Next one ?

Announcements, Rules, and Booking for the Arnhem game at Phoenix Urban
Gadge
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Gadge » Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:54 pm

yes ive seen loads on it, the fact it was a walkover and that the entire garison surrendered without firing a shot doesnt really bode well for a scenario.

Its also a fight of infantry against emplacements, whatever else you cant get away form that

I agree it was an amazing operation but its just converting it to a days gaming...

I cant see it working.
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
slick63
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby slick63 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:29 pm

Gadge wrote:the fact it was a walkover and that the entire garison surrendered without firing a shot doesnt really bode well for a scenario.

I doubt if the FJ who took part would`ve called it a walkover. The element of surprise was gained because their was no declaration of war in place, coupled with the superbly flexible training of the FJ, the use of flamethrowers to keep the Belgium defenders from firing from the embrasures, a lot of whom were rendered incapable because of concussion caused by the shaped charges.
I can see your point that it would make a poor airsoft scenario as a lot of the initial objectives were achieved within about 60 minutes but the idea of underground bunker clearing is still doable.
I believe there is a site near Southampton based in an old cold war bunker so all the action takes place underground in a maze of tunnels, I can`t remember its name though.
Might be an idea for "assault on Hitlers bunker" with German defenders and Russian attackers. Not historically accurate but might be fun...question is who is going to masquerade as "Der Fuhrer". :lol:
Gliderrider
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Gliderrider » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:19 pm

[quote="Gadge"]its eben emael and it would make the shittest airsoft game in history

basically its 80 blokes attacking bunkers and casemates with shaped charges.

When its wargamed on tabletop you dont even need figures for the dutch cos there was no infantry vs infantry combat.

A good game has to have

1 ) roughly even sides
2 ) varied scenarios
3 ) players with appropriat e kit.

would you pay
ImageImageImageImage
Pete_59
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Pete_59 » Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:42 pm

slick63 wrote: I believe there is a site near Southampton based in an old cold war bunker so all the action takes place underground in a maze of tunnels, I can`t remember its name though.

I think the site you're thinking of is U.C.A.P. Airsoft;

http://www.ucapairsoft.co.uk/index.php?page=home

It does look interesting.
Gliderrider
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Gliderrider » Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:11 am

well surely that would be better as maginot line rather than Low countrys invasion? I still recon tobruk would make a great game, anybody else? Maybe eaven have a reverse of what happened at F&O and have the german jews attacking along with the allies. M47 Patton Anybody, As a tiger obviosly
ImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:06 am

Neill (and anyone else who's been there) - what would you think of Ground Zero as Italy?? Quite hilly and a lot of rhododendon bushes and all sorts of trees.

Either that, or we commandeer a hilltop monastery somewhere and re-enact Monte Cassino! :lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Diggah
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Diggah » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:09 am

Nah you dont need a monastery. You just need a pile of rubble on a hill :)
No longer involved in airsoft.
Ramsay00105
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Future Operations

Postby Ramsay00105 » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:11 am

If the Germans are really keen on some FJ action Crete seems the best option to develop a scenario. It can involve dispersed German troops trying to regroup. Allied troops from just about any of the Commonwealth nations defending key locations. The strategic aim would be control of an "airfield" which would allow the Germans to resupply/reinforce or the Allies to deny resupply and mop up an isolated parachute force.
I think we could start by dropping off German forces randomly around a site and then have a specific start time. This seems kinder than hanging them from trees to be shot at!! for the sake of realism.
15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Re: Future Operations

Postby Steiner » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:15 am

Ramsay00105 wrote:I think we could start by dropping off German forces randomly around a site and then have a specific start time. This seems kinder than hanging them from trees to be shot at!! for the sake of realism.
:lol:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Gliderrider
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Gliderrider » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:32 pm

I think it would be better to hang them. Oh sorry I should have finished reading the post :wink:
ImageImageImageImage

Return to “Arnhem - A Bridge Too Far - April 2007”