Photos and reports

Comrades in Arms event held at Close Action's Weekley Hall Wood site, near Kettering
pvtjohnny
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Photos and reports

Postby pvtjohnny » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:34 pm

No other shots Pete? Thought I saw you snapping away ontop of the ridge that we so successfully ridded of dirty hun!?
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Joshua Rose
First Posting
First Posting

Postby Joshua Rose » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:36 pm

pvtjohnny wrote:No other shots Pete? Thought I saw you snapping away ontop of the ridge that we so successfully ridded of dirty hun!?

...and some during the briefing...
ImageImageImage

"I was fabulous, and it was a bloody good laugh."
Sgt.Heide
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby Sgt.Heide » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:42 pm

Yes John, got a few others, which I have had to crop, as the camera was set to 5 megapixels at the time! :slap:

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG
4.JPG (47.24 KiB) Viewed 879 times

5.JPG

6.JPG

7.JPG

9.JPG

battle.JPG

Claude.JPG

Germans.JPG

More Germans.JPG

Start.JPG

Yanks.JPG

Stu.JPG

Tea break.JPG

teabreak2.JPG
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!
Joshua Rose
First Posting
First Posting

Postby Joshua Rose » Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:00 pm

Ah-ha, finally...

...one of us scruffy yanks, getting (very begrudgingly) into a "sort of" parade line!

:happyclap:
ImageImageImage

"I was fabulous, and it was a bloody good laugh."
Mattywheels
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Mattywheels » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:34 pm

Just a few from me:

ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Old Un

Postby Old Un » Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:32 pm

Broadsword wrote:Did anyone with a real camera (Pete?) get a decent shot of the British Airborne after the action ? The ones off Rolands iPhone are a little shaky. Nice and grainy with authenticity, but a better version would be appreciated.

yes ..a real real camera ! ~Just awaiting film development this week so stay tuned . no garuntees however as it was very dark in the woods.
cjw957
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby cjw957 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:28 pm

Had fun with you wanks lol and you got some good kills with the m3 made me want one even more :( so added to my santas list for me to buy me :) by the time i got home that night had another set of tramadol and double whopper and felt a lot better :)

chris :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
rifleman6925
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby rifleman6925 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:09 pm

Once again a very enjoyable event organised by the CIA team, thanks again :good: . Thanks go out to the German side who held out to the last man on what was a difficult task in keeping the Allies out of our lines. A few were wondering how we could be pushed back time and again, well it's simple, we defended in line with open flanks and the Allies attacked in groups at the line breaching it easily and looping around our flank. Once in the German rear we were fighting the Allies on more than one front. That was pretty much the order of the day and an enjoyable day it was.
A big well done goes to the Allies, you worked hard and it paid off, you were led well and followed your orders, you made us Germans fight hard :good: .

A special congratulations go to PteJohnny who earned a field promotion to Lcpl :happyclap: , you now need to change your forum name :giggle: . Also the WANKS, you had me in tears at the social, cheers. :top banana:
Attachments
Volturno Affair battle plan.jpg
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
HeadShot

Photos and reports

Postby HeadShot » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:40 am

Nice diagram! For the first hour the US were probing the line and collecting intel. Our scouts made recces along the length of the north valley and ascertained the strength and breadth of the German defensive positions.

At the far end the line was protected by several snipers and very little cover, so the decision was made to push on the extreme right flank of the Germans where cover was better and mortars could be put in range to deploy smoke and put fire in on the bunker positions.
rifleman6925
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby rifleman6925 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:37 am

HeadShot wrote:Nice diagram! For the first hour the US were probing the line and collecting intel. Our scouts made recces along the length of the north valley and ascertained the strength and breadth of the German defensive positions.

At the far end the line was protected by several snipers and very little cover, so the decision was made to push on the extreme right flank of the Germans where cover was better and mortars could be put in range to deploy smoke and put fire in on the bunker positions.

For our 1st hour, our left (SS) were sniping and fending off small probing attacks from the British. Our centre was quiet. Our right (Heer) were forward of our line with the FJ harrying the US recce patrols. During this period I was linking between the left and right gathering info and ensuring all troops were informed of the current situation. Eventually what seemed like another probing attack on our left from the British turned out to be a full assault with support from US troops aiming at our centre. The SS gave a good account of themselves pushing the British back several times but eventually I was taking casualties thinning our position and when I noticed a squad of British looping our left flank I begrudgingly ordered the remaining SS to retreat to the HQ and defend it to the death. And that we did :giggle:
Last edited by rifleman6925 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
macscrooge
First Posting
First Posting

Postby macscrooge » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:26 am

Great diagram! I was the extreme right wing (geographically, not politically) of the German line and had a very quiet time for the first hour or so. When my section was recalled to defend the HQ we ran straight into the US attack and were quickly overrun. Bugger. On the plus side, this was swiftly followed by another ride in 'Claude'.
Sgt.Heide

Postby Sgt.Heide » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:45 pm

The main British assault would have come sooner but, seperated from the yanks, we lacked the manpower to do anything other than probe and hold. We were also under accurate mortar fire and some harrassing rifle fire and flanking probes from the Germans. Once the US infantry arrived at our rear position, it freed up the men I needed to move forward to mount a full assault on the previously identified German right flank. We took heavy casualties, so, fair play to the German defenders. We took the initial position while I was actually at the casualty clearing station! Once we had gained a foothold on the heights, we shook out into extended line and rolled up the German positions which were holding up the yanks. Ironically, we took more casualties from US friendly fire than we did from the Germans in mounting this assault! This set a pattern for the rest of the day, small probing patrols to make contact, followed by a general assault, some friendly fire incidents and German diehard rearguard actions. Great fun!

When I want your opinion - I'll tell you what it is!
pvtjohnny
Veteran
Veteran

Postby pvtjohnny » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:35 pm

I can confirm that! After bumping the krauts on the left of their line we dug in in a defensive line at the base of the ridge! Harrassing fire and very accurate motar fire (thank god it was smoke) we were there some time. Probes led by Sgt Heide and Corp Stu assertained the strength of their line which appeared well dug in along a tree line. With little or no cover in front! The order was issued after the U.S reinforced our position to put in the attack which was on a broad front. I was leading a section to the extreme left of the German line! The attack up hill was brutal with heavy casualties being inflicted by the dirty hun, especially to the centre of our advance. Nearing the crest of the ridge we got the break that allowed us to breach the defences. The poor Jerry who had us in his sights had his mag drop out allowing me to kill him and get to cover on the ridge line! The section was close behind although whittled down to 4 men. McVickers took out the next enemy which had been flushed out by grenades, nice shooting! Enemy moving up to reinforce the line were quickly dispatched and we were in the tree line! The yanks and other brits kept the pressure on and the enemy pinned and stretched out. Unable to get troops into our way and with our ranks being increased with more men there was only one outcome! It just goes to show how one tiny factor (the dropped mag) can change the battle!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
johno
First Posting
First Posting

Postby johno » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:49 pm

i was one of the ss men in the tree line as you broke in. i took fire from the left and right and saw about 6 of you i must have fired at least 150 rounds from my mp 40 before i was hit for the secound time the first time as i pulled back up into the trees a quick bandage to my leg from matt and then the onslaught a great day and my first but not last event,
ImageImage
macscrooge
First Posting
First Posting

Postby macscrooge » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:42 pm

I have now posted some of the photos we've already seen (and a few others) over three posts on my blog at http://megablitzandmore.blogspot.com/

'Claude' is proving very popular - I think we need more photos of him!

Return to “The Volturno Affair - 15th October 2011”