How Was It For You? After Battle Reports!

An AGS game to be held at UCAP, Kent
McVickers
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

How Was It For You? After Battle Reports!

Postby McVickers » Sat May 11, 2013 8:06 pm

First of all, I'd like to thank the organisers for another fantastic game - I've only been to one AGS game before (Il Giogo Pass), and once again I found myself in a quarry in KD :wink:

The beginning of the day started unlike any airsoft battle has started that I have ever played. Remember going to museums on school trips as a kid? Where to get you into the 'feel' of the displays, they tried to emerse you in to these world of the subject? The museum staff would lead you into a room, which inside would be a time machine/space rocket/landing craft, and after a projected video/sounds and smells/etc you'd a allowed out of a door in the opposite wall in front of you, and on into the rest of the museum mocked up with all of the artifact displays?...

Well, for the Brit' contingent, we were just a bunch of airsofters waiting for a WW2 themed game to start in some quarry outbuildings...

...then all of a sudden, an air-raid warning sounds! The entrance to the airfield's air-raid shelter is pointed out to us, and we instinctively dash for cover inside. Once inside, we can hear the Luftwaffe flying overhead, bombs dropping, closer, closer, then *BANG* A very close one indeed. Then another sinking into the ground nearby and beating the walls of the shelter. Small clouds of dust sink from the shelter ceiling. All goes quiet, as the Luftwaffe finish their pass over. Have they finished? Have we got off lightly? We hear the whiny drone of the planes near the airfield again, dropping more of their payload with greater accuracy, presumably unhindered from the local AA guns we can't hear firing any more. The airfield edifices now easy pray to aircrews who could now take their time to drop their bombs with a bit more precision. Three more terrifyingly close blasts, seemingly right on top of the re-enforced earth-covered shelter. The whiny drones of the Luftwaffe heading home fade into the distance. We head-count, ready ourselves, regain our nerves, as the 'all clear' finally sounds. We tentatively exit the shelter, a few men venturing out to scout first to check the safety of our exit and the surrounding superstructures, before the rest of the sections of the battalion step out...

...back onto our sun drenched airfield in Crete.

Time for us to go assess the damage and ensure the airfield and its surrounding are still secure...
A Proud Member Of 'Team Spleen!' who play mainly at Gunman Airsoft, Tuddenham, Suffolk.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

MartinR

Re: How Was It For You? After Battle Reports!

Postby MartinR » Sat May 11, 2013 8:35 pm

Just got back, completely knackered and surrounded by piles of wet clothing and webbing.

Great day out, magnificent effort by the organisers and the players. Great standard of play and kit. Loved the air raid (above), what a brilliant idea, and also really enjoyed spending an hour digging trenches and filling sandbags. Final highlight was running for the boats to get off the island :rofl:

I took a few pictures, I'll sort them out in the next couple of days and maybe post something more coherent.

Cheers
Martin
"Mistakes in the initial deployment cannot be rectified" Helmuth von Moltke
Toys: AGM MP40, Cyma M1A1, TM M14/G43/SVT40, TM VSR/K98, SnS No. 4, ASG Sten, Ppsh.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Steiner
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Steiner » Sun May 12, 2013 9:13 am

Firstly, I would like to say a massive thank you to all who participated in the event, and made it what it was. Special thank yous to those who helped us practically, brought props, lent us kit, and transported troops and kit throughout (Mr Ramsay!). It was great to meet everyone, particularly the first-timers to an Army Group South event, and for some, their first WW2 airsoft event. Massive hats off to both Daniel and Dejan as WW2 first-timers, whose kit was absolutely spot-on - well done indeed.

Having only used about a quarter of the site at the Sevastopol event, this time, pretty much all of it was used. Both the FJ and GJ started on the far side of the site, and had to make their way to their initial objectives. It was most interesting to see what was going on on top of that mountain - little figures scurrying about, and the occasional smoke puffs the only clues to the battle that was raging up there. As leader of Dora (the explorer) Gruppe, we negotiated our way and tried to use the lie of the land and shrubbery to hide us from the prying eyes of both the mountain outpost and the turret fortification which was our first objective. I found this journey equally as exciting as any firefight, I must say.

Overall, the gameplay and sportsmanship standards were the best I have ever experienced - well done to you all. :good:

Andy. (Aching all over, climbing up and down all those bloomin' little mountains! :giggle: )

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

You've got nothing to ein, zwei, drei, vier
Hurrah
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Hurrah » Sun May 12, 2013 10:09 am

Urgh. I ache from the exertion, have bangs and bruises in places I can't explain, shoulder sore from carrying the Bren Gun half the day, and an ear to ear grin. All the signs of a great day.

Thank you.

To the tune of "Mademoiselle from Armentières"

Napoleons army ran away, As you do
The guard stood firm for Frances Pride, As you do
They said the guard will stand and die
But we heard what their Colonel cried
It wasn't pretty I tell you.

ImageImageImageImage
Resistance is fertile
Cheeky Chappy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cheeky Chappy » Sun May 12, 2013 2:58 pm

Great game. :good: A long hard day. :| Lot's of fun and fair play by both teams. I felt it was great to meet so many new faces and make new friends including the old and revered as well as the first timers. Steiner, Bosh, Daniel and Dejan to mention but a few. :happydance:

After a long drive down from Yorkshire, Dave (Manpig) and myself grabbed a room for the night and set out our kit before changing into our dress uniforms and strolling out. By the end of the night I was rolling drunk and a happy FJ. Luckily at 06.30 I was awake and relatively clear headed without a hangover. :happyswing:

09.00 outside for the briefing and then onto the JU52 (Land Rover) for the drop. Next thing I'm on my own having landed safely on the island of Kreta. Looking for my Komeraden and a drop canister. Lukily both turned up quite soon and once the sections were united and weapons distributed we were off to find the Tommies.

Due to the large size of the site it was quite a march before the first contact. Occasionally the enemy could be seen on the far horizon scurrying around or digging in to form defensive positions. Eventually we made first contact and attacked to Tommies in good FJ fashion. :x

What followed was, as I said at the top, a great game. Good sportsmanship and role play on both sides with good leadership and control within the FJ and from what I could see on the Brit side too. My own personal favourite moment of the day and one I shall not soon forget was when I was on point and came across the entire British contingent at their tea break. . . . "Hände hoch!" I shouted, the response from the English officer is too rude to print here as he put his hands in the air along with his men. :happyclap: Great fun and role play by all.

Here are some pics:
Serious for the camera!
IMG_3112.JPG
Serious for the camera!
IMG_3112.JPG (132.88 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

And Relax!!
IMG_3113.JPG
And Relax!!
IMG_3113.JPG (134.92 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

Oh! that German sense of humour - A little harmless horseplay with a captured Tommy!
IMG_3126.JPG
Harmless horseplay!!!
IMG_3126.JPG (94.67 KiB) Viewed 1419 times

Well done Daniel for being such a good sport. :giggle:

More pics to follow :good:
Last edited by Cheeky Chappy on Sun May 12, 2013 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image Image Image Image ImageImage

Hitler was a better dancer than Churchill, he was a better skater than Churchill . . .
Cheeky Chappy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cheeky Chappy » Sun May 12, 2013 3:08 pm

Yith resplendent in his British officer uniform and sporting a Cheeky Chappy flesh tone mask.
Yith in mask.JPG
Yith in mask.
Yith in mask.JPG (126.65 KiB) Viewed 1413 times

First time airsofters Daniel and Dejan.
Daniel and Dejan.JPG
Daniel and Dejan.
Daniel and Dejan.JPG (108.54 KiB) Viewed 1413 times

Hände hoch! Cheeky Chappy's proudest moment. :happyswing:
Capturing the Tommies.JPG
Hände hoch!
Capturing the Tommies.JPG (103.79 KiB) Viewed 1413 times

Note the defiant gesture from the Tommy on the extreme right of the picture. :giggle:

Hitler was a better dancer than Churchill, he was a better skater than Churchill . . .
Cheeky Chappy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cheeky Chappy » Sun May 12, 2013 3:30 pm

Brits on parade.
Brits on parade.JPG
Brits on parade.
Brits on parade.JPG (134.04 KiB) Viewed 1404 times

Krauts on Kreta.
Krauts on perade.JPG
Krauts on Kreta.
Krauts on perade.JPG (92.54 KiB) Viewed 1404 times

Waiting for the JU52.
FJ waiting for the JU52.JPG
Waiting for the JU52.
FJ waiting for the JU52.JPG (107.66 KiB) Viewed 1404 times

Cheeky Chappy
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Cheeky Chappy » Sun May 12, 2013 3:36 pm

Dave, (Manpig) - Scouting ahead on the march to the airfield.
Manpig scouting ahead..JPG
Scouting ahead.
Manpig scouting ahead..JPG (133.81 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Steve, (Cheeky Chappy) on the march to the airfield.
Cheeky Chappy scouting.JPG
Scouting ahead 2.
Cheeky Chappy scouting.JPG (177.21 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

FJ approaching the airfield.
FJ on the march to the airfield.JPG
FJ on the march.
FJ on the march to the airfield.JPG (122.63 KiB) Viewed 1402 times

Hänschen klein

Postby Hänschen klein » Sun May 12, 2013 4:15 pm

A big thanks to all that attended, nearly 50 players is a great turn out especially in the current financial climate. A great effort made by players who traveled extraordinary distances,Yorkshire and Somerset to play,we must be doing something right as a group for that commitment. :good:

Game play all day was 1st class by both sides and the effort made in kit was amazing, old hands improving their look (Tim nice flower on the jump smock sort of Edelweiss tulip crossbreed) :rofl: , and even a 1st time player who had kit I think he could have joined a re encator group with.

For me personally I had a great day marshaling my zug of Berta gruppe FJ around, we made some great co ordinated section attacks with the support MG in a suppressing role. Thanks to my section :good: Oh and I guess thanks to Steiners section :D event though they did turn up a little late for the attack on the Gun emplacement but they made up for it in the afternoon overwhelming the Brits in the causeway. :good:

The site really made you feel you were in Crete, rocky outcrops grassland just missed a little sun, although the hill we went up was steep pulling and pushing our drop cannister, someone remarked "This is the full on experience" they were right full immersion in the mind set by all, I will just have to make a mechanical donkey next time for the FJ transport.

I hope people had fun with my props. The Stuka shell UXB, and the Brit air raid, that seemed to be a big hit.

Downside the Germans left `Herman` hanging on the cliff face no one went to cut him down. Have you not seen Band of Brothers or the Longest day :shock: shame on you. Brits if you had cut `Herman` down and searched him for intel, you never know what you might have found 8) Basics :D

Again big thank you to all who attended if you don`t support our group in events then our hobby may well be scaled back :good:
Attachments
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (66.34 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
Picture6.jpg
Gun emplacement after the air raid
Picture6.jpg (154.21 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
Picture1.jpg
UXB stuka shell that the engineers diffused
Picture1.jpg (106.51 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image ImageImage Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image
Hänschen klein

Postby Hänschen klein » Sun May 12, 2013 4:20 pm

more pics

OH and Herman is life size hanging from the cliff
Attachments
Picture8.jpg
Picture8.jpg (89.88 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Picture4.jpg
Picture4.jpg (182.92 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Picture9.jpg
Picture9.jpg (97.17 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Picture7.jpg
Picture7.jpg (181.74 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Picture5.jpg
Picture5.jpg (171.29 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Picture3.jpg
Picture3.jpg (148.72 KiB) Viewed 1383 times
Image Image Image Image ImageImageImage Image ImageImage Image
Image Image Image Image Image Image
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun May 12, 2013 5:02 pm

had a bit of rest,bath and food and can now reflect on the day.
from the off and scattered drop and the re-grouping at the beginning to the hunt for the weapon's containers it set the day in the right frame.once we were all armed it was a sense of relief like having clothes on again and reduced fear of British patrol's, then the teamwork to haul the wheeled supply canister over rough ,sometimes steep terrain (top mark's to Gordon ).then all to soon Dora split off on their separate approach as we watched the Jebrigejager attack in panorama in the distance.our groupen was seen first by the British and the decision was made to draw fire and make an attack to cover the final approach of Dora .lunch saw us gain the heights and re-joined by the successful Dora and despite a spirited flanking counter attack we were able to secure our position .then after lunch we captured the British at tea then on to the grand pincer movement as both German contingent's combined for the assault on the last pocket of resistance , finally the dignity of the British was saved as they managed a rain soaked withdrawal to the waiting transport ships.
oh my god i ache today.thank you all especially the AGS team for making it all happen.
just got to add my admiration of the steely nerve shown by the high number of Brit's in shorts :good:
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
GreenMogH
Just Out of Training
Just Out of Training

Postby GreenMogH » Sun May 12, 2013 5:38 pm

My dad and I had a truly fantastic time at our first WW2 game. The standard of kit was top notch, not to mention the sportsmanship of both sides. Playing with our fellow Gebirgsjäger was an experience to remember, especially when I was one of the MG crew!

A massive thanks to all at AGS and players themselves, here's to many WW2 games to come.
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Sun May 12, 2013 6:07 pm

Well done AGS another roaring success :good:

A very well thought out game with all the fantastic props that AGS have become renown for (I especially loved the UXB :thumbs: ).

Great to see old friends again as well as new faces, I'll 2nd Steiner - Daniel and Dejan had great kit and a great attitude, hope to see you both at another game soon.

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice over the weekend, our community is a great source for knowledge and ideas.

Hard to pick out my favorite bits but I especially enjoyed the long approach march, not knowing when you will run into the enemy and having to advance in groups using cover was great fun.

Excellant gameplay by all, only the weather let us down at the end of the day, the sight of all those brits in their shorts soaked through by a sudden downpour brought a smile to my face :rofl:

And finally some pics
Attachments
PICT0008a.jpg
PICT0008a.jpg (694.98 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
PICT0007a.jpg
PICT0007a.jpg (458.3 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
PICT0010.JPG
PICT0010.JPG (864.29 KiB) Viewed 1328 times
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Sun May 12, 2013 6:16 pm

another
Attachments
PICT0012a.jpg
PICT0012a.jpg (295.39 KiB) Viewed 1319 times
Rene "Are you one?"
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Sun May 12, 2013 6:16 pm

another
Attachments
PICT0013a.jpg
PICT0013a.jpg (309.8 KiB) Viewed 1317 times
Rene "Are you one?"

Return to “The Battle for Crete - 11th May 2013”