Kit and Weapons

Army Group South event to be held at Xsite, Bucks.
BedsnHerts
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Kit and Weapons

Postby BedsnHerts » Wed Sep 14, 2011 1:58 pm

Army Group South makes a big effort to create an immersive WWII experience and we try to get players to look like they are part of a cohesive unit. We have found that the easiest and most effective way to do this is to have a uniformity of headwear. All Landsers should wear Stahlhelm for this event and all Frontoviks should wear Soviet M40 style lids (or postwar variants).

Obviously we don’t expect you to fork out hundreds of pounds on extra kit just for our games. If you don’t have suitable headwear then we will make every effort to find loaner kit for you provided you let us know good ‘n’ early. We will also post the customary Kit Lend thread and will advise on acceptable “cheats” that work for a Stalingrad scenario – for example wearing a greatcoat with a scarf or toque means you can happily wear your SS tunic underneath.
The battlefield of Stalingrad had plenty of dead to rob so certain items of enemy uniform and webbing can also be worn, although care needs to be taken if you don’t want to be shot by your own side.

All the usual WW2 weapons are acceptable but try to stick to those that saw service on the Eastern Front. An MP44 will look as out of place as an AK47 so these should only be used at a push. Please ask before turning up with something exotic as we will probably be able to lend you a more suitable weapon.

There will be the usual limit of 330fps for AEGs & pistols and 370fps for deployed support weapons. Single shot rifles are OK up to 500fps but only if you want to play a sniper role for the entire game and can accurately measure MEDs. Most of the site is CQB and a sub-350 battle rifle will serve you much better.
Wladek

Re: Kit and Weapons

Postby Wladek » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:20 pm

BedsnHerts wrote: all Frontoviks should wear Pilotka caps.

(arm stretching up as high as it can go)

can we wear helmets and Ushankas, not the silly OTT officery ones, if we have pwoppa ones? Because it might be really cold.

Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:41 pm

Yes Ushankas would be a common sight from October onwards and helmets were meant to be worn in combat, even if the order was often ignored.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
BedsnHerts

Postby BedsnHerts » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:46 pm

Wladek wrote:
BedsnHerts wrote: all Frontoviks should wear Pilotka caps.

(arm stretching up as high as it can go)

can we wear helmets and Ushankas, not the silly OTT officery ones, if we have pwoppa ones? Because it might be really cold.

Only if I can get hold of enough for everyone. Having some in caps, some in helmets and some in Ushankas spoils the uniformity that we're after. Also, to quote something that I read (or maybe made up):
"We are an army, not a circus" :good:
Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:56 pm

Ushankas might be difficult but helmets might be do-able. The Red Army post 1941 wasn't known for its uniformity in the front line though; it was a fighting army, not a parade ground army.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:59 pm

Czech helmets can be picked up super cheap, a fiver each is the correct price. I have a spare one now that I have a proper soviet one to replace it.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:02 pm

Yes its probably easier to pick up a Czech helmet these days than it is a decent sized original Pilotka.
BedsnHerts

Postby BedsnHerts » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:07 pm

Yith wrote:Czech helmets can be picked up super cheap, a fiver each is the correct price. I have a spare one now that I have a proper soviet one to replace it.

Are the liners adjustable on these or fixed?

If they are easy to get hold of or borrow then I'm happy with having everyone in helmets, providing it's EVERYONE. The Brits at Il Giogio looked blimmin' brilliant because everyone was in a MKII, even though there was a huge variation in what they were wearing from the neck down.
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:18 pm

Yeah, but brits should be relatively uniform. Soviets not so much. A mix of pilotkas and helmets would look good. And a proper soviet helmet should be worn over a pilotka anyway.

The liners on czech helmets are adjustable and even if they are not supposed to go to a certain size they can be persuaded to. Mine shouldn't really be at 7 3/4", but that's what it's set to at the moment.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

MartinR

Postby MartinR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:19 pm

I would certainly rather wear my helmet as well, particularly in an urban site.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:23 pm

id be using my helmet if i came , that steel work looks hard :shock:
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison
BedsnHerts

Postby BedsnHerts » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:31 pm

Yith wrote:Yeah, but brits should be relatively uniform. Soviets not so much

The Soviets will have a fairly wide range of clobber to choose from, including the later M43 stuff. Having everyone in the same headgear will give the impression of a single unit, which is what we're after. Initial post now updated.
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:46 pm

ah.

Don't have 'elmets. :(

BedsnHerts

Postby BedsnHerts » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:48 pm

Just to re-iterate:

We don't expect people to go out and buy a helmet specifically for this event. If you don't have one then let me know and we will find you one to borrow :D

That goes for Krauts and Ivans alike. AGS have more lids than Underwood. We also respond to email :giggle:
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Wed Sep 14, 2011 3:49 pm

BedsnHerts wrote:Just to re-iterate:

We don't expect people to go out and buy a helmet specifically for this event. If you don't have one then let me know and we will find you one to borrow :D

Ah ha. :D

Return to “Stalingrad: City of Fire - Event cancelled”