it overrun by the russians before I could get back to it,and wasn't reunited wih my lunch until the end of the game :oops:

Ah yes but we are not going to get over run Are We???? :rofl:
Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image ImageImage Image
Image Image Image Image Image
BedsnHerts

Postby BedsnHerts » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:23 pm

Germans have two types of rye bread. Black bread, sometimes called pumpernickel, comes in square thin-cut sliced loaves. Grey bread comes in a round or tin loaf and is closer to normal bread. Black bread doesn't hold up well to being knocked about so if you keep it in a bread bag you'll end up with a bagful of crumbs by lunchtime. They also ate a lot of Knackebrot, which seems to be a cross between ryvita and ships biscuit, and Dauerbrot which was a heavy and stodgy like malt loaf but didn't go stale.

Return to “Il Giogo Pass - German”