cheap german neck scarf and gloves.

An AGS event to be held at UCAP's sandpit site, Dartford, Kent
django
Veteran
Veteran

cheap german neck scarf and gloves.

Postby django » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:40 pm

for sevastopol in feb i have picked up some small items to help me keep warm and have that period look without breaking the bank. the following items are not exact replica's but pretty damn close to wermacht stuff, and its fair to say that this early in the war troops would have appeared on the eastern front wearing the odd item hand knitted by relatives or donated by the general public as seen in the german news reels of the time.
first up is a hand pair of grey knitted gloves made by thinsulate. they cost around £3 posted from fleebay and are almost identical to the period types used. they will come with a thinsulate logo tag on the back of the hand instead of the two white lines but this is easily removed by picking the stiching off or digging away at the glue with a stanley knife blade.
next up is a neck warmer come balaclava. i know these as a snood but they go under several names such as "oma scarf" and "neck torque". mine is again grey in colour and is nice and cheap at only £3.50 posted also from fleebay. these are quite thin in places and fit well under your helmet to give you that instant stalingrad look! checkout the links below, these are good period style items which will keep you warm along with getting the eastern front winter look for lots less than buying from big time retailers. :good:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORF-Warm-Win ... 826643a4f5
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160688445438? ... 1423.l2649
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Gollob
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Re: cheap german neck scarf and gloves.

Postby Gollob » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:36 pm

Good finds :good:
Everything for the Front. Everything for Victory.
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:38 pm

Nice one mate. :)

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:46 pm

I use the Thinsulate ones myself - looks like grey wool from 3ft and I'd say a bit more practical than knitted wool. :good:

My toque is a the proper grey jersey knit tube thing though, just the job in perishing February, along with the old greatcoat.
(sold by Epic for £10 or so http://www.epicmilitaria.com/product.php/46/woollen-neck-toque who also have scarves for a fiver http://www.epicmilitaria.com/product.php/774/german-army-scarf)
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mattywheels
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Mattywheels » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:18 am

Looks good, well worth investigation especially for the small cost! One question on the scarf, what is the material like? On eBay it looks quite fleece like, how does it look in the 'flesh'??
ImageImageImageImage
django
Veteran
Veteran

Postby django » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:22 pm

yes the outer material of the scarf is very fleece like but there's an inner part more like silk which pulls out so it can be either really. again its not exact but at a 3ft distance its a good buy. i'll try to get some photo's up of me wearing the stuff on the weekend.

Lardassmonkey
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby Lardassmonkey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:50 pm

The gloves look good but like Matty says the Toque looks a little fleecy for my liking. I have two myself already and use them all the time, one german one I think I got from Militarianet and one Brit surplus one for £1 that I use walking the dog. I did find a cheap place for the German gloves complete with white rings but i've forgotten where it was now.

These gloves might do for those that do want unlined knit type, although they're not wool either. Even cheaper though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PAIR-MENS-GREENY-GREY-GLOVES-EASEDEN-SKI-BNWT-/320801767605?pt=Men_s_Accessories_UK&hash=item4ab14680b5

These ones actually do have white rings, of a sort. :D
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Peter-storm-mens-knitted-gloves-brown-tagged-size-s-m-/170742627410?pt=Men_s_Accessories_UK&hash=item27c10dbc52

If any Russians are looking for gloves then try here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Soviet-Army-5 ... 2a16106ec2

Original (the same type was used into the 90s) so a little pricer but hardly a rip off. Excellent seller though. I'll keep an eye for an even cheaper option.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
django
Veteran
Veteran

Postby django » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:19 pm

yeah the easeden gloves look pretty much the same and the peter storm ones look fine to me as well. i think there's enough options here for people to get kitted out with suitable stuff. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BNWT-Mens-Kni ... 3a6b90cf41 maybe these gloves for the ruskies?

Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:30 pm

Kind of the wrong colour for Russian issue gloves. Not that they couldn't have used other non issue types.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
django
Veteran
Veteran

Postby django » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:56 pm

one pair of cheap gloves and one fitted snood. still looks like a bargain buy to me!
Attachments
Snood.JPG
Gloves.JPG

McVickers

Postby McVickers » Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:59 pm

I thought that the white rings on German gloves were only viewable from the inside only? if so, then surely the lack of white rings, which wouldn't be visible when worn, isn't a worthwhile point?
Or are the white rings visible from the outside of the gloves?

A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:08 pm

No, you're right, McV. To be honest, any grey gloves will do the trick - soldiers would have knitwear sent from home to supplement what was issued, and winter of 41 they didn't have much issued!

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:12 pm

The size rings can be found in blue and green also.
They should be on the inside so for gaming the rings are somewhat pointless.
For collecting.....
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "

Return to “Sevastopol - 4th February 2012”