After battle reports and pictures

A 900 Days game to be held at RIFT Airsoft, Oxfordshire
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Re: After battle reports and pictures

Postby bigkie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:58 pm

Thanks Tim for your second post but please I don't want any arguments to be created here and although I realise you want to defend your opinion of the weekend Headshot is fully entitled to his and if he it is reciprocated by other players I will deal with a full response here later for everyone to see if not i will address him personally as without this type of viewpoint on the game we will not be able to make improvements.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:15 pm

did not take many photos as just never had the time lol but here are a few
Attachments
GOPR0107.jpg
GOPR0107.jpg (809.83 KiB) Viewed 519 times
GOPR0086.jpg
GOPR0086.jpg (437.56 KiB) Viewed 519 times
GOPR0072.jpg
GOPR0072.jpg (466.59 KiB) Viewed 519 times
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:17 pm

and 3 more
Attachments
GOPR0140.jpg
GOPR0140.jpg (897.42 KiB) Viewed 517 times
GOPR0132.jpg
GOPR0132.jpg (892.69 KiB) Viewed 517 times
GOPR0112.jpg
GOPR0112.jpg (816.91 KiB) Viewed 517 times
Yith
10,000 posts
10,000 posts

Postby Yith » Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Well for me the morning was great. Laying the field phone cable, setting up the Artillery and destroying buildings.

However, it did feel a bit daft to be able to clearly see pioneers attempting to clear mines but being under direct orders not to open fire on them. They could see us as well and we were easily in range. When I suggested to a comrade that perhaps he should attempt to hide he told me that they knew he was there so why should he bother. I decided it wasn't worth arguing.

On the other hand the afternoon was not so great. The artillery squad was sent to defend the same section of the line more or less all afternoon. With little to no action. As Steve said the ambush was a major let down for us.
This wouldn't have been so bad except that we could hear the other flank getting into continuous fire fights whilst we just sat in cover and did nothing. We didn't once get to fight over the area where the action was.

Eventually we were given better position for the "final assault". From my perspective this was great, though I know this is where some of the problems with cheating were noted. The counter assault by the soviets was less good however. This was probably due to the misunderstanding about where we were to meet up after being wiped out at the German attack and we just went back in dribs and drabs without any aim or leadership to speak of, only to be shot up or having to retreat. In the end I just gave up and decided to get my field phone cable reeled back in.

I didn't personally see any cheating, but I know that others did and it wasn't just Steve who was annoyed at it. However I have my suspicions that it was just a single player at fault.

The destroying of buildings completely by the Artillery did not work, period. I had to repeatedly be reminded that a building was no longer in play. It seemed a real shame that they were taken out of the game as the prime feature of the site is those buildings. More use of the combination would also have been good. The site has a great road way and it could have been put to a lot better use than just the single run around for the ambush.

Having said all that when I did get to shoot my Zeta Labs Mosin, it worked brilliantly with some fantastic long range kills. :good:

Anyway, thanks to Bigkie and Lardy for running the event. Please don't be downhearted by the "constructive criticism". It's a learning experience and I'm sure your next event will deal with the issues from this and be a blinder.
Sent from my WS-18 using Morse.

HeadShot
Fought at the Battle of Hastings

Postby HeadShot » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:07 pm

prideofengland wrote:It seemed to me that ammo limmits were by in large being adhered to, we had a lot of bolt actions on the German side and your never going to run out of ammo in one life at 100 rounds with a bolt action. Even the guys with automatics said they were normally dead before they used their 100 rounds, I carried a ammo tin for my squad to reload on and it was hardly used because we were back at regen so often :slap:

Re-reading my post I can see that I've worded this badly, so I've clarified it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:10 pm

bigkie wrote:Thanks Tim for your second post but please I don't want any arguments to be created here and although I realise you want to defend your opinion of the weekend Headshot is fully entitled to his and if he it is reciprocated by other players I will deal with a full response here later for everyone to see if not i will address him personally as without this type of viewpoint on the game we will not be able to make improvements.

Of course, no probs. My intention was not to start an argument :good:
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
dadio
Fought at the Battle of Agincourt

Postby dadio » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:40 pm

with reference to the mortar , it could not be used any other way due to the tree canopy , either it would get stuck on the way up or on the way down , so it had to be fired on a flat trajectory ,i know it must have looked crap but it was how i was instructed to use it , otherwise we would not have had any artillery on the German side. the Russian anti tank gun , well in the heat of battle it was not always easy to hear the shouted message about where it was aimed especially if you had no direct line of sight on it so a player letting you know you were dead was the only way to know some times, i know i was blown up twice when i was behind the building in question and did not know i was dead until told and then took the kill with good grace.
i think there is a split between the two perspectives of the German and Russian sides on the criticism of the game ,most German's seem to have had a better day with more variety as we covered the hole site progressively over the day whereas the Russians were in a smaller area and were driven back all day witch is always a little disappointing .
on the taking of hits , well i think i died about 20 times and probably only made 5 kills ,the assault was far harder from our perspective than it may have seemed to the Russians.
ammo was never in short supply , i had 3 mags with 30 or so bb's in each for my mp40 and i never got to my third mag before dieing all day, again this may have seemed like we were cheating but from my point of view i don't think there was ever the need to cheat.
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Wladek

Postby Wladek » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:11 pm

In general I would say I agree with Headshot's and Rich's comments. regarding the 'destruction' of buildings, and the 'pretend you haven't seen them' I have little much to add.

The odd paardox was that I found was that playing with the artillery guns was most enjoyable part of the day, yet it further confirmed my general view that they just don't work in airsoft, there is no way to make them meaningfully take part. It is impossible for those being fired at with them to know they have been shot at as there is just a distant bang, so in functional terms they become a distraction. Like I say it was fun to play with them, but I agree with Steve and go further - not anly do props not make a game, they can distract from it. I mean making noise in uniform is fine, but I could get that from a re-enactment battle if I wanted it, I like the additional element that airsoft should offer.

We had spent a lot of time doing nothing very much, and I am fine with that. I dont want a shoot, die, respawn, all day as it gets boring after about an hour. when you have to man a front, then you have to cover the front. The attacker has to concentrate on an area and that means that - if doing it properly - some defenders will always be holding an unengaged flank.
Could it have been rotated around more - so the Germans alternated their objectives, or the defenders relieved each other to share in the shooting - sure. That's something one learns with time, and the best laid plans can often go awry accidentally leaving a group on the quiet front in succession, it can happen to any of us very easily.

The standards of play too, I agree with Steve. By no means was there anything unbiquitously dodgy on either side, in fact most were playing as superbly as we have become accustomed to. But one or two were, in the most concise term, attrocious.
So when we were finally in a firefight my jaw dropped, and afterwards I was even thankful I had spent so much time not engaged. Someone would wander around the side of the building I was covering and then bimble back after being shot repeatedly. I always give the benefit of the doubt but after the third time I saw a shot bounce of them I could not any more. When I was hit (by someone else) I told Rich not to bother bandaging me, because I wasn't going to waste my time and bullets on more of that. In the counter attack I ended up against the same person, actually two people. I found it impacting my 'decisions' - "Dean can lay down cover fire and I will advance to... oh wait, we cannot do that as they are far enough away to get way with not taking their hit".
In the next attack I just could not work up the desire to do it. I kind of walked forwards with people, got clipped (by a nicely concealed German in a defensice position with a great shot I must add) and thought I have had enough, I am going back.
It was a minority, I hope only these two guys, but it totally destoryed my desire to 'fight', I was trying to check who I was engaging, trying to avoid them and short of walking up and sking their names I could not report anymore than 'a german in fieldgrey wool' to the CO - which was no help for them resolving the situation I quite understand.

It also highlights reasons why I do prefer what has come to be called the 'combat mission' structure - certainly on smaller games. Confusion can lead to it being thought of as scripted, or open-day like - but the most scripted and open day like games I have been to were re-gen games.
It allows a better control of the 'flow of the game' when you do not have lots of players to 'feed in and out', or a very large site for which the regen does not become a 'reload and run back to the front', so it is easier to keep check of who is sat doing nothing. Cheating is also easier to pin point as players are not constantly comming and going from the front. finally ammo limits have more impact - although this is also better accomplished by not having a re-load upon death in a regen game, so even if you die you have to take a token.

So in conclusion: There were some minor niggles which can be worked on and it was the experience of bad sportsmanship that had the worst impact on the day for me.

HeadShot

Postby HeadShot » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:44 pm

Yith wrote:Anyway, thanks to Bigkie and Lardy for running the event. Please don't be downhearted by the "constructive criticism". It's a learning experience and I'm sure your next event will deal with the issues from this and be a blinder.

This, 1000 times over.
Jimmiiee
Veteran
Veteran

Postby Jimmiiee » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:16 pm

Just a heads up. Photos are up on the RIFT website, think you need to be registered to veiw

http://www.riftairsoft.com/albumall.php?

prideofengland
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby prideofengland » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:17 pm

Pics are up at RIFT :good:
Rene "Are you one?"
Gruber "Vell, it vas very lonely on ze Russian Front."
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:26 pm

it appears from reading this each squad had a bit of a different day , as for most of the day we hardly saw any of the other 2 squads as we defended our bit of land , except a odd encounter at the bunker etc or bit of help attacking the big building .

for us rifles 2/ engineers etc it was mid afternoon that we really saw any of the rest of the site and that was only after a epic hard fought battle with the germans did we lose our minefield and we had to drop back and rejoin the main force. But before that time we had some slow bits and some fast bits though they were mainly shooting germans attacking the middle that maybe drifted our way a little too much.

But having talked to my 2 team mates who were with me we only had 1 case of cheating that we saw and that was later on in the afternoon and another german said sorry to my friend who was involved in it , and that was it for us, so we can't really say about any cheating. i really hope maybe it was just the 1 person who in all airsoft pops up in games , but thankfully in the ww2 scene not that often :)

on the ammo side of things our squad was using 5 rifles and 1 ppsh who was mainly our support from time to time and stayed away from any long bursts , but i never thought to myself that the enemy seemed to be spraying us a lot , we seemed to encounter more trading odd shots from rifles and grenades , i remember a few very very short bursts and that was it.

We never got really involved in the building attack apart from a few grenades etc , but i can understand the issues of the building been out of play if its there so to speak , only moan i had with the building was as it had a few rooms as soon as you put a nade in they ran to the others rooms lol and was hard to take out the germans inside, and that was when the artillery was brought up and yith blew it up lol

from my view our squad had a cracking day with a few really good fights , and did not seem to encounter some of the issues others had , only gripe i had was nettling the hell out of my hand :) so to recap again we had a great day , ache lots and would happily book again :)
cjw957
Fought at Waterloo
Fought at Waterloo

Postby cjw957 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:56 pm

some cool photos and some building not sure i ever saw lol
dadio

Postby dadio » Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:58 pm

a few pic's
armoury
m1a1 Thompson,sten mk2,mp40,stg44,sterling,mk2 bren gun,lee Enfield no4 mk1,Mauser Kar98, Walther ppk,smith and Weston m10 and Mauser m712
Give me a big enough hammer and a place to stand and I could fix the world.
i'll kill a man in a fair fight or if i think he's going to start a fair fight or over a woman or.......
a problem shared is a problem halved ,but an advantage shared is no advantage at all
if a job's not worth doing then its certainly not worth doing well

ImageImageImage
bigkie
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby bigkie » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:03 pm

Taster of RIFT photos now online, almost 400 of:

http://www.riftairsoft.com/content.php as stated above you have to be registered but tony will be on it asap.

ImageImageImage

Return to “Luga River Line - 13/14th September 2013”