Aussie gear

Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Re: Aussie gear

Postby Russe11 » Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:47 pm

http://www.warwicks.com.au/sales/r_aus_ ... s_boot.htm
It's taken me a while but I found some Aussie boots. I'm assuming that the WW1 ones are the same as WW2, everything else they had in 1940 was WW1 issue. Now if only I had some money :D
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:29 pm

Nice, did you notice that they're listed as WW1 issue but they say that they're 1934 pattern, so they're most likely the correct type. :good:
ImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:32 am

Great looking boots too. At £85 shipped to the UK, I'd be tempted to get a pair just for everyday use.
The boots have tipped the balance. Spending on my British impression is now on hold :)
I may only get to use it for walk ons but the Aussie gear is just too damn cool.
Shopping list then:
Hat, Jacket and Trousers from Spearhead
Boots
Matrix/iron airsoft SMLE (kinda dreading the hassle of getting one of these to work)
Rubber bayonet from Shoot and Scoot
Puttees (unless anyone knows where to get the 3 button anklets?)
Brodie helmet (yeah right, I'm really going to not wear the hat all the time :) )
KD shirt, shorts and long socks
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:31 am

Ha ha, I'm tempted now, too!

I was wondering about the 3 button gaiters myself, surely there must be a repro out there somewhere? Also if you're going to get a rifle I'd recommend waiting a little while as Warren of shoot and scoot has said that he'll be releasing a No1 Mk3 SMLE soon (VSR 11 based). Oh, and the Aussies used P08 (WW1 type) webbing with their service dress, but I can't see anyone pulling you up on using 37 Patt. :good:
ImageImageImageImage
BootedFeet
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby BootedFeet » Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:26 am

Russe11 wrote:Puttees (unless anyone knows where to get the 3 button anklets?)

Personally I'd be tempted to go for the puttees anyway mate, It was agreed by the British that they were actually better than the cloth anklets in use by most Commonwealth forces. Hence why the British army ditched the Anklets after WWII and issued puttees right into the 80s!
Also you can probably get a set of original Australian puttees for less than a set of repro anklets. Mine cost me £5 and are actually dated 1943. :)
I've fired a bullet on every continent. Nearly hit someone, too.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:43 am

killacommy wrote:Ha ha, I'm tempted now, too!

I was wondering about the 3 button gaiters myself, surely there must be a repro out there somewhere? Also if you're going to get a rifle I'd recommend waiting a little while as Warren of shoot and scoot has said that he'll be releasing a No1 Mk3 SMLE soon (VSR 11 based). Oh, and the Aussies used P08 (WW1 type) webbing with their service dress, but I can't see anyone pulling you up on using 37 Patt. :good:

My research indicates that although when they arrived in Britain the Aussies had P08 everything, they were quickly issued British or Canadian P37 Webbing and would have had this by the time they were sent to fight. Australian made P37 webbing wasn't available until later.
Pictures of Aussies seem to indicate that the 3 button anklets were ditched by the time they got to the desert, would be nice to have them with the service dress though.

Evike currently have the SMLE at $220 (£115) so if it's still that price when I have some money it may be worth the hassle. The SMLE is now listed as discontinued on the shoot and scoot site but looking through Warrens section of the forums, I got sidetracked by his plans for an M1 Carbine. I love the M1 Carbine and Aussies did tend to use American guns when working with American units, presumably to simplify supply issues. If an SMLE is coming soon at Shoot and Scoot it will cause a dilema.
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:42 am

All of the pictures and newsreels I've seen of Australian troops during/after the battle of Greece show them still in P08, same with a few I've seen from Crete. I didn't think the Aussies came to Britain, I was led to believe that they landed where they fought i.e. Egypt, Greece, Libya etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they didn't use 37 Patt webbing. They certainly did. All I'm saying is that they did also fight a couple of battles using P08. Mind you I'm just looking for an excuse to buy P08 webbing :giggle:

I'll leave this here, very good reference for loadouts:
http://stukasoverstalingrad.blogspot.co ... z.html?m=1
ImageImageImageImage
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:49 am

Evike currently have the SMLE at $220 (£115) so if it's still that price when I have some money it may be worth the hassle. The SMLE is now listed as discontinued on the shoot and scoot site but looking through Warrens section of the forums, I got sidetracked by his plans for an M1 Carbine. I love the M1 Carbine and Aussies did tend to use American guns when working with American units, presumably to simplify supply issues. If an SMLE is coming soon at Shoot and Scoot it will cause a dilema.

The new SMLE due is based on the VSR 11, the old is the one listed out of stock, but I think that's because they're made to order and you have to ring up to enquire. I expect the new SMLE to be priced around £350-£375, but if you can get the Iron airsoft SMLE working (reliably) it would be worth the money.

Also if you're gonna be in service dress, using an American weapon would look odd. The Aussies were in BD by the time they were fighting alongside the Americans.

[Edited due to grammatical error]
Last edited by Moss on Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:56 pm

Yes, definitely need an SMLE, but if I can get a gas one cheap it makes an M1 carbine a viable option later, when I'm doing Jungle greens :)
Aussies were not in BD at any point during WW2. It was Service dress->Khaki drill->Jungle greens.
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:05 pm

Are you sure? They certainly had their own battledress variant, which replaced service dress as their standard uniform.

[EDIT]Ah, I see what you mean. No they didn't fight in BD, What I meant was that they'd moved on from service dress by the time they were working with the yanks. I can see how that was a bit confusing.
ImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:23 pm

killacommy wrote:All of the pictures and newsreels I've seen of Australian troops during/after the battle of Greece show them still in P08, same with a few I've seen from Crete. I didn't think the Aussies came to Britain, I was led to believe that they landed where they fought i.e. Egypt, Greece, Libya etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that they didn't use 37 Patt webbing. They certainly did. All I'm saying is that they did also fight a couple of battles using P08. Mind you I'm just looking for an excuse to buy P08 webbing :giggle:

I'll leave this here, very good reference for loadouts:
http://stukasoverstalingrad.blogspot.co ... z.html?m=1

Most Aussies were landed where they were needed. The 1st lot to arrive were after Dunkirk but before the N Africa campaign. They were stationed in Scotland (To keep all the alcaholics in one controllable place?/To help acclimatise them ready for the Desert?/The Canadians got here 1st and nabbed all the good locations?) as part of the strategic reserve ready to counter any invasion force. It may be that they got kitted out and then other units arriving elsewhere received new webbing later as it was harder to supply it in battle zones. But yes, definite scope for getting a set of P08 gear. Hell the WW1 impression just needs a slightly different jacket and trousers which spearhead also stock :D

Battledress wise, they had it for Korea but only for armoured units, infantry still seem to have been in Service dress. Although Australian WW2 battledress does exist I believe it was made for export to other commonwealth countries. I have found evidence that it was used by US marines as they didn't have any smart uniform to use when on leave.
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:10 pm

Ah, I just assumed that once they had it they started using it. Lets just say that the marines stole it all. :giggle:

Yeah, it makes sense that those based in Britain would get 37 Patt, but the ones in Greece, Crete and Tobruk all landed in P08. The Aussies in Tobruk got 37 Patt rather quickly though. Either way, both P08 and 37 Patt are credible. :good:
ImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:21 am

Have ordered a jacket and Hat
Went for the brown jacket from the WW1 section of Spearhead rather than the green. This means my Battledress trousers will match and save me a few quid. Also this one has the insignia included for just £5 more, sourcing them separately would have been a nightmare. Both Green and Brown appear to have been used in WW2. It doesn't have the integrated belt so is fine for WW2.
Can't wait for an opportunity to wear it :D
Moss
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Moss » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:23 pm

Cool! Remember to post some pics when they arrive! :good:
ImageImageImageImage
Russe11
Fought at the Somme
Fought at the Somme

Postby Russe11 » Mon May 12, 2014 12:18 pm

To save a bit of cash, I looked for a cheaper pair of boots. I found these:
They looked a bit too yellow in the picture but when they arrived and the laces were replaced with leather laces, they look spot on.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/121138205596? ... 1423.l2649

Return to “Other Allied”