How was it for you?

A Doughboys game to be held at MAW Airsoft, Melton Mowbray
HeadShot
Fought at the Battle of Hastings
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Re: How was it for you?

Postby HeadShot » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:12 pm

Wladek wrote:Hello :D

I realise that me being massively busy this week for Flying Lead this weekend, and thus putting off posting here, could be construed as being due to despondency on my part, or a symptom of some deep irritation.

So, now I am packed and wearing my frock coat at work I would just like to say thank you.

It is hardly surprise for an organiser to say thanks I know, but I am truly thankful. To my dear (departed) US soldiers, and their intrepid squad leaders, you never once balked, winged or sighed when I threw you time after time at the enemy defences.
I was fearful all day that I was now running a game that I would hate to play – one side being thrown at a defender all day on a constant re-gen. By the time we were ‘scheduled’ for a German counter attack we didn’t even have any ground to defend, so it all felt a bit ‘meat grinder-y’.

So your play, and comments, are most welcome and if anyone has spent the last week going ‘that was a bit meatgrinder-y’ I apologise, and we will endeavour to learn.

I thank the Germans (you bastards) for being damned resilient – to look out and see shifting bodies of so much field grey was brilliant.

So I thank ya’all, and I will contribute to thoughts on Ammo and bandages when I have come to a firmer conclusion myself.

Apropos of nothing, I've bought river cobbler fish this week.

BTW, I think Webby has a point. Though it didn't really impact on the gameplay, it does help with the immersion if there's a proper scenario that everyone is bought into.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby MartinR » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:23 pm

"Each building could have had a resource attributed to it"

From the squarehead pov Herr Leutnant kept us in the picture pretty well, and we rather seemed to be working on the basis that various points and areas were key for the Amis. In a platoon level engagement I don't think the average landser/GI is going to be too bothered by the strategic situation though.

I thought the flow of the action with periodic firefights on isolated sections of the front and step by progress seemed pretty reasonable, and getting killed was a real pita so precluded lots of gung ho heroics. Everyone being cautious is also going to slow things down.

We were a bit surprised that the US never seemed to mass against one point, but maybe that was just our section of the front.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:46 pm

MartinR wrote:
We were a bit surprised that the US never seemed to mass against one point, but maybe that was just our section of the front.

Cheers
Martin

We actually did, several times, leaving a skeleton crew to hold our takings and masisng the rest on the train station, or the ridge etc. We just couldn;t break through.

To be fair, the Germans did outperform us that day. :(

Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:58 pm

MartinR wrote:"Each building could have had a resource attributed to it"

If that resource had been another couple of Americans then it would have been helpful!

MartinR wrote:From the squarehead pov Herr Leutnant kept us in the picture pretty well, and we rather seemed to be working on the basis that various points and areas were key for the Amis. In a platoon level engagement I don't think the average landser/GI is going to be too bothered by the strategic situation though.

I thought the flow of the action with periodic firefights on isolated sections of the front and step by progress seemed pretty reasonable, and getting killed was a real pita so precluded lots of gung ho heroics. Everyone being cautious is also going to slow things down.

I have to say on the immersion level I'm not that bothered about the reasons for attacking somewhere - as a humble GI even if section leader "why?" wasn't the question that came into my head more "how?" and "why us?". The immersion factor for me is trying not to get killed (something I clearly haven't got the hang of yet) rather than some higher strategic master plan.

I think a certain amount of caution/cowardice is a good thing. In some respects the more obstacles put in your way for re-gen the more you will treasure your life. As long as that doesn't conflict with the taking of hits of course.

MartinR wrote:We were a bit surprised that the US never seemed to mass against one point, but maybe that was just our section of the front.

We were massed... :oops:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
webby

Postby webby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Universal Gunner wrote:
I have to say on the immersion level I'm not that bothered about the reasons for attacking somewhere - as a humble GI even if section leader "why?" wasn't the question that came into my head more "how?" and "why us?". The immersion factor for me is trying not to get killed (something I clearly haven't got the hang of yet) rather than some higher strategic master plan.

*sigh*, point well and truely missed I think
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:24 pm

Yes charlie, wanted to avoid any 'the army has run out of fuel, get 3 jerry cans and bring them back' or such - pretty daft, never liked it.

Plus this is Third Army. Patton's nickname is old 'Blood and Guts' - and it aint because he looses his own.

You were all being sacrificed on the alter of one man's ego.

webby

Postby webby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:27 pm

I had said in my oringal post about having a building attritubed to something tangeable, I wasn't referring to having pyhsical objects to harvest and bring back to the CP. :)

Nevermind, I'll go back in my fox hole
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:58 pm

webby wrote:Nevermind, I'll go back in my fox hole

As every good GI should... ;)
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Universal Gunner
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Universal Gunner » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:06 pm

webby wrote:
Universal Gunner wrote:

*sigh*, point well and truely missed I think

:roll:
Not at all, or may be. My post wasn't directly in response to yours. I was simply airing my feelings on the subject, however unwelcome. :D

Mine was a generally tongue in cheek post which may have been missed but the point remains that, for me, the lack of a detailed back story had no discernible effect on my enjoyment of the event or my motivation or "game attitude" and was not anything I even thought about during the day. I am clearly simple and easily pleased. Each to their own.

Wladek wrote:Yes charlie, wanted to avoid any 'the army has run out of fuel, get 3 jerry cans and bring them back' or such - pretty daft, never liked it.

Plus this is Third Army. Patton's nickname is old 'Blood and Guts' - and it aint because he looses his own.

You were all being sacrificed on the alter of one man's ego.

And for me that was the feeling I had - whether it was Patton's or the clearly insane Colonel's is open to debate!

For me it was enough to be told that the resources were diverted elsewhere and we were ostensibly only a reconnaissance unit but the Colonel had other ideas!

That formed my game attitude which happened to coincide perfectly with my normal one of "bloody hell, some bugger's trying to kill me"
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I have a small skewer hidden in the collar of my jumping jacket, and a razorblade in my gaiter, as well as my knife.
webby

Postby webby » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Yith wrote:As every good GI should... ;)

Yes Sarge *grumbles unaudiably*
Joseph Porta

Postby Joseph Porta » Tue May 01, 2012 9:30 am

great pictures pete :good:
"Take that you rotton helping of strawberry flan!"
Joseph Porta to "strawberrys and cream", in the sven hassel book ,ogpu prison

Return to “Patton Stalled - 15th April 2012”