A Grand Day Out!

A Wladek game to be held at Grange Farm, Leicester
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Re: A Grand Day Out!

Postby dadio » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:52 am

a couple more pics
well just one really,managed to put two pictures of Marsha up by mistake in my other post.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
CHThree
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby CHThree » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:39 am

What an excellent day's airsofting and game playing! The whole "sub 350 rifles only" idea was a roaring success and its exponents completely vindicated.

Years ago in PBI we had a training day where, in an attempt to be less "airsoftery", we were drilled in and practiced fire and maneuver section tactics from the WW2 training manuals. Yesterday was probably the first time we used those tactics effectively without being mullered by a hail of SMG rounds being lobbed at us from beyond the effective range of a sub 350 rifle or being deafeningly pinged in the tin hat by a high velocity gas rifle :-) . Everything was more tactical, and everybody was quite careful about not being shot.

Overall I think the Germans were much better shots than us Poles, ( I think there were more bolt action entusiasts / veterans on their side ;-) ) and when they advanced with purpose they were pretty formidable, but sometimes they seemed a bit timid in the assault so maybe the emphasis on "living to fight another day" had a real effect. It did with us:

dadio wrote: i remember my squad being pinned down by a concealed rifleman sniping from a berm,and i just saw the barrel of a rifle slowly extending between bushes,called the position out and he was cut down ,it was a real team effort.

hehe, I think that was me, I shot a german who had called out my position then after I was hit I was was patched up, we withdrew to the next berm and waited. It seemed to take you all an age to get there!
ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Lardassmonkey

Postby Lardassmonkey » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:53 am

As someone who regularly uses rifles at WWII games I was looking forward to this event a great deal and it did not disappoint! I had little doubt I would enjoy but was not as sure about others so it is heartening to hear how much they loved it and I hope Craig & Dean are thus encouraged further. I personally see the event as being pioneering in showing the way forward for WWII airsoft and its good to see other organisers taking note and considering the possibilities themselves as a result.

The standards of gameplay and sportsmanship were the best I've ever seen with truely embracing their roles. Standards of kit hardly needs mentioning these days since it is always so high but the were excellent as always, although we luftwaffe were undoubtedly the most dashing. :mrgreen:

Gameplay wise not having the concern of being cut down in a hail of AEG fire at close range was liberating and you might have expected it to make people over confident but it had the exact opposite effect. It slowed things right down as people advanced cautiously and encouraged teamwork & tactics as no one person had any hope of doing serious damage to the opposition. Instead being cut of from your squad left you in fear of being picked off by some hidden marksman and the strict medic rules in play leaving little leeway for rescue.

Speaking of which I thought the medic rules worked brilliantly. It led to a rotation of those taking the lead as we had to take into account who was more likely to survive an encounter with the enemy meaning we all shared the burden. I only got hit the once but the game afterwards I found myself very tense and unwilling to push forward knowing it was one strike and out. Thats the way it should be to me, knowing a hit has consequences and not just a short walk to respawn and of the main reasons why I've always been a fan of the 'combat mission' style events.

Thanks for Craig & Dean (and all their assistants) for all their efforts in putting this one together and to trying new ideas along with everyone who took part for making it possible and displaying such high standards in every regard.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:57 am

A few pics:

CIMG4643.JPG
CIMG4643.JPG (654.14 KiB) Viewed 856 times

CIMG4654.JPG
CIMG4654.JPG (643.45 KiB) Viewed 856 times

CIMG4652.JPG
CIMG4652.JPG (649.74 KiB) Viewed 856 times

Full set on Flickr here (well, not that full...) :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/47484028@N ... 656508478/

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Mattywheels
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby Mattywheels » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:20 am

Just to echo everyone else's comments, a fantastic day's action player in great spirit & no moaning by anyone! (surely a first???). Big thanks to Craig & Dean for all the hard working in getting the day put together.
ImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:42 am

I would like to thank every single player for really getting into the day, and we are both very pleased that people enjoyed this experience. We did not have any complaints about the sportsmanship throughout the day, and that always feels good for us. :D

There were some things we loved, most in fact, and inevitably some things which will need tweaking with so many new ideas coming into play. I will post up some form of synopsis in a while, but now a late runch calls, with the distinct possibility of bacon.

Cheers all. :good:

Simon
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Simon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:01 pm

darn gutted i missed this one, sounds great, to be honest the rifle only scenario was why i want to get into WW2 airsoft, i love the the full blown bb's flying everywhere, which is what i normally do most weekends in modern kit at the more "general" sites, but my hunger for "realistic" games remains unfulfilled........but this sounds like the dogs !!!!!(fill in the blank). lets hope this is the path ww2 airsoft takes as those who have attended have already stated.

it would make my life easier this coming saturday at the grange airsfair, as i still havent decide between a rifle or a AEG submachine gun...............suppose ill have to get both...simples :happyclap:

hurry up with the pics, cant wait to see them :D
ImageImageImage
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:31 pm

sorry Martin for the freindly fire but it wouldnt be a proper game if I didnt shoot someone on my side

:lol: serves me right for wearing a tan hued LFD jacket. I took a pot shot at our trusty Adjudent while he was running around in the woods in his splinter top and a forest on his head, looked just like a para.

Missed from 20 feet, not one of my best shots!

Cheers
Martin
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:44 pm

some more pics that Scott and I managed to snap during the day

dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:52 pm

chthree wrote
hehe, I think that was me, I shot a german who had called out my position then after I was hit I was was patched up, we withdrew to the next berm and waited. It seemed to take you all an age to get there!
yup that was me ,one in ma brain pan "squish"
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImage
Seanebabes
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Seanebabes » Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:31 am

There was a debrief in the pub for those that did not need to get home. The Polish commander...
Sophisticate.jpg
Sophisticate.jpg (506.01 KiB) Viewed 794 times

And for any that missed it, my Boy :lol:
My Boy.jpg
My Boy.jpg (149.16 KiB) Viewed 794 times
ImageImageImage
CHThree
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby CHThree » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:38 am

Is that your airsoft fitness regime, Craig?
ImageImageImage ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
MartinR

Postby MartinR » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:16 am

Speaking of which I thought the medic rules worked brilliantly.

Yes, I was going to comment on that. Even if we never do another 'rifles only' game again, the medic rules worked really well and could easily be used elsewhere.

I've played the odd 'one hit and you are out' game at Open Days, and even in that environment it completely changes the style of game play.

Cheers
Martin

Wladek

Postby Wladek » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:18 am

CHThree wrote:Is that your airsoft fitness regime, Craig?

well it was one sophisticated cheesecake.

Ramsay00105
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Ramsay00105 » Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:33 pm

Thanks to Craig And Dean for organising. Thanks to everyone else for making it a great event.
I managed to lose two things but found them again which is always a good result.
15 Plt. C Coy 2 Batt. S STAFFORDS 1st Airlanding Brigade 1st Airborne Division
The Hallamshire Battalion Y&L Regiment 146 Infantry Brigade 49 Inf Division

Return to “Eagles over the Rhine - 29th September 2012”