Weather Forecast

An AGS event to be held at UCAP's sandpit site, Dartford, Kent
MartinR
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: Weather Forecast

Postby MartinR » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:11 pm

I can't say driving back was an especially enjoyable experience, once I got north of Nottingham there were only a few cars left on the road as we ploughed through the snow on M1, but a big column going south following three snow ploughs. Lots of wrecks, cars spun off etc, there was only me and two other cars left after Junction 28 ploughing along in a little column. Still a blizzard at that point so I came off at 29.

Inevitably the last ten miles were the worst, slow down the A617 and through Chesterfield, but the A61 north of Chesterfield was just chaos on the big hill - sliding and abandoned cars all over the place. Snow gear, new front tyres and zig-zagging on the steepest bits got me over that and and then I was careful to down home downhill all the way as every uphill in Sheffield was full of stuck cars.

Four hours twenty minutes and only missed the first ten minutes of Borgen :)

Hope everyone else got back OK.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
marsha
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby marsha » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:40 pm

i had a really bad time going home my sat nav died then my phone battery died on me too
so leaving was a real nightmare and very scary not knowing the places and no i can't read a map
not a single gritter on the roads last night i started out at 6pm got home 1am in the morning
very stress atmo as it frightened the crap out of me the motorways were very heavy with snow and what made the
driving worse was more snow coming down saw alot of cars off the road lorrys speeding past
when clearly says 30mph at some point i was doing 20 as the roadds were getting really bad
i have never seen anything like it and its something ill have to think about if this ever happens again
ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Chomley-Warner
Site Admin

Postby Chomley-Warner » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:22 pm

Crikey, 7 hours to get back?! I was bathed and fast asleep two hours before you put a key in your door and we had much further to go.

The silly thing is the snow wasn't bad really, a bit blizzardy but not that dense as I could see the road clearly a mile ahead for the entire journey, it was just that some major roads were ill-prepared, despite the warnings for days previously. :evil:

The lorries were a godsend actually, swooshing a clear path and often reopening a snow dusted second lane that cars avoided. Some stupid tailgating going on though, all of them accidents waiting to happen and a completely avoidable risk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Yeah, I was very glad that 99% of the journey was on motorways or major dual carriageways. By the time we got to Chesterfield the roads were pretty clear. About 5 1/2 hours for us.

One of the scariest moments was when a huge Eddie Stobbart's lorry zoomed past us on the A14. But it did exactly as you said CW and cleared quite a bit of snow.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

Poacher
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Poacher » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:53 pm

It was midnight before I got home. Delivering Rich into the Lincolnshire country side and then on through Lincoln on the A15 was huge amounts of fun but hard work. 20mph was the speed most people chose.
None of the A15 had been ploughed apart from one hill in Lincoln.
If the Focus did not have traction control I think I'd have been stopping with Rich.
Speaking of Focus thanks to the kind souls who helped with a good push when the beastly thing would not start.
aka Stigroadie
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
AFRA
better by design

"Truth is a shining goddess, always veiled, always distant, never wholly approachable, but worthy of all the devotion of which the human spirit is capable. "
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:15 pm

i only had a short way to get home near guildford but the over night experience has me thinking hard,it was a bit too cold staying over on friday but was glad i did,may have to borrow a generator and bring an electric heater next time because as anyone who know's me would tell you i dont suffer from the cold but i was cold that night and there were three of us in a fairly small room.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
bosh
Veteran
Veteran

Postby bosh » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:35 pm

woke this morning on site to 4-5 inchs of snow, what a different game that would have been.

was a bit of a job getting to the gun turret for the final clear up, and pushing and bumping the krad up the big hill to the gates after, this must have been the way to keep warm on the eastern front :giggle:

but we set off about 11am to a easy run on the m25 with very little traffic and not one hold up :happyswing:

Image ImageImageImageImageImageImage[img]
ImageImageImageImage
pvtjohnny
Veteran
Veteran

Postby pvtjohnny » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:46 pm

:ghey: Ya southern softies!! I got home to tyneside at 2305! Outstanding work by the sounds of it! I thought the weather nippy but not too bad! All that was accomplished here is the reinforcing of "north south" steriotypes! :rofl:
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:01 pm

pvtjohnny wrote::ghey: Ya southern softies!! I got home to tyneside at 2305! Outstanding work by the sounds of it! I thought the weather nippy but not too bad! All that was accomplished here is the reinforcing of "north south" steriotypes! :rofl:

you did however go home rather than stay saterday night to enjoy the sunny south's better weather 8)
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Seanebabes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Seanebabes » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:30 pm

Yep, 5 1/2 hours for me to get home too. M1 was bl##dy awful, but it was after leaving the main roads I had the real trouble. Had to get out twice and dig snow from under the wheels to get through the peak district. Still... good exercise! :giggle:
ImageImageImage

Return to “Sevastopol - 4th February 2012”