Hope today went well

Announcements, Rules, and Booking for the Arnhem game at Phoenix Urban
HeadShot
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby HeadShot » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:56 am

Although there were a couple of times I felt that hits weren't perhaps being taken I simply assumed that the long engagement distances and amount of stuff in the way meant that my shots weren't reaching.

I did have one occassion where I was well into enemy lines, shot someone who didn't know I was there who flinched, went around a corner then shot me back about 20 seconds later, but there may have been a medic present. I was frustratrated, sure, and I was annoyed that I'd got hit and verbalised that (without shouting cheat), but screaming out that someone is cheating is daft.

A quick quiet word with a marshall means they can check out any problems. That's the way to do it.

At one point in the day I was convinced that a bit of blind firing was going on through a tiny hole in a wall so I called a marshall over who check it out and could see the shooter's eyes and confirmed that it was fine, fair enough. In the end a peice of metal shoved over the hole prevented any more firing from there!

Players really should avoid pram/toy ejection tactics wherever possible and remember that it's just a game.

In the morning the Allies were frustrated for 3 hours whilst wave after wave of attacks were unsuccessful. The same happened to the Germans in the afternoon with the added annoyance of being tired, hot, bothered and thirsty, so it's inevitable that some tempers will fray.

I personally didn't witness any major aggression or upset so I think it really must have been just a couple of isolated incidents.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Kermit
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Kermit » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:26 am

Headshot makes a lot of very pertinent points, and i'll add a couple of mine to the list.

I ended up having a word with a couple of players yesterday regarding cheat calling. The first one - as HS points out so well - was simply down to "being tired, hot, bothered and thirsty". Tempers fray, and peoples patience seems to drop a level or two. The second, was that a player (who shall remain nameless!) had a rather unrealistic idea of the range of his gun. I could build a gun that would have hit the person he was shooting at, but it sure wouldn't have been anywhere near site-legal on the FPS front to get to that range ;)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

When we were a Kingdom it was run by a King
When we were an Empire it was run by an Empress
Now we're a country we're run by a..........
neillblume
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby neillblume » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:30 am

I think all of the above were fair points,Roll on more ww2 events. I want in no way to detract from the sheer amount of attention to detail or effort that went into planning this event. well done chomley yith gadge oldsweat kermit and everyone! Awesome! It was also fun to put faces to forum identities so to speak, for me that was a real highlight.

I had a fantastic day, overall very sportsmanlike and friendly - I think there were some frayed tempers in the afternoon due to tiredness and dehydration (OH YES!), but even then there were some isolated incidents of heroic sportsmanship. I found the morning to be utterly enjoyable, marred by the fact that we officially lost!, most of the buildings i went went into before the big push by the allies (well done btw!) had the flags turned over to the swastika, perhaps timers would have been a better option - To fight well for the whole morning and lose in the last 10 minutes was very demoralising and i think most of us thought WTF???!!!!. :)

Overall I thought the allied command and control was much better than ours and in the afternoon we basically got owned. Their fire and movement was excellent and very well co- ordinated I felt we germans were very disorganised at times - particularly in the afternoon. I shall be taking this up with the higher command!

Personally speaking i felt that the game highlighted my own deficiencies as an NCO, so i shall be brushing up on my tactical thinking! i also managed to live up to my reputation for getting my whole squad killed in the first 10 minutes! Sorry guys, i did warn you.. LOL

To the dutch reistance guys who shot me in the face full auto at the door to the bank from close range - naughty! and to the dutch guy who shot me in the face with the shotgun from very close range drawing copious amounts of blood - bloody good shot sir! but an apology would have been nice, or at least an expression of concern having narrowly missed my eye!. (dont know who you are or this would have ben a PM)

Lastly, Please guys if you have any criticisms do try to make them positive, these guys put in a huge amount of effort, and deserve our respect, and it cant be very rewarding to hear us lot whingeing. No airsoft game is going to be perfect, as much as we want it to be, and as people tire they lose concentration there always will be some incidents that are not really in the spirit of the game, so if you have any issues take them up with yith and co in a pm or if you want to post comments publically lets try to do it bearing in mind that we want to improve the quality of the experience and attract people to the game, not just have a whinge! sorry rant over...

:D

:lol: [/quote]
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Vorsprung durch Blitzkreig !
Speed, aggression and Hugo Boss
the innocent have nothing to fear......[img][img][/img][/img]
oddball

Postby oddball » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:56 am

It is just a game and there were 2 incidences of people not knowing they were hit by me then shooting me, but both times a solution was agreed upon. I think due to the thickness of much of the WW2 woollen kit, many shots are not felt by the wearer.
I tend to go for leg and lower body shots if I can which is not a problem with modern thin BDU, I was wearing thin modern BDU trousers and felt every hit in my legs as I am sure many of you that hit me there are pleased to note! :)
On the drive up there in my jeep I wished I had warn thicker trousers belive me.

All in all it was a great day and even if a bit of swearing takes place from time to time it's all forgiven 5 minutes later as it should be!You get this type of thing in all airsoft games it just shows you are into the game and set on completing your objectives.
Until science and engineering develops a perfect solution to this problem (which will probably be banned to us in the UK anyway) airsoft as it stands is the best option we have. Your only others being computer games or paint ball.

If marshals are used in a game we don't want to see yellow jerkins parading around in the videos and photographs it's even off-putting in the game play.

Many thanks to the organisers for making it a very entertaining day!

The Dutch contingent where brilliant and got their accents perfect great acting guys.: :shock:

I am glad you dropped the artillery idea from the last event as every time a marshal dropped a flash bang the enemy ran away before it could go off. In reality you would have no warning off a shell hit.

Also a big thank you to all the police I passed on the way home for just smiling and having the decency not to pull me up in the rain to look at my machine gun. Yes I even made a wrong turn and had to drive straight through darkest Manchester :oops:
Watch VidImage
Free speech is expensive these days!
Reaper

Postby Reaper » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:32 am

Well, I don't think I could make my comments as long as the previous ones, but that was one of the best days of gaming I have ever been a part of. Cheers to the organisers, the players, and my fellow Dutch brothers. :P

Good day!
Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:10 pm

Brillliant day

my temper frayed a couple of times , when i though hits didnt get there/wernt taken.

my policy was just to walk of to somewhere else, and pick up the game from there. showing my temper out loud wouldnt solve anything. (except when yith , fooked up my hand with his revolver after 3 helpings of grenade pie. : he was in cover , i just didnt see :wink: )

my severe hangover made me quite distant, and i was out of charicter for most of the day, and i didnt stop to talk at the end. i WAS FAR TO TIRED :cry:

THE DUTCH RESISTANCE............. AMAZING 10 out of 10 , they were all well in charicter and very funny to see, running through firefights with hands up.

the man shooting through the brick hole was me headshot, i did have eyes on target, and i admit it was a bit GAY, but rest assured when about 100 bbs came through the hole in 3 seconds, i breathed in tons of dust, and took aboust 20 hits to the face, most of which bounced from me gun, and lost some of the sting.

amazing day over all,and i learnt something ( i will NEVER get bladdered b4 a game again)

my top hat was shot to shit, and whoever shot at me with that 1500 fps rifle almost knocked my topper clean off, i dont really know the fps, but me and to other germans all heard the "crack" and the "ZIP" as the round past my head :lol:

Thanks to the orginzers, players and outside help, that all made a great day

Anthony aka Joseph Porta
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:21 pm

Well, what a day that was. Superb turnout, fantastic kit, and stunning to watch.
The Dutch played a blinder and kept me amused throughout the day. Caught the chemist with a speedloader full of ammo in his possession he insisted they were his new invention called Tic-Tacs, nice and minty. I wasn't so sure - they looked like ammo to me so he and two colleagues proceed to eat the BBs. Convincing enough so I let them through! Same chap (nice one Will) I watched walk past three Germans INTO the bank and emerge 30 seconds later. The Germans didn't bat a eyelid - I ran up and arrested him, asked him to lift his jumper at several gold bars tumbled to the floor!
Top marks to Webby for walking up the bridge approach swinging his umbrella unchallenged - has no-one watched the film?!
Stubblehopper's parade was amazing - the troops even did what they were told!
Kermits MG proved just how effective in can be for suppressing the enemy - must have cost him a fortune!

I'll just address the negatives now.
I'll apologise for the behaviour of one particular player who is no longer welcome at CiA events (I won't identify him but he was on the British side).
Cheat calling is unacceptable in any airsoft game and there was a lot of it on the German side in the afternoon. It demoralises and and escalates the problem.
I personally didn't see any cheating, and where I was told of specifics it was dealt with either by myself directly or by radio contact with others closer to the perceived problem.
There was a lot of hopelessly optimistic long range shooting and at times a lack of will to push forward and be content with stand-offs. The Hospital cannot be taken by firing at chaps in the windows - it has to be assaulted!
NCO's should have taken control of what men they can muster around them and plan and manoeuvre in an organised way. It seems that airsofters don't want to be told what to do and just go off and do their own thing which led to more of an open day feeling rather than an authentic WW2 event, ah well, perhaps folk just want to shoot shit and that's all.
The Brits had a really tough morning with wave after wave of determined attacks on the strongly held German front lines, yet they kept at it with a victorious final push before lunch. Conversely the Germans were up against it in the afternoon. By no means insurmountable but tough nonetheless. However, tiredness and dehydration took it's toll and Germans pretty much gave up yet a squad did get to the railway station by the end of the day only to be thwarted by the chav in the railings incident.
This was a tough day, chaps you weren't drinking enough - you should have got through two litres of water of water during the day.
Last edited by Chomley-Warner on Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:44 pm

Strangely my Dutch comrades seemed to love being told what to do. They were really into the spirit of it and we did some awesome fire and maneouvre. They seemed disappointed when I was content to let them do their own heroic thing!
Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:53 pm

i managed to get about 10-12 germans together for an assault in to the factory, 5 mins into the afternoon game, we were all shot down within 20m of enetering

after that no one wanted to go on one of my missions,

appologies to the "fallen 12", i got just as plastered as you guys :o

and congratulations to the brit para who threw a ball grenade 30m right in to the hole id jumped in to, (same factory) my ears were ringing

it flew at me , i ducked, then heard a fizzzzzzzz, as it rolled in to my hole :(
HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:00 pm

A Gregory wrote:i managed to get about 10-12 germans together for an assault in to the factory, 5 mins into the afternoon game, we were all shot down within 20m of enetering :(

I think I've just seen the photographic evidence of that charge!
Gadge

Postby Gadge » Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:35 pm

It took most the morning for the brits to get into following ncos and relaising that in ones and twos they would achieve nothing and in sections of eight to ten they took objectives.

I think also i hammered inot the allied troops the importance of objective markers over kills.... made a big difference in the morning as our patrols were to take possession of the markers, not really to kill enemy troops.
ImageImage

"I think we are in rats' alley - Where the dead men lost their bones."
goblin

great day

Postby goblin » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:22 pm

Just a quick note to say thanks for a great day, havn't been airsofting for about a year and it was a welcome entry back in to it! Must say there was less hit dodging than at the usual games and its true that its hard to feel hits in full kit, especially when your legging it! On the whole everyone was realy friendly, even the scary ss!! :shock:
stubblehopper

Postby stubblehopper » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:24 pm

What a fantastic day, my theighs are still burning with all the lactic acid from all that bending and squatting and stuff. There were a couple of times, when I looked at what I was doing, either sitting in a trench or hiding behind some rubble, took some time out and surveyed my surroundings and looked at the blokes I was with and we could have been back in a street fight in 1944. At one point, in the afternoon I took out a patrol into no mans' land, of five Hohenstaufen and one Das Reich bloke on a wide flanking movement. We were all spaced about 4 or 5 metres apart, and every man was correctly gunned up and kitted out, as I turned to give a hand signal, they looked the dogs bollocks, sweating their nutts off in their gear, mess tins and gasmask containers clanking away, we could have been transported back in time. The illusion didn't last long and was quickly shattered by a Brit para sniper and I got everyone slaughtered in the open, rather rapidly, sorry to the team, Andy, Phil, Del, Paul and the Das Reich bloke. but hey! we looked the part, briefly. I think one of the best parts for me was when myself and frontschwein got trapped in a large darkened factory building behind the Brit lines, they quickly surrounded us and started to close in, I think we got seven of them before they managed to take us out, that was an experiance shooting at fleeting shadows in the semi darkness, running out of ammo, I think the Brits enjoyed stalking us just as much, as we enjoyed being stalked, hmmmmm, sounds a bit pervy that!
H3b

Postby H3b » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Many Thanks to all of the organisers for a really enjoyable event, one i thoroughly enjoyed. It started with a bang quite literally as the first firework to start the days play exploded at ground level instead of shooting in the air and the thrilling events went from there. Thanks to the Germans for managing to beat my long standing personal record for getting shot in the bum, it was a quite a pain in the arse (excuse the pun).
It was great to see so many people making the effort to dress and act the part and well done to Webby for re-enacting the umbrella scene quite skillfully, wish i was there to have taken pics of that bit!

thanks to Ben, G and Major for helping me out when my body decided to collapse from heat exhaustion despite my many attempts at being stubborn to just get up and walk back to the safe zone at my own pace...:P

also, shame about the end of the game which was all too soon though i didnt exactly complain about having to hold the kid's head still, especially when the firemen turned up :lol:

finally it was a pleasure to meet a handful of new people from around the country, some friends i hope to see at another CiA game in the not too distant future.

xxx
webby

Postby webby » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:24 pm

Awesome Awesome day! Without running the risk of repeating what every1 else has said, I had a thoroughly good day!

Thanks to all of the organisers, I know how much you guys put into these events and it really does show, details even down to the drills (especially the german 1 (even though the back rank didnt seem to know whether to step forwards or backwards, prolly because the lack of fluently german speaking members of the team :lol: ))) < think thats all my open brackets closed.

In a nutshell, cheating = didnt see any personally, cheat calling = it sucks cahoonas but admins have taken precautions to take out the worst offenders, and overkill = I can understand people getting carried away, finger down on trigger for too long, but then again, airsoft is airsoft, you're bound to get hit, and unfortunately quite often where it hurts! Took the chaps at work today about 7 seconds to comment on the 2 huge red marks on my face from where I got sniped from bang distance, but hey, 1 for the story book! :)

Best part of the day for me was the original drop, HQ assembled and the rest of the staffs and 2 para made a perimeter, looked awesome well done guys! As we ran towards the hotel we just came under a hail from harrassing sniper fire!!

Well done to the Germans too, very impressed with all the effort people have made to get really good looking kit together, and like Yith said, seeing the sea of Maroon Berets during the safety brief was quite something!

Roll on Churchills Revenge! :)

Return to “Arnhem - A Bridge Too Far - April 2007”